2007~2015 Frequent AC Condensation FLOODING my CX-9 floorboard. Any REAL solutions?!

Only thing I can think of is an inline flood switch, but I'm not sure such a switch even exists. One small enough, at least. Nor am I sure if there's even a proper place that's accessible to install such a switch.

Even vacuuming out the line every 4 to 6 months might not really solve the problem. But it does seem to flood almost yearly.

ANY solutions to this problem would make my wife very happy, and, by extension, it would make me very happy to hear her talk about buying another vehicle when there's absolutely nothing else wrong with this CX-9. LOVE IT, besides this one major flaw!!

Only thing I can think of is an inline flood switch, but I'm not sure such a switch even exists. One small enough, at least. Nor am I sure if there's even a proper place that's accessible to install such a switch.

Even vacuuming out the line every 4 to 6 months might not really solve the problem. But it does seem to flood almost yearly.

ANY solutions to this problem would make my wife very happy, and, by extension, it would make me very happy to hear her talk about buying another vehicle when there's absolutely nothing else wrong with this CX-9. LOVE IT, besides this one major flaw!!
Aside from cleaning out the line and good thorough cleaning making sure there no gunk in it, put it up on lift and make sure the lines are not kinked.

How do I make sure there is no gunk?

I suppose vacuuming alone might not very be doing as well a job as another tool.... I just don't know what other tool that is, tho.

I suppose vacuuming alone might not very be doing as well a job as another tool.... I just don't know what other tool that is, tho.
Blow it out with air compressor or bike pump. Or connect some long pipe cleaners together and run them up in and pull back out like a plumbing snake. Blowing out the line does no good if the hose is kinked. As hoses get older, they may kink. Raise it up on Jack stands, get it up on a lift or take to mechanic and make sure lines aren't kinked.

The younger generation need to learn all the old school fixes and start thinking like MacGyvers.

All this knowledge will be lost.

I had a clog that came back several times. The last time, I used compressed air to blow out the drain to get it going, then I switched to a shop vac to really pull the water through the drain. The clog has not returned in several years.

I tried disassembling the center console to investigate this and there's not much that can be done. The root cause is that the drain hole that allows water out of the HVAC plenum is very small, and it is connected to the fitting on the bottom of the car via a long skinny hose with a few twists and turns. Anything bigger than a pea will plug up the line.

I only ran into a plugged line once in my wife 09 cx9.
Is was for the rear A/C and you could hear water sloshing around.

I did the compressed air option with an empty pump sprayer (like one used for lawn weed killer), pumped it up a bunch, put the nozzle at the end of the drain and blasted it. I bet a gallon of water came out. Never came back. I will say it took me a couple times to get a good blast of air through it.

Back