Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
The engine is noticeably quieter at idle and during normal driving. I was expecting it to be quieter but am still impressed at the level of difference.

0w20.png

5w30.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your observation of switching to 5W-30 oil which is also the recommended viscosity for 2.5L NA by Mazda worldwide. I assume your 2019 CX-5 AWD has a 2.5L NA, but can you give us the current mileage info as your CX-5 may be still under powertrain warranty.

In addition to US owner’s manual, here are Mazda official engine oil viscosity charts for SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L and SkyActiv-D 2.2L used worldwide, and 5W-30 oil is listed as recommended oil by Mazda for 2.5L NA:

6D6BD214-1092-49F8-915B-E9B29C447CA2.jpeg

4FB8F36E-FFB5-426F-B3B3-450FC097E6F7.jpeg

Thanks for your observation of switching to 5W-30 oil which is also the recommended viscosity for 2.5L NA by Mazda worldwide. I assume your 2019 CX-5 AWD has a 2.5L NA, but can you give us the current mileage info as your CX-5 may be still under powertrain warranty.

In addition to US owner’s manual, here are Mazda official engine oil viscosity charts for SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L and SkyActiv-D 2.2L used worldwide, and 5W-30 oil is listed as recommended oil by Mazda for 2.5L NA:

View attachment 314111

View attachment 314112

hmm...my local Mazda dealership has always used the 0W-20. Is the only advantage to reduce the engine noise. Always thought this thing was noisier than what I was used to but have pretty much become used to it. 2016.5 GT.

I switched to 5w30 in mine a couple years ago and agree that the engine noise is better. I also observed (after fixing a leaking pan first) that I am not losing so much oil between changes where I had to top up.

To OP, what kind of 5W-30 oil you’re now using? And please take a note of your gas mileage and see if the gas mileage suffers with 5W-30 oil?

I switched to 5w30 in mine a couple years ago and agree that the engine noise is better. I also observed (after fixing a leaking pan first) that I am not losing so much oil between changes where I had to top up.
Less oil consumption with a thicker oil is kind of expected. So does the blow-by’s to the PCV system.

yeah, 0w20 (the mazda moly) is very good oil but it always drains like pure water (3000-4000 miles) when I do my oil changes. Too thin.
Same feeling here each time I drained my Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil. The 0W-20 oil even when it’s fresh feels like water, not to mention when it’s used.

I think I’ll switch to 5W-30 full synthetic oil after my stock of Mazda Moly exhausted. One for less engine noise especially when idle, another is I’d prefer to use newer SP oil for better protection on timing chain and other benefits.

I also have to say that after I drove my daughter’s 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE with Dynamic Force 2.0L which is widely criticized as too noisy, to my surprise I found that engine is quieter than my SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA even at idle. And Toyota uses even thinner 0W-16 oil for the engine.

Same feeling here each time I drained my Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil. The 0W-20 oil even when it’s fresh feels like water, not to mention when it’s used.

I think I’ll switch to 5W-30 full synthetic oil after my stock of Mazda Moly exhausted. One for less engine noise especially when idle, another is I’d prefer to use newer SP oil for better protection on timing chain and other benefits.
Yep, it was important to me to use oil that was now GF-6 rated.

To OP, what kind of 5W-30 oil you’re now using? And please take a note of your gas mileage and see if the gas mileage suffers with 5W-30 oil?

I have low mileage on my CX-5 (less than 20,000 miles). I've been getting around 24-27 mpg on average with the 0W20, but never really below 24. So fuel economy is a just a little better with 0W, but not enough to matter.

EDIT: Mileage, hand calculated on 5W-30 is close to the same as it was with 0W-20. Here are the readings I got over 8 calculations. More idling, city driving, and engine revving will result in lower figures.

I'm using Mobil1 extended performance and Purolator One filter.

1668114987995.png

1668115726976.png

1668114817304.png

Last edited:
I have low mileage on my CX-5 (less than 20,000 miles). I've been getting around 24 mpg on the 0W20. I'm using Mobil1 extended performance and Purolator One filter. Oil cost around $26.50 and filter around $9 when purchased a few months back.

View attachment 314118

View attachment 314117
I personally would like to use Castrol Edge SP/ GF-6 oil when I switch. But I’d keep using Mazda OEM oil filter as I don’t like those “one-size-fit-all” after-market oil filters; and my Mazda dealer sells the OEM 1WPE-14-302 Denso filer for $6.80 each with a free drain-plug aluminum washer.

I am still waiting the hear from my three letters: to my local dealer, Mazda corporate customer service, and Jeffrey Guyton, CEO Mazda NA Operations. I was concerned at my recent first oil change on my 2022 CX-5 turbo, as to why an obsolete spec SM, 5W30 conventional dino oil was placed in my turbo engine.

Last edited:
I am still waiting the hear from my three letters: to my local dealer, Mazda corporate customer service, and Jeffrey Guyton, CEO Mazda NA Operations. I was concerned at my recent first oil change on my 2022 CX-5 turbo, as to why an obsolete spec SM, 5W30 conventional dyno oil was placed in my turbo engine.

I would say because it meets the specs (even if it's inferior oil) and bulk conventional oil is cheaper than synthetic. Most shops will use the cheapest bulk oil unless you pay extra for synthetic or supply your own.

But, they could at least take the time to tell me to 'buzz off", or something along those lines. Doesn't anybody feel the obligation any longer to respond to gracefully written correspondence?
This’s a different era we need to get used to it. Even the car salesman who took the deposit from my daughter for any available Toyota Corolla non-hybrid model almost never responded our texts or phone calls during her 6-month waiting period. The same after she picked up a Corolla Hatchback XSE in late September.

Back