2022 CX-5 Adaptive AT?

... When somebody says 1000% it strikes me they have something to prove...
Nope. Just means my thumbs are fat and pounded the zero too many times on mah sail-fawn keyboard standing out in the sun. But I fixed it for you so you can rest easy now.

My point was to indicate that I I have no idea if the data you are posting is or isn't accurate as I don't know anything about the subject. Just a regular guy observing the back n forth discussion and learning some about a subject I know nothing about. I like learning.

Does the transmission know which driver is driving based on the id of the keyfob?

We recently purchased a 22 CX-5 CPO with 8.5K, and we have put approx. 1K since. This is an interesting thread.
Not knowing how it was driven before we purchased it, I'm wondering if it would be worth getting a deep reset performed if the learning process can determine.

Can it only be performed by dealer, or is there a way an end user can perform the reset as discussed in this video ?

Mazda Skyactiv AT initial learning mode

We recently purchased a 22 CX-5 CPO with 8.5K, and we have put approx. 1K since. This is an interesting thread.
Not knowing how it was driven before we purchased it, I'm wondering if it would be worth getting a deep reset performed if the learning process can determine.

Can it only be performed by dealer, or is there a way an end user can perform the reset as discussed in this video ?

Mazda Skyactiv AT initial learning mode
If the dealership tech did his job right, the PCM and TCM should have been flashed to the latest versions during the CPO inspection

I could post things like that but then I'd be breaking NDAs and is one of the reasons most industry insiders don't post. Its hard to prove what you can't legally talk about it. The ZF AI in particular assigns aggression markers to who is driving because of things it remembers. I know you won't believe me and that's fine. I'll continue on my day. Regardless there is a huge consistency to how people drive and a lot of interesting science behind it. Ill post when I can with what I can. My inbox is always open if people want to ask questions.
I have to admit, your posts have renewed my appreciation for this vehicle. What are your thoughts on transmission fluid changes for this trans, do you have any change interval recommendations?

I have to admit, your posts have renewed my appreciation for this vehicle. What are your thoughts on transmission fluid changes for this trans, do you have any change interval recommendations?
I live in a severe climate for heat. So personally I will be changing fluid and filter every 30k miles. That's overkill for most places where a 40-50k mile is sufficient. Most people never change fluid so any sort of maintenance is beneficial.

I live in a severe climate for heat. So personally I will be changing fluid and filter every 30k miles. That's overkill for most places where a 40-50k mile is sufficient. Most people never change fluid so any sort of maintenance is beneficial.
Do you have an opinion on the fluid Mazda uses in terms of quality or durability, how it compares to fluid used in other makes?

Do you have an opinion on the fluid Mazda uses in terms of quality or durability, how it compares to fluid used in other makes?
The Mazda FZ fluid is a fantastic synthetic fluid that is made by Idemitsu in NA and TOTAL in Europe. The most similar fluid that any other OEM uses would be Toyota WS. Fluid is an incredibly important part of any transmission. I tend to stay away from recommending or using any multi use fluid in any transmission that requires a low viscosity formula. The friction modifiers added to a fluid are specifically designed for the clutches used inside the specific unit and are part of the coefficient of friction calculations for torque holding capacity and shudder during apply/release. Based on information I have seen the only three fluids I would recommend for the Skyactivs would be the OEM FZ, Aisin FZ or Ravenol FZ. Over time the multi use "catch all" fluids will change the friction characteristics inside the various clutch sets.

The Mazda FZ fluid is a fantastic synthetic fluid that is made by Idemitsu in NA and TOTAL in Europe. The most similar fluid that any other OEM uses would be Toyota WS. Fluid is an incredibly important part of any transmission. I tend to stay away from recommending or using any multi use fluid in any transmission that requires a low viscosity formula. The friction modifiers added to a fluid are specifically designed for the clutches used inside the specific unit and are part of the coefficient of friction calculations for torque holding capacity and shudder during apply/release. Based on information I have seen the only three fluids I would recommend for the Skyactivs would be the OEM FZ, Aisin FZ or Ravenol FZ. Over time the multi use "catch all" fluids will change the friction characteristics inside the various clutch sets.
Thanks for the input. I'm a big fan of Ravenol and was considering that.

What is your opinion on why Mazda doesn’t list the ATF change in its maintenance schedule, and claims the factory ATF is a “lifetime” fluid?

And what is your opinion on a vehicle with 100,000+ miles and has never changed the ATF, is it still better to change it for the first time?

I really appreciate your valuable information on transmissions.

If the dealership tech did his job right, the PCM and TCM should have been flashed to the latest versions during the CPO inspection
I don't think it was done because with ASH8s help I upgraded the CMU & TCM

CMU upgraded from 11038 to 11048
TCU upgraded from 10020 to 10024

Don't know about PCM, but would upgrading the above two do a deep reset on the transmission ?

What is your opinion on why Mazda doesn’t list the ATF change in its maintenance schedule, and claims the factory ATF is a “lifetime” fluid?

And what is your opinion on a vehicle with 100,000+ miles and has never changed the ATF, is it still better to change it for the first time?

I really appreciate your valuable information on transmissions.
The industry as a whole likes the term "lifetime" fluid in NA that simply means the life of the warranty from a legal stance. Its a safer bet for OEMs to simply say don't touch the fluid rather than put the wrong fluid in the transmission. Transmission fluid gets worked very hard and like all hydraulic fluid breaks down over time both on additive package and viscosity. All transmissions also have a vent to the atmosphere to relieve pressure as the fluid level rises and falls due to the fluid temp. This can allow moisture in the air to enter the transmission. Transmission fluid is not hygroscopic but it is another point of contamination.

To your other question about changing fluid over 100k miles is a case by case basis. When a vehicle arrives with that scenario we inspect fluid condition and do a thorough preliminary diagnosis on shift quality(make sure there are no flares, line pressure is good, etc). If the fluid is just old we'll recommend to change it. If it has signs of burning or contamination we won't change it. That scenario is what brings up the old saying of not changing the fluid if it has never been done before X amount of miles. When fluid is burning there is wear happening inside the trans but is not yet felt by the driver due to the fluid keeping the coefficient of friction within serviceable levels. There have been many many times that someone has changed fluid and then the transmission "doesn't work right". This is due to the older fluid masking a concern that the transmission already had developing.

Sorry, when I searched this was the only thread I found.
Nothing to apologize to me for. I just thought you might want to read that thread as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back