CX-5 Brake pads - uneven wearing - change now?

Rear right brake. Inside pad. Little uneven wearing.
Left brake pads looks okay, approx., 4 mm.
Should I change it now?
Planning for a 2000Km trip in Christmas.
How to stop the uneven wearing?

IMG_2906.jpg
IMG_2907.jpg

What year and how many miles (or KM)?

If your CX-5 has EPB and the rear calipers have the date code stamped before 9/7/2016, you have defective calipers which will cause uneven wear on pads. Get revised rear calipers to fix the problem. Search TSB R052/16C in the forum.

Or your caliper pins need better lubrication with rubber-friendly brake grease. It’s a known problem where Mazda uses very minimum grease on these pins from factory.

If your CX-5 has EPB and the rear calipers have the date code stamped before 9/7/2016, you have defective calipers which will cause uneven wear on pads. Get revised rear calipers to fix the problem. Search TSB R052/16C in the forum.

Or your caliper pins need better lubrication with rubber-friendly brake grease. It’s a known problem where Mazda uses very minimum grease on these pins from factory.
Thanks for your response, My Mazda is from 2013. It don't have EPB, fortunately in my view.

I also feel there was less or no lubrication, when i openned it. Not only in this wheel, on other wheels as well. Should I consider to change the rubber as well?

IMG_2908.jpg

My 2016 CX-5 was purchased in April of 2015 and I just had the rear brake pads replaced on Thursday. There was no uneven wear on the rear pads. They were both sitting at 4mm.

@mazdaaus , looks like just dry slide pins so it wears the inside pad faster. You could lube the pins up and run it farther if you like. If the boots aren't cracked and still flexible you could use those longer as well.

OTOH, it is almost 10 years old so, if you have everything apart now you could just replace the pads now and be done with it ... Good for another 10-15 years (keeping the slide pins nice and lubed up in the future :) )

Use this on the Sliding pins, Raybestos DBL-2T https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Use this on the back and ears on the brake pads MOLY PASTE (M77)

Is where you can read about this stuff for hours. I did my research and this is overall the best it gets.

Clean and remove all rust on the pins and caliper brackets before aplying any of this stuff.

2013 Mazda CX-5
New Pads, these curently are the best for daily driving.
RAYBESTOS EHT1624H Element3 Rear
RAYBESTOS EHT1623H Element3 Front

Rock auto is going to be the cheapest.

Or
POWER STOP Z231624 Z23 Rear
POWER STOP Z231623 Z23 Front

Rotors
RAYBESTOS 981008FZN Element3 Fully Coated
Rear
RAYBESTOS 981011FZN Element3 Fully Coated
Front

Last edited: