New CX-50 Quirks and Questions

Hello! Picked up my first Mazda, a CX-50 preferred Plus a few weeks ago. Loving the car so far but I have a few issues and questions.

1. There is a jerk when accelerating from a slow speed (below 5 mph) but not from a stop. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with cylinder deactivation when slowing down, and suddenly kicking in if you don’t come to a complete stop.

2. Major trim gap between the A-Pilar and the dash. Seems to be a known issue, just need to bring it back to the dealer to fix.

3. Does anyone know if it’s possible to install the seat memory module from the premium plus in the preferred plus? My wife really hated the seam in the leather seats which is why we went down to the preferred. I love the preferred seats, but really miss seat memory since we swap cars often. It looks like the switch panel would be simple enough to fix, but I’m guessing the electronic side is far from plug and play.

Hello! Picked up my first Mazda, a CX-50 preferred Plus a few weeks ago. Loving the car so far but I have a few issues and questions.

1. There is a jerk when accelerating from a slow speed (below 5 mph) but not from a stop. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with cylinder deactivation when slowing down, and suddenly kicking in if you don’t come to a complete stop.

2. Major trim gap between the A-Pilar and the dash. Seems to be a known issue, just need to bring it back to the dealer to fix.

3. Does anyone know if it’s possible to install the seat memory module from the premium plus in the preferred plus? My wife really hated the seam in the leather seats which is why we went down to the preferred. I love the preferred seats, but really miss seat memory since we swap cars often. It looks like the switch panel would be simple enough to fix, but I’m guessing the electronic side is far from plug and play.
1. I doubt that it's about cylinder deactivation, I'm pretty sure that is only at higher speeds but don't quote me. I bet it's due to have only 6 gears, I have a cx5 with the same transmission and it'll do that sometimes, you just learn how to work with it, or you could use manual mode which works pretty impeccably imho.

Not sure about the other questions, hope you get the seat memory figured out though!

And congrats on the car!

1. I doubt that it's about cylinder deactivation, I'm pretty sure that is only at higher speeds but don't quote me. I bet it's due to have only 6 gears, I have a cx5 with the same transmission and it'll do that sometimes, you just learn how to work with it, or you could use manual mode which works pretty impeccably imho.
Yeah focusing more on the issue its almost like the transmission shifts into neutral as you slow to a stop, and then has to re-engage when you release the brake and hit the accelerator. You can sort of feel it when you release the brake from a stop, although there is no lurch in this scenario.

I called the dealer about it today and they said it was normal. I'm not convinced, going to take it to a different dealer and actually drive with them.

Yeah focusing more on the issue its almost like the transmission shifts into neutral as you slow to a stop, and then has to re-engage when you release the brake and hit the accelerator. You can sort of feel it when you release the brake from a stop, although there is no lurch in this scenario.

I called the dealer about it today and they said it was normal. I'm not convinced, going to take it to a different dealer and actually drive with them.
Do you have auto start stop in the cx50? That's only supposed to be from a complete stop from what I've seen on other cars, but it could be related maybe?

If it's not about the engine though, I just touch the pedal gingerly when between 1-5ish mph because it can lurch sometimes if I don't ease in.

I did notice something amiss with the A pillar and the dash on both sides. The fabric or liner was coming out between the two. Like a brown color lining. Had to cut one off and the right side I am just leaving it out so far.

I did notice something amiss with the A pillar and the dash on both sides. The fabric or liner was coming out between the two. Like a brown color lining. Had to cut one off and the right side I am just leaving it out so far.
I've seen a couple of reports similar to this. Seems like it's the vibration padding strip coming out. Can you not just push it back down into the gap?

Have not tried to push it down, keep forgetting to bring down a tool to do so.

I noticed this possible issue on the model in the showroom awhile back. I was a bit surprised it was permitted to be in this condition on the floor.

Attachments

• cx50.jpg
    cx50.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 186
That photo is nasty and should have never left the factory like that. As far as the transmission issue I've havent noticed that on my 50 turbo but I can slightly feel that istop turn those cylinders on and off. Best thing to do is try to find the same model and drive it to see if you actually have a problem or not. Dealer should let you do that.

I checked my car today and sure enough I have the same issue as in the photo. Jeez how many left the factory this way? Doing first oil change next month will have dealer address it. Thanks for the heads up . Probably would have not noticed if you did not mention it on this forum.

Follow up after finally getting the car back to the dealer:

Trim gap was fixed, the original A pillar trim wasn’t installed properly. Tech reinstalled with no issues. Looks great now and no looseness or rattles so far.

Originally the tech couldn’t repeat the low speed lurch issue. I was able to stop by and take him for a ride and it immediately had a significant lurch at the first stop sign. Tech agreed that it was definitely abnormal said he would note it and bring it up to Mazda. No other obvious issues like transmission codes or software updates. This is pretty much what I expected and I’m glad the dealership agrees it’s a problem. I suspect it may take a while to get resolved, especially if it’s not widespread.

I've been putting some decent miles on the car and have a few more observations to share:

1. The transmission has more issues than just at very low speed. After spending some time in traffic it seems like there's some heaving at slow-ish speeds, like in a manual when you don't downshift properly. I plan to follow up with he dealer this week and see what they heard from Mazda.

2. The auto-seat warmer logic makes no sense. From what I can tell, the seat warmers will turn on when you start the car if you press the "AUTO" button and have the option checked in the menu. However, if you manually turn the heater off, it takes it off AUTO mode but this is not indicated anywhere. Both the amber AUTO light and the AUTO seat mode stay lit up. You can "re-arm" AUTO mode by pressing AUTO again, but then the seat heaters turn back on! The only way to turn off the heaters and stay in AUTO is to remember to press AUTO before you shut the car off. This is terrible logic. The seat warmers should automatically come on based on the ambient temperature when I start the car, regardless if I manually shut them of before. I like that they automatically taper off, but I don't like that I can't turn them off early without disabling the auto mode.

3. I really wish the infotainment would stay running when you turn the car off. I know the trick to hold the shifter button. But I thought this would just be standard practice after 2010 to leave the music/phone playing until the door is opened. At least make it an option.

4. The dash reflects on the windshield at night. Maybe I have an unusual seating position, but its somewhat distracting. I wish the glareshield was just a bit longer.

5. The bottom of the center console isn't a carpet or removable rubber tray. Instead, its just a precut piece of felt that isn't even secured to the bottom of the console. I don't get really bent out of shape over cheap materials, but this is pretty bad.

6. This is a real nitpick, but I wish the cylinder deactivation could be displayed alongside any other option. Why does it need to occupy the entire screen to show you when 0,2 or 4 cylinders are running? It could just be a little icon in the instrument cluster.

Back