Wrong Oil Filter (2015 CX-5)

TAC61

:
Mazda, CX-5, Grand Touring 2015
I screwed up. Just changed my oil in a 2015 CX5 and put on the same filter as last time. I used a Genuine Mazda B6Y1-14-302A Oil which I believed was the correct filter and I just discovered it isn't and I should be using the 1WPE-14-302 filter instead. It fit fine and was the same as all the other filters I ever installed but wondering if I should take it off and put on the correct one. I couldn't find the difference but if I look up cross references to other brands they both point to the same filters for both the correct and incorrect Mazda filters. It appears the B6Y1-14-302A is for older Mazda models. Should I dump the fresh oil and install the correct filter or just leave it until the next change?

I wonder if it would be ok to reuse the drained oil? I've never done it and I've never done any research to see if this is a viable option, but if it is, that's what I would do. Drain the oil into a clean container, remove the filter, replace with the new one, then add the freshly drained oil and top up if needed.

Hopefully someone with more insight can chime in.

I don’t see why you couldn’t reuse the new drained oil provided it was drained into a clean container. As noted above I would replace the filter with the correct one.

I don't think you'd have to drain the oil to change the filter. Just spin the filter off and install new. No more oil will come out of the filter line than usual (imho)

^^^ good idea. The top of the filter sits above the top of the oil pan. As noted above switch out the old filter, install correct filler, check dip stick and top up oil.

last time the dealership drained and reused the oil (for chain cover replacement) my oil control valve stopped working shortly after (clogged) :) even though supposedly clean container was used.
What was suggested above is best. Dont touch the oil in the pan.

I screwed up. Just changed my oil in a 2015 CX5 and put on the same filter as last time. I used a Genuine Mazda B6Y1-14-302A Oil which I believed was the correct filter and I just discovered it isn't and I should be using the 1WPE-14-302 filter instead. It fit fine and was the same as all the other filters I ever installed but wondering if I should take it off and put on the correct one. I couldn't find the difference but if I look up cross references to other brands they both point to the same filters for both the correct and incorrect Mazda filters. It appears the B6Y1-14-302A is for older Mazda models. Should I dump the fresh oil and install the correct filter or just leave it until the next change?
Here’s a document from Mazda North American Opetations:

7839B84C-3719-451B-97C6-EAA75B8A3AEF.jpeg

Mazda Oil Filters. M1 and Wix? #3

Mazda Oil Filters. M1 and Wix? #5

Like Madar said above, since you just did the oil change you can simply remove the B6Y1-14-302A oil filter and install the correct OEM 1WPE-14-302 (Denso made in Thailand which superseded the Tokyo Roki made in Japan PE01-14-302A/B) and you won’t lose much oil during the change. Just keep the old filter straight up and you can dump the old oil in the filter into the new filter before the installation if you want to save about 0.3 quart of the fresh oil. Keep in mind you may still need another 0.2 ~ 0.5 quart of fresh oil even if you did that because there’s oil situated in the filter element which won’t come out.

Honestly, I may just feel lazy not to do anything about it if I were you, as this’s no different from a lot of people who use “one-size-fits-all” aftermarket oil filter on the SkyActiv engines. Just plan to change the oil as early as you can next time with a correct OEM oil filter. But this’s definitely an ill advice if you want to keep the CX-5 as long as you can.

Last edited:
I agree with the others who are suggesting to just change the filter. At most you'll lose half a quart.

I went to the dealer and got the Thailand filter, was only $8 and hardly any oil was lost just changing the filter. Thanks for all the info.

I went to the dealer and got the Thailand filter, was only $8 and hardly any oil was lost just changing the filter. Thanks for all the info.
Yeah the OEM oil filter (not the OEM Mazda “Value” oil filter) usually isn’t much more expensive than aftermarket ones, most of time the dealer gives you a free drain plug aluminum gasket too.

Even if you reused the oil in the old oil filter, you should need some oil (0.1 ~ 0.2 quarts?) to top off. The oil filter itself has the capacity of 0.3 ~ 0.5 quart of oil. Just make sure to check your oil level again the next morning.

Yeah the OEM oil filter (not the OEM Mazda “Value” oil filter) usually isn’t much more expensive than aftermarket ones, most of time the dealer gives you a free drain plug aluminum gasket too.

Even if you reused the oil in the old oil filter, you should need some oil (0.1 ~ 0.2 quarts?) to top off. The oil filter itself has the capacity of 0.3 ~ 0.5 quart of oil. Just make sure to check your oil level again the next morning.
Added a small amount, this is all that came out.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 80
Here’s a document from Mazda North American Opetations:

View attachment 313751

Mazda Oil Filters. M1 and Wix? #3

Mazda Oil Filters. M1 and Wix? #5

Like Madar said above, since you just did the oil change you can simply remove the B6Y1-14-302A oil filter and install the correct OEM 1WPE-14-302 (Denso made in Thailand which superseded the Tokyo Roki made in Japan PE01-14-302A/B) and you won’t lose much oil during the change. Just keep the old filter straight up and you can dump the old oil in the filter into the new filter before the installation if you want to save about 0.3 quart of the fresh oil. Keep in mind you may still need another 0.2 ~ 0.5 quart of fresh oil even if you did that because there’s oil situated in the filter element which won’t come out.

Honestly, I may just feel lazy not to do anything about it if I were you, as this’s no different from a lot of people who use “one-size-fits-all” aftermarket oil filter on the SkyActiv engines. Just plan to change the oil as early as you can next time with a correct OEM oil filter. But this’s definitely an ill advice if you want to keep the CX-5 as long as you can.

Back