Mazda Tracking Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the article goes on to say:

"Mazda activates this data collection through the TCU by default and only the carmaker can deactivate it. The brand is very clear about offering you the opportunity to not have so much information sent to them. The company says that should you wish to have your vehicle’s data collection capabilities limited, then all you have to do is call Mazda or contact them in writing with such a request."

I don't like it but, I'm not going to get paranode about it. Just call or write Mazda as mentioned above

Is there a way to tell if it is currently on ? As well as know if the dealership actually turns it off?

This is VERY not cool. If my '16.5 has this it will be sold. I

Did you get Remote Start? Did you sign up for any "Connected Services" (which I don't think was offered on our cars back then)?
No?
So you and I are good. This is for newer cars only.

And I have no doubt during the car buying process, you do sign something about this and can opt out then. And I am sure most car people selling you cars aren't even aware of it.
Don't get me wrong, not defending this, this is next level sketchiness, and their reply "Oh, just call us or send us....a letter?" A letter? Seriously? Pretty disappointing Mazda.

I posted about the Mazda spyware a while back. The TCU module is only on '21+ CX-5. (Full list: 2021+ Mazda CX-5, Mazda CX-9; 2020+ Mazda CX-30; 2019+ Mazda3). As stated above, it is easy to deactivate, and therefore not a big deal, but most don't know about this "feature". Besides spying on you, the TCU doesn't do anything you need other than live traffic reports. In an EV, you would want a TCU to see live charging station data, but in an ICE vehicle it isn't necessary.

Mazda Spyware Terms:

“Default Data” includes the following:

• “Location Data”: geo-location coordinates of your Connected Vehicle’s latitude and longitude each time you turn off your Connected Vehicle (“Ignition-Off”);

• “Driving Data”: driving behavior data, which includes the acceleration and speed at which your Connected Vehicle is driven, travel direction, and use of the steering and braking functions in your Connected Vehicle (Driving Data is collected for each driving trip and transmitted at each Ignition Off); and

• “Vehicle Health Data”: includes Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); odometer, fuel level, and oil life readings; Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs); and data from the Connected Vehicle’s OBD system (“OBD Data”). OBD Data includes, but is not limited to, engine coolant temperature, fuel injection volume, engine Rotation Per Minute (RPM), and the status of doors, hood, trunk, and hazard lights (Vehicle Health Data is transmitted at each Ignition-Off).

Mazda is not the only company that does this. Tesla was one of the first to introduce telematics in all vehicles, and before that, GM with OnStar in certain vehicles, and many have followed suit. The primary purpose of all this information is for legal protection for the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I posted about the Mazda spyware a while back. The TCU module is only on '20+ models. As stated above, it is easy to deactivate, but most don't know about this "feature". Besides spying on you, the TCU doesn't do anything you need other than live traffic reports. In an EV, you would want a TCU to see live charging station data, but in an ICE vehicle it isn't necessary.

Mazda Spyware Terms:

Mazda is not the only company that does this. Tesla was one of the first to introduce telematics in all vehicles, and before that, GM with OnStar in certain vehicles, and many have followed suit. The primary purpose of all this information is for legal protection for the manufacturer.
Legal protection from what?

If one of the ~330,000 people who buys a Mazda each year in the U.S. should sue the company for an accident/incident, frivolous or otherwise, the company will want to have as much data as possible to defend its position. It doesn't care about your daily commute, it wants the data for legal protection.

If one of the ~330,000 people who buys a Mazda each year in the U.S. should sue the company for an accident/incident, frivolous or otherwise, the company will want to have as much data as possible to defend its position. It doesn't care about your daily commute, it wants the data for legal protection.
I'm sure police or insurance companies could somehow pry that info from the mfgr. if they thought they could use it.

Gee are we getting Paranoid=yes. You think Mazda is the only manufacture doing this-NO. How about your new refrigerator with its microprocessor or a new stove that the manufacturer wants to know how many times a month you use it and for how long and time? We can't escape this intrusion unless you live outside the ? can't think of the name. Ed

Gee are we getting Paranoid=yes. You think Mazda is the only manufacture doing this-NO. How about your new refrigerator with its microprocessor or a new stove that the manufacturer wants to know how many times a month you use it and for how long and time? We can't escape this intrusion unless you live outside the ? can't think of the name. Ed
Live in the middle of no where with no electricity or appliances made in the last 20+ years.

!
Outside the GRID!!!

Yeah but data can be manipulated and/or deleted.

If it's an accident or defect due to car malfunction, i forsee that data being deleted or modified to make it look like driver error.

Of course if the data truly proves driver fault, they will use and share that.

Not to mention what the data doesn't see. The data could be used against the driver but not be the whole story.

Yeah but data can be manipulated and/or deleted.

If it's an accident or defect due to car malfunction, i forsee that data being deleted or modified to make it look like driver error.

Of course if the data truly proves driver fault, they will use and share that.

Not to mention what the data doesn't see. The data could be used against the driver but not be the whole story.
One thing that always bothers me is ok, you are telling me as a company what you use the data for now, but based on whatever that data is what could it be used for.

The TCU captures (2021 and newer and sends certain base data by default. On every shutdown of the engine and that is even without usung the connected services.
Once subscribed for connected services, even more details are captured and sent over.

Mazda can track me all it wants. I'm not doing anything illegal (other than rolling through a few stop signs and exceeding the speed limit most of the time) and I don't have anything to hide, mostly.

If I was as paranoid as some here seem to be the first thing that I would get rid of would be my cell phone.

Track away.

I can understand wanting your privacy. We all have varying levels of tolerance when it comes to this stuff. In any case, it's good to know that if I do want to opt out, I can just call or email Mazda to do so.

Mazda can track me all it wants. I'm not doing anything illegal (other than rolling through a few stop signs and exceeding the speed limit most of the time) and I don't have anything to hide, mostly.

If I was as paranoid as some here seem to be the first thing that I would get rid of would be my cell phone.

Track away.
That's how it starts. Track a little here, a little there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back