2023 CX-9 Carbon Edition selling without hands free lift gate

sxa

'23 CX-9 CE, '14 CX-5 Touring FWD, '16 CX-3 GT FWD
I saw a thread on the CX-5 regarding some features being left out of current models because of the chip shortage. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention because I discovered today that many of the the 2023 Carbon Editions that are selling are selling with a $50 Hands Free Lift Gate credit because they are missing the feature.

This was one feature my wife really wanted and it was one of the features where we both agreed the carbon edition is the right choice. Very bummed to see this.

It may not be a show stopper. The other features, colors and especially the passthrough captain seats and the Bose Sound system make it what we want and need. Just a bummer and I guess they feel the feature is only worth $50 but hopefully I can negotiate and pay less than MSRP to begin with.

That sucks that it's only a $50 credit on a car worth like $46k. I feel like it should be in the $150-200 range at least.

It looks like the hands free liftgate is still listed as standard equipment on mazdausa.com, so maybe you can still get it if you shop around and look at other 2023 CX-9 Carbons.

Reactions: sxa
I saw a thread on the CX-5 regarding some features being left out of current models because of the chip shortage. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention because I discovered today that many of the the 2023 Carbon Editions that are selling are selling with a $50 Hands Free Lift Gate credit because they are missing the feature.

This was one feature my wife really wanted and it was one of the features where we both agreed the carbon edition is the right choice. Very bummed to see this.

It may not be a show stopper. The other features, colors and especially the passthrough captain seats and the Bose Sound system make it what we want and need. Just a bummer and I guess they feel the feature is only worth $50 but hopefully I can negotiate and pay less than MSRP to begin with.
Lmao. Guaranteed if you buy it and get $50 credit then go to get the feature installed later it will cost you like $500 to $1000 Dollars. I would contact corporate Mazda and ask them how much it would cost to have it installed at a later date and if they will provide you a manufacturer credit of that amount now or of they will provide you a letter stating it will be installed later at no cost to you.

Either the manufacturer is shortchanging you or the dealer is. For all you know Mazda is crediting the dealer $1000 for the lost feature and they(dealer) are only giving you a $50 credit.

Well I ended up just getting my CX-9 instead of waiting for the possibility of a better deal. Certainly could have been shenanigans at play and I will be curious to see what folks report on new stock Carbon Editions but they had two with the hands free lift gate on the lot and so I picked one up. Will post full pricing details in the thread about what folks paid later.

My wife will actually be the primary driver and she is super happy and the hands free lift gate was a feature she really wanted.

$50 credit for this kind of feature seems really low. I am happy I ended up ordering CX9 GT 2022 here in Canada last April and was able to pick up my car at the end of July. There is no way to buy one directly from the lot in Canada. Orders only and waiting time of approx 3 to 4 months.

What is interesting that in Canadian brochure for 2023 Mazda Cx9 actually 2 versions of GT and Kuro are listed. One with hands free lift gate and the other one without it. Only Singnature has this feature unchanged. My guess is that even for Mazda this particular recent chip shortage came as a surprise. Looks like initially they started production of 2023 model with this feature and later they had to limit it only to Signature trim.

What is interesting that in Canadian brochure for 2023 Mazda Cx9 actually 2 versions of GT and Kuro are listed. One with hands free lift gate and the other one without it. Only Singnature has this feature unchanged. My guess is that even for Mazda this particular recent chip shortage came as a surprise. Looks like initially they started production of 2023 model with this feature and later they had to limit it only to Signature trim.

I can't vouch for how honest the dealer was being when he told me that all new Carbon Edition deliveries will not have it but I suspect he was telling the truth as prior to noticing the credit on window stickers on the dealer website it was listed when I tried the Costco Buying Program. I could have saved money going through Costco but that was a feature my wife was very interested in.

The '23 CX-9 are not losing the power tailgate. It's only the CX5 that had it moved up to Premium Plus and higher

my 2023 cx5 also had no gate and the upgrade radio my credit was $600, this radio is junk. I should have bought the standard cx5 live and learn.

Back