Catalytic Converter theft likely?

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
I have a 2015 CX-5. How easy is it to cut off the catalytic converter since I live in Los Angeles and park on the street?

Wondering if I need to install the theft shield.

I'd say its just as easy as any other crossover. If I parked on the street in an area where catalytic converter theft is on the rise, I would go to my local muffler shop and ask them if the could weld some steel rebar around the cat to deter thieves.

It's like any other "ant-theft" device. Whatever you install, some one somewhere has a way around it. If they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

CAT thieves want to get it within a couple minutes.
If not possible, they will move on... (maybe kick in your door panels while leaving :confused:)

Prime targets are Prius(es) - which has two CATs accessible.
Or, high ground clearance pickups and vans (no need to use jacks).

It's like any other "ant-theft" device. Whatever you install, some one somewhere has a way around it. If they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

While this is true, most of the time, all you need is a deterrent to make your car appear to be a less appealing target. If a thief sees a cage around your cat, they will likely move on to the next car that may not have a cage. Similarly, someone intending to break into your car may see the blinking LED that is common with many factory and aftermarket alarm systems, and will instead move on to a car without a visible LED.

Even if the cage is made out of aluminum, or the LED is not connected to an alarm, the appearance of a deterrent is often enough to make the casual thief change their mind.

Back