Oil patches on Engine cover - 2022 CX-5

Hello
Just to do some inspection, I opened the bonnet today and saw some oil patches on the engine cover. I checked the entire bay with a flash light and luckily see no oil dripping or leaks.

Total miles on car: 3500
First oil change done at 2500 miles after a 1000 mile long trip.

Any idea, what's going on here?

IMG-0544.jpg

Did you do the oil change yourself? If not, then the place that did it was very sloppy. Nothing to worry about but don't take it to the same service place again since its likely they just don't care enough to do it right and that's bad news if they screw something else so simple up.

Upvote 0
The service person just wanted to make that the O-ring was well lubricated. Why some of us get paranoid over nothing important. Now comes the justification blow-back. LOL

Upvote 0
Pull the cover off. Three or four? push-pins anchor it to the engine. Look at the oil cap. Remove it, and check to see if the sealing rubber is intact. Clean and replace the cover (or leave it off if you like a little more engine nose, a bit cooler engine, and an easier view of upcoming oil leaks, mouse nests, etc.

Upvote 0
Pull the cover off. Three or four? push-pins anchor it to the engine. Look at the oil cap. Remove it, and check to see if the sealing rubber is intact. Clean and replace the cover (or leave it off if you like a little more engine nose, a bit cooler engine, and an easier view of upcoming oil leaks, mouse nests, etc.

Good advice but personally I wouldn't leave the cover off. It helps keep the top of the motor clean. As for better cooling and more engine noise with the cover off? Negligible.

There are four of those push-pin anchors. While you have the cover off get some grease or some sort of lube (petroleum jelly (Vaseline) works well) and lube up the anchor points. This way the cover will come off easily the next time you remove it.

Upvote 0
Should of waited on the oil change. They drained all that Moly oil out and probably replaced it with some bulk oil brand. You could of easily went to 5,000.
Oil changed at the dealership. When I looked at the invoice, I see MZDS-YN-0W20-BK, which is the OW-20 oil they used. I just googled it to see that it is genuine OW-20 Mazda oil with Moly, but I have my doubts.

I hope I am not missing anything out, but I will be disappointed if the dealer is not using Moly oil.
If you an idea, can you please confirm whether this is indeed an oil with moly? Thanks in advance.

1668464274844.png

Upvote 0
Good advice but personally I wouldn't leave the cover off. It helps keep the top of the motor clean. As for better cooling and more engine noise with the cover off? Negligible.

There are four of those push-pin anchors. While you have the cover off get some grease or some sort of lube (petroleum jelly (Vaseline) works well) and lube up the anchor points. This way the cover will come off easily the next time you remove it.
You are pretty spot on with the second paragraph. I had to literally pull the cover with force to remove it. I lubricated the points for easy removal in the future.

Upvote 0
Oil changed at the dealership. When I looked at the invoice, I see MZDS-YN-0W20-BK, which is the OW-20 oil they used. I just googled it to see that it is genuine OW-20 Mazda oil with Moly, but I have my doubts.

I hope I am not missing anything out, but I will be disappointed if the dealer is not using Moly oil.
If you an idea, can you please confirm whether this is indeed an oil with moly? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 314171
The part number for Mazda OEM 0W-20 moly oil is 0000-G5-0W20-MQ.

Genuine Mazda Moly Oil 0w20 (1 quart)

Yeah, I wouldn’t change the factory moly oil (if you have a 2.5L NA) at 2,500 miles unless it’s over 12 months.

Upvote 0

View attachment 314171
The BK probably stands for Bulk. What they use for regular oil changes. You'll be OK with the regular oil and you got 3500 miles of the moly circulating through your engine. If you want you can always pay extra for the moly oil next change (if the dealer has it, check with them in advance).
Keep an eye on the filler area to make sure oil is not seeping up through the fill pipe.

Upvote 0

So at 1500 mi, the car was taken on a 1000 mi trip. Yeah, I probably would have changed the oil a bit early too.

Upvote 0
A 1000 mile road trip, probably the least stressful of all driving types, and it requires an early oil change? Hmmmm….

Upvote 0
A 1000 mile road trip, probably the least stressful of all driving types, and it requires an early oil change? Hmmmm….

I believe the owner's manual recommends not driving the car for a long time at the same RPMs (i.e. highway driving) when the car is new. Without knowing for sure how the car was driven during the trip, if it was my car, I would change the oil early. This is based on what's written in the owner's manual and my preference to do an early oil change on a brand new car.

Nobody ever said it requires an early oil change. It's just a preference.

Upvote 0
" It helps keep the top of the motor clean."
Any dust that's flowing in the engine compartment will surely be carried under the cover:
"The cover channels air over the top of the engine and wirings. KEEP IT ON."

The cover actually restricts airflow. This is obvious. It is a "vanity" panel to impress the average buyer. And, as I said, it reduces engine noise.

Upvote 0
" It helps keep the top of the motor clean."
Any dust that's flowing in the engine compartment will surely be carried under the cover:
"The cover channels air over the top of the engine and wirings. KEEP IT ON."

The cover actually restricts airflow. This is obvious. It is a "vanity" panel to impress the average buyer. And, as I said, it reduces engine noise.

I doubt that the 'average' driver even looks at the engine compartment.

I've never had an issue with my engine running too hot because of the cover being on.

YMMV

Upvote 0
I doubt that the 'average' driver even looks at the engine compartment.

I've never had an issue with my engine running too hot because of the cover being on.

YMMV
I though the engine top cover is mainly for cosmetic purpose only, and can keep the engine top clean for obvious reason. It won’t affect engine cooling as it relies on coolant to cool down the engine.

BTW, Toyota doesn’t use a engine top cover for its Dynamic Force 2.0L on my daughter’s Corolla Hatchback XSE and leave all the wirings and components exposed.

Upvote 0
Hello
Just to do some inspection, I opened the bonnet today and saw some oil patches on the engine cover. I checked the entire bay with a flash light and luckily see no oil dripping or leaks.

Any idea, what's going on here?

View attachment 314151
The spot next to the logo suggests it's just sloppy work. Evidently the chances of a gen 2 normally aspirated engine leaking or consuming oil is near zero.

Upvote 0
I believe the owner's manual recommends not driving the car for a long time at the same RPMs (i.e. highway driving) when the car is new.…

Unfortunately your belief isn‘t fact. The OP already had 1500 miles on the clock when he started the trip. But the recommendation from the owner’s manual below has nothing to do with oil changes. It rather has to do with ring seating since it is during the first few hundred miles that they wear in. Better ring wear is achieved with varied rpm. Apples and oranges at the wrong time. But there is nothing wrong with an early oil change other than spending more money to “feel good”.

”No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.”

Upvote 0
Back