Question about "Miles traveled" etc

:
Upstate NY
:
'23 CX5
Not sure this thread title is the most descriptive, but here we go. :)

I've spent much time going over the PDF manual -- which is mostly composed of italicized "warnings" about this or that -- but haven't run across this particular item, nor have I seen it when running through the screen manually as a programming option.

I'm wondering if there's a way of programming the main screen to automatically show miles traveled and MPG during a trip, upon reaching your destination and shutting the engine off. I've seen it in the right gauge when pressing "Info," but AFAIK that's just on the fly.

TIA!

I've spent much time going over the PDF manual -- which is mostly composed of italicized "warnings" about this or that -- but haven't run across this particular item, nor have I seen it when running through the screen manually as a programming option.

I'm wondering if there's a way of programming the main screen to automatically show miles traveled and MPG during a trip, upon reaching your destination and shutting the engine off. I've seen it in the right gauge when pressing "Info," but AFAIK that's just on the fly.

TIA!

There are two resettable trip meters in the dash, A and B, along with the MPG display.

There are two resettable trip meters in the dash, A and B, along with the MPG display.
It might be worth noting for newbies that A and B can be reset individually by pressing and holding the INFO button on the steering wheel, at least in my 2020. I can't imagine this was changed.

Personally, I reset trip A at each gas fill up and reset trip B for long trips with multiple fill ups or for shorter trips if I'm curious as to the miles I'll have travelled, as I've been doing for seemingly forever in multiple vehicles.

The steps in post #2 from @dunhillmc do not apply in my 2020. In fact, I don't think that function exists in my year and trim looking at the Settings and Applications options, though I'd have a hard time thinking of a use for it.

I'm curious. What is the practical application of knowing miles and MPG between starting the vehicle and shutting off?

TIA!
Something tells me you'll be asking quite a few questions as you go along so it would be helpful to add your trim to your profile so it displays with your posts.

It’s all in the manual, I prefer the digital version which is easier to search.

For live updates: Home>Information>Fuel Efficiency Monitor
Neither your link nor what's in post #2 applies to my 2020. Not sure what post #2 applies to but evidently not 2023 either from I can see. So, your linking to the 2023 manual for a 2023 vehicle question was a nice thing to do, and really the only reference without causing some animal issues--red herrings or wild goose chases. What year? and What trim? seem to be the most frequently broken record in this forum.

Further, for 2023, there are two different Mazda Connect systems described in the PDF manual, Type A and Type B. You displayed Type B. Is that because you know North America gets only B? If not, the OP may have to look at Type A for his vehicle. I'm not sure from the descriptions if either Type has what he's looking for--in the absence of any other info he'd have to test it. It is not all in the manual.

Anyway, I see from your link that the 2023 Mazda web site manual has a link to a PDF version in the left side bar. That does not exist for the 2020 manual, so it's a nice add, evidently for a reason. I had to scrounge up and download a 2020 PDF.

PDF searches can come in handy. For instance, If you wanted to know where the front camera is located and what it does, you might have a hard time picking "forward sensing camera" out of the the index. Instead, you could do a PDF search for "camera", get a couple hundred hits, but pretty quickly land on the first "forward sensing camera" reference, and take it from there, either go back to the index or change the PDF search term.

As for the OP question, for someone unfamiliar with the Mazda terminology, getting to an answer is bound to be roundabout. You'd have to know that "Mazda Connect" is the place to look with your method, or do multiple PDF searches until you come up with a term that works, in this case "fuel economy" got me to Type A and "fuel efficiency" got me to Type B, after lots of clicks, after trying "mpg" which offered a clue.

pre-2021 one can get similar to this screen when the engine is turned off. (different quality though as it comes from the previous infotainment) but same idea. Its enabled from the fuel efficiency app and anytime the car is stopped it will popup before the infotainment goes to sleep.
It shows only the fuel efficiency though.
F70CED0B-4A73-419F-A836-04C58C2791F0.jpeg

2021 and newer Mazda added more to that. One gets another screen with more useful details at engine off. It shows car avg mpg, avg mpg for the trip, the trip miles and the trip total time.

Pre-2020 with older infotainment firmware there was an option to get Mazda aio which has speedometer which gives a lot more info at any time.

2A004958-8CB4-4E7A-BB32-9CBCE15133FC.jpeg

pre-2021 one can get similar to this screen when the engine is turned off. (different quality though as it comes from the previous infotainment) but same idea. Its enabled from the fuel efficiency app and anytime the car is stopped it will popup before the infotainment goes to sleep.
It shows only the fuel efficiency though.
View attachment 314262

2021 and newer Mazda added more to that. One gets another screen with more useful details at engine off. It shows car avg mpg, avg mpg for the trip, the trip miles and the trip total time.

Pre-2020 with older infotainment firmware there was an option to get Mazda aio which has speedometer which gives a lot more info at any time.

View attachment 314264
I vaguely recall now having seen the 2020 screen and concluding "meh". The dash pod Trip A and B settings suffice. Now, to get to it, I had to use the "next screen" function from the cylinder deactivation display, not something you'd find in a turbo or pre-2018. It looks like it defaults to whichever screen was used last when exiting and returning. It was not immediately evident to me today how to get back to the CD screen. I'd figure it out eventually but monitoring CD while driving is long in my rearview mirror, so to speak. Now, I just drive the car.

One note. Somewhere along the line a "reset" function appeared on the fuel monitoring screen. Wondering what that would do despite everything reading zero I was surprised and not pleased that it reset the dash pod Trip A to zeros. So if you use Trip A, don't do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be worth noting for newbies that A and B can be reset individually by pressing and holding the INFO button on the steering wheel, at least in my 2020. I can't imagine this was changed.

Personally, I reset trip A at each gas fill up and reset trip B for long trips with multiple fill ups or for shorter trips if I'm curious as to the miles I'll have travelled, as I've been doing for seemingly forever in multiple vehicles.

The steps in post #2 from @dunhillmc do not apply in my 2020. In fact, I don't think that function exists in my year and trim looking at the Settings and Applications options, though I'd have a hard time thinking of a use for it.

I'm curious. What is the practical application of knowing miles and MPG between starting the vehicle and shutting off?

One of the available options on the infotainment system is to have the A trip meter and the MPG meter be linked. By pressing the stalk button/shaft in the dash it resets both. This is what I have set. After a fill up, I press the stalk button. Dunno if mine resets by pressing the INFO button, never tried it that way.

another trick for the digital speedometer,if one presses and holds the dimming knob for few seconds, the side views switch to all view mode that shows all parameters at once vs having to scroll through them.
i.e like avg mg, current mpg, miles to empty, compass, etc.

F07342B0-55CC-420B-9EA9-BAEF12CB06C7.jpeg

another trick for the digital speedometer,if one presses and holds the dimming knob for few seconds, the side views switch to all view mode that shows all parameters at once vs having to scroll through them.
i.e like avg mg, current mpg, miles to empty, compass, etc.

View attachment 314270
Not sure what year or trim you have because of your incomplete profile ;), but I tried this and it did not work in my 2020. I thought I'd try it to get the compass display, the only thing I find missing from the Trip A display in the right pod.

A couple of things about the 2020:

Three different instrument clusters are illustrated in the manual, Types A, B and C. Perhaps one of those has this as a hidden feature though I couldn't say which trims or even countries have one or the other. I say "hidden feature" because it is not described in the manual for any of the types.

For all types, all it says about pressing the illumination button is that doing so will deactivate auto dimming. After pressing the button while running the car in park in my garage, it still dims when flipping on the headlights, so that's a no go. Perhaps the cancellation only affects auto adjustments to changing light conditions. Dunno, don't care, so long as it does what it has always done. Hopefully, pressing the button again will reactivate dynamic adjustments if they are no longer working. The manual does not cover reactivation, lol.

In addition, for all types it says you can also cancel auto illumination by spinning the knob to the right until you hear a beep. That doesn't happen in my vehicle after spin, spin, spin, spin. Maybe you have tp spin at a certain speed, dunno, don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back