Purchasing a 2020 CX-5 GT with Premier Package, CPO worth it?

Test drove the vehicle last night, drove very well. Car is a lease return with 21k miles on it.

The dealer offered to certify the vehicle to extend the bumper to bumper warranty for another 12mos/12000 miles after the factory warranty expires and extend the powertrain to 7/100k miles. The cost of this certification is $1500.

With the random engine head crack/oil leak threads I'm considering the purchase of the CPO warranty.

Any thoughts? Experience with the CPO warranty?

Why wouldn't they have CPO'd it already? Is it advertised as a CPO vehicle already (does it have Mazda CPO stickers and labeling on it)?

They said they don’t precertify unless the customer wants it. They said they are a high volume dealer and a lot of customers would rather have a low price than have $1500 baked into the price.

Ok, we ended up purchasing last night. We got a 2020 CX5 GT with the Premium Package (heated steering wheel, heads up display, rear heated seats, ventilated front seats) for $28,300.

We paid $1495 to make it a CPO and add the additional year of bumper to bumper warranty after the factory warranty expires as well as extended the powertrain to 7/100k miles. I verified that its a Mazda CPO and we went through the 160 point inspection checklist.

The car itself is very nice and much nicer than my moms 2016 Rav4.

Looks like the price they are offering it for is a lot fairer than available locally here. I bought a 2022 CX-5 sport in February for $27400 plus tax and license. No extended warranty or extraneous BS. I don't need all the bells and whistles your model has. So far everything has been just great. I have just over 4000 miles on it so far. It was quite a saving over the base model RAV4. So far knock on wood no issues.

Looks like the price they are offering it for is a lot fairer than available locally here. I bought a 2022 CX-5 sport in February for $27400 plus tax and license. No extended warranty or extraneous BS. I don't need all the bells and whistles your model has. So far everything has been just great. I have just over 4000 miles on it so far. It was quite a saving over the base model RAV4. So far knock on wood no issues.
Yes, I shopped around quite a bit and found this one had been on the lot for 51 days and reduced from 30,500 to 28,300. Area dealers were all about the same price for 2019 models and still didnt have all the extra features.

Really impressed with the safety features and solid ride so far.

Yes, I shopped around quite a bit and found this one had been on the lot for 51 days and reduced from 30,500 to 28,300. Area dealers were all about the same price for 2019 models and still didnt have all the extra features.

Really impressed with the safety features and solid ride so far.
But were the other dealers prices for cpo vehicles ?

Our market has cooled here on east coast and plenty of inventory compared to when I purchased my cpo last year. And prices have started to drop.

They do have an added cost to CPO a vehicle( mechanic pay and extended warranty purchase price from corporate) . However, you probably could have gotten them to cpo the vehicle for less or negotiated the cx5 for less and then paid for the extra cpo.

Regardless, enjoy the new ride.

Last edited:
Back