Aftermarket TPMS sensors need to be programmed?

Hey guys.
Sorry if this was the topic already but i havent found the right answer. I guess most of aftermarket tpms sensors (which i need for my winter wheels) need to be programmed?
And if i do that, my question is when i put my summer wheels back (OEM) will they need programing too or it will connect automatically?
Its a Mazda CX5 2018 (European)

Yes, universal aftermarket sensors will need to be programmed for Mazda. Whoever sells you the sensors and installs them should have the programming tool required. You won't need to reprogram the original wheels when you put them back on.

So once i do the programing of the aftermarket sensors i can switch them back and forth without problems? Thats good news! Thank you!

There is a process you need to go through when swapping tires/wheels to get the car to recognize the different TPMS devices.

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 7.09.53 AM.png

So once i do the programing of the aftermarket sensors i can switch them back and forth without problems? Thats good news! Thank you!

Yes that's right, once the universal sensors are programmed, you can swap them back and forth without having to reprogram them again. Since your 2nd set of sensors are aftermarket, you might get a TPMS light after swapping them onto the car, but it should go away after some driving.

My 2018 CX-9 uses the same TPMS system and I don't even get TPMS warning lights after swapping wheels, and I've been doing it twice a year for 4 years now, BUT I'm using OEM sensors on both sets of wheels. No idea if that has anything to do with it.

There is a process you need to go through when swapping tires/wheels to get the car to recognize the different TPMS devices.

View attachment 314335
That cautions hurts Mazda's credibility. What's so special about their wheels?

I have aftermarket wheels and my original Mazda TPMS sensors, zero issues. I was cheap and didn't put sensors on my winter wheels. Next time, if there is one, I'll use aftermarket.

That cautions hurts Mazda's credibility. What's so special about their wheels?

I have aftermarket wheels and my original Mazda TPMS sensors, zero issues. I was cheap and didn't put sensors on my winter wheels. Next time, if there is one, I'll use aftermarket.

Just typical corporate CYA speak. I have aftermarket wheels and OEM sensors too, with no issues. But if someone were to get an aftermarket set of wheels that doesn't play nice with the OEM sensors, Mazda can refer to this to show that the sensors are meant for genuine Mazda wheels only.

For my replacement 16 inch wheels, I purchased a pack of Mazda tpms sensors on ebay for under $100.
Plug and play... Just tighten to correct torque, throw wheels on and drive.

That sounds great. Can you leave a link of the product? And how long have you been using them?
The seller I bought from is no longer there so just look for eBay sellers with similar part # BHA4-37-140 which is the metal stem sensor.

If you have the rubber stem sensor, that part # BDGF-37-140.

Metal BHA4-37-140
Rubber BDGF-37-140

Look through below thread for more info:

Post in thread 'TPMS Sensor part# BDGF-37-140' TPMS Sensor part# BDGF-37-140

Torque values for the metal (Aluminum stem) are below. Even though it says 71 inch pounds, you don't want to overtighten.
Can't remember but think I only tightened to about 30-40 inch pounds until snug.
At that point it feels like it may break off, just stop.
Been 7 months...Hasn't leaked yet. Remember if it does leak, you can always tighten it up some more later.
* If you only have a foot pound wrench, you'll need to go buy an inch pound wrench. Just tell your SO you need it.

Post in thread 'CX5 Sleek and Modest Offroad mods' CX5 Sleek and Modest Offroad mods

And also this post

Post in thread 'CX5 Sleek and Modest Offroad mods' CX5 Sleek and Modest Offroad mods

Last edited:
Back