Mazda Tracking Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one of the ~330,000 people who buys a Mazda each year in the U.S. should sue the company for an accident/incident, frivolous or otherwise, the company will want to have as much data as possible to defend its position. It doesn't care about your daily commute, it wants the data for legal protection.
Almost all cars today have black boxes that record data before, during and after an accident. The absence of telematics, or opting out, isn't going to make an difference.

Almost all cars today have black boxes that record data before, during and after an accident. The absence of telematics, or opting out, isn't going to make an difference.

That is a valid point. Still, it is a data collection device with little benefit to the end user.

So what value does Mazda get out of this data? Why would they collect this data?

“Default Data” includes the following:
  • “Location Data”: geo-location coordinates of your Connected Vehicle’s latitude and longitude each time you turn off your Connected Vehicle (“Ignition-Off”);

• “Driving Data”: driving behavior data, which includes the acceleration and speed at which your Connected Vehicle is driven, travel direction, and use of the steering and braking functions in your Connected Vehicle (Driving Data is collected for each driving trip and transmitted at each Ignition Off); and

• “Vehicle Health Data”: includes Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); odometer, fuel level, and oil life readings; Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs); and data from the Connected Vehicle’s OBD system (“OBD Data”). OBD Data includes, but is not limited to, engine coolant temperature, fuel injection volume, engine Rotation Per Minute (RPM), and the status of doors, hood, trunk, and hazard lights (Vehicle Health Data is transmitted at each Ignition-Off).

Mazda can track me all it wants. I'm not doing anything illegal (other than rolling through a few stop signs and exceeding the speed limit most of the time) and I don't have anything to hide, mostly.

If I was as paranoid as some here seem to be the first thing that I would get rid of would be my cell phone.

Track away.
I've never been a fan of "I'm not doing anything wrong so what does it matter" way of justifying this stuff.

You're not wrong about the cell phone though. Ultimate tracking device with multiple vectors of said tracking right there.

Mazda can track me all it wants. I'm not doing anything illegal

IMO, tracking isn't the issue. I don't totally disagree. However, being upfront about it should be important and companies that aren't should be criticized over it all day. Also, opting out should be easy.
*Note I am not saying Mazda isn't being upfront about it as I have no idea.

Soon, every new car will be delivered with a factory-designated employee in the back seat, equipped with a notepad and camera.
So take care out there. :ROFLMAO::LOL::sneaky:

Mazda can track me all it wants. I'm not doing anything illegal (other than rolling through a few stop signs and exceeding the speed limit most of the time) and I don't have anything to hide, mostly.

If I was as paranoid as some here seem to be the first thing that I would get rid of would be my cell phone.

Track away.
Yep. Then when you go in for warranty work, they blackmail you and say ya know our data shows you exceeded the speed limit so we won't be fixing your car. But you won't leave it go so you complain then they unleash the data to LE and twitter. Next thing ya know Conrad is fired and under arrest...

Yep. Then when you go in for warranty work, they blackmail you and say ya know our data shows you exceeded the speed limit so we won't be fixing your car. But you won't leave it go so you complain then they unleash the data to LE and twitter. Next thing ya know Conrad is fired and under arrest...

Well, that escalated quickly, lol. I personally don't think we'll ever get to that point. At least, not in my lifetime.

Well, that escalated quickly, lol. I personally don't think we'll ever get to that point. At least, not in my lifetime.
Lmao. I hope not but sometimes things move quicker than we realize. Especially with technology...One example.
Star trek with flip phones 1966.
1st cellphone 1973.
1st satellite phone 1989.
1st flip phone 1996

Since when is speeding grounds to cancel your warranty? I do my own work anyways and all of my vehicles are out of warranty. So...

Conrad can't be fired because Conrad is retired and has been since 1/2014. :)

Soon, every new car will be delivered with a factory-designated employee in the back seat, equipped with a notepad and camera.
So take care out there. :ROFLMAO::LOL::sneaky:

Another job for The Trunk Monkey?

I've never been a fan of "I'm not doing anything wrong so what does it matter" way of justifying this stuff.

You're not wrong about the cell phone though. Ultimate tracking device with multiple vectors of said tracking right there.

I wasn't justifying anything, was I?

Since when is speeding grounds to cancel your warranty? I do my own work anyways and all of my vehicles are out of warranty. So...

Nice. Retired that is. And before the Snowflakes took over.

But for the other working stiffs...

and I'm sure that a manufacturer would try to use any means necessary to negate the warranty like Toyota did on the GR86. That was just a start of testing the waters.

Companies will continually move to limit customer rights and protections...

Their probably reading this feed right now ..🤫

Last edited:

and I'm sure that a manufacturer would try to use any means necessary to negate the warranty like Toyota did on the GR86. That was just a start of testing the waters.

Yes I'd had two Toyota's good cars but every time I went to the stealership I felt like they were digging deeper in my wallet than they needed to. Thats why I now have a Mazda in my drive way. It remains to be seen if I'll have the same problem with Mazda. But Toyota lost a good customer for ever.

De-googing your phone doesn't do much lol. If your phone connects to a wireless network then it is tracked and your carrier has every bit of info. And that means Google probably has it too lol. Google also skims your data from the internet so even being on a forum like this they can see it and track it. We are tracked in so much that we do whether its walking into a store or driving down the street. Car makers are no different. This is nothing really new.

Yes, and two years before a traitor took over the reins of our country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back