First oil change - Skyactiv NA engine

Hi guys,
It's time for the first oil change in my CX-5 2022 N/A.
As always I am going to do it myself, but this is my first Mazda and I am not sure what engine oil should I use...
How good or bad is this one? Do dealers normally change this oil, or they offer something else?
Has someone tried this particular oil and could recommend it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 164
Hi guys,
It's time for the first oil change in my CX-5 2022 N/A.
As always I am going to do it myself, but this is my first Mazda and I am not sure what engine oil should I use...
How good or bad is this one? Do dealers normally change this oil, or they offer something else?
Has someone tried this particular oil and could recommend it?

Thanks in advance!

You have it exactly right. This is what I use (and what Mazda recommends), I purchased a case and two filters just last week. Fortunately for me, both my CX and MX use the same oil and filters.

I was tempted to use the Mazda Full Synthetic motor oil when my first oil change came due on my 2021 CX-5 Turbo but two things stopped me from doing that. First off, I couldn't find it in the 5W-30 weight that Mazda recommends for the 2.5T and secondly the 0W-20 that is available was over double the price of the $25 for 5-quarts that I pay for Mobil-1.

I don't doubt that the Mazda oil is good oil, but are you really paying something like $125 for 12 quarts?

The Mazda oem w/moly oil 0w20 is one of the best there for the non-turbo CX5s is but it is pricey. If you plan to keep the car for long it may be good option.
Otherwise any decent full syn 0w20 would work.

Dealers dont use this oil for their oil changes. They mostly use bulk oil whatever they get.
My cx5 2018 has been on this oil since new. Never had any issues but I change it every 6mo.
If you are ok with the price, go for it. Its great.

Its a shame such oil does not exist oem for the 5w30 which is for the turbo cx5

Last edited:
I'm in the put whatever you want in it that meets the specs ("SM", GF-6, whatever) and change it at reasonable interval camp. Doesn't matter, if it's $20/qt purple magic unicorn tear infused gold juice or Wal-Mart / costco etc brand as long as it meets spec.

Oh, YMMV 😁 (and I'm okay if you think differently too )

I'm in the put whatever you want in it that meets the specs ("SM", GF-6, whatever) and change it at reasonable interval camp. Doesn't matter, if it's $20/qt purple magic unicorn tear infused gold juice or Wal-Mart / costco etc brand as long as it meets spec.

100% agree.

100% agree.
I don't get too exotic and pricey with boutique oils but have been using 5w-30 . It's definitely smoother and quieter. The dealer did the oil changes until the powertrain warranty expired, but I can do it for half price (or less) and put in what I want. So far have used Idemitsu, Quaker State FS and now Pennzoil FS (basic black label) which is the smoothest of all so far. The QS is on the thick side for a 5w-30. Been using the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters and see no reason to change for the time being. The engine is spec'd to use 5w-30 and see no reason to go back to 0w-20 unless I move to the Arctic Circle.
As for the commonly mentioned "tight clearances", go look up the bearing clearances sometime. They're not extremely tight. From the Mazda Skyactiv 2.5L engine workshop manual:
standard connecting rod bearing clearance---- 0.0011 -- 0.0020 in. max --0.0039 in.
standard main bearing clearance ----- 0.0007 -- 0.0015 in. max -- 0.0033 in.

file:///C:/Users/ME/Downloads/2.5skyactiv%20Engine%20workshop%20manual.pdf

See page 01-50-2

Attachments

• 2.5skyactiv Engine workshop manual.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Yep! I went from Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, to Castrol Edge, now on Costco Kirkland Signature oil. The Costco oil is nearly half the price of the other stuff when the other stuff isn't on sale.

I was tempted to use the Mazda Full Synthetic motor oil when my first oil change came due on my 2021 CX-5 Turbo but two things stopped me from doing that. First off, I couldn't find it in the 5W-30 weight that Mazda recommends for the 2.5T and secondly the 0W-20 that is available was over double the price of the $25 for 5-quarts that I pay for Mobil-1.

I don't doubt that the Mazda oil is good oil, but are you really paying something like $125 for 12 quarts?

I'm paying $8 per quart for Mazda OEM 0W-20. That's exactly $15 per oil change more than you're paying for Mobil 1. With the number of miles that I put on my CX in a year I only change the oil in this car once a year. I'm more than ok with that additional cost.

Thank you guys for your answers!
Currently, I am choosing between Mazda OEM and Mobil 1.
I agree with Conard 16.5 that the cost is almost the same.
The Mobil 1 at Costco is around 45 bucks plus the filter. The OEM kit is around $65, so the difference is minor.
Two days ago I was confident about using Mobil 1 as all my previous cars were happy with this brand, but then I found out about Mazda's OEM oil, and now my confidence is not that strong anymore...

Last edited:
My belief is the molly gives slightly better mileage due to reduced friction and slightly less wear for the same reason...

The Mazda bottles in the OP show GF-5 standard as do ones for sale on a couple of web sites I spot checked. Kinda interesting it has not been upgraded to GF-6 which was approved for sale back in May 2020. It probably doesn't make much difference since GF-6 as well as the interim API SN Plus, where chiefly targeting turbo protection and performance in response to the proliferation of small block turbos.

What's more interesting is the GF-5 / SN specs for Mazda 5W30, like this:

Mazda Genuine Full Synthetic Engine Oil POWER PRO SN 5W-30 - 4Ltrs - Loyal Parts , with the same specs in other for sale listings.

Besides GF-6 being on the market for over two years, GF-5 predates SN Plus introduced in 2018 which purported to provide better anti-knock properties for turbo engines.

If I had a turbo I'd be looking for a current spec alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mazda bottles in the OP show GF-5 standard as do ones for sale on a couple of web sites I spot checked. Kinda interesting it has not been upgraded to GF-6 which was approved for sale back in May 2020. It probably doesn't make much difference since GF-6 as well as the interim API SN Plus, where chiefly targeting turbo protection and performance in response to the proliferation of small block turbos.

What's more interesting is the GF-5 / SN specs for Mazda 0W30, like this:

Mazda Genuine Full Synthetic Engine Oil POWER PRO SN 5W-30 - 4Ltrs - Loyal Parts , with the same specs in other for sale listings.

Besides GF-6 being on the market for over two years, GF-5 predates SN Plus introduced in 2018 which purported to provide better anti-knock properties for turbo engines.

If I had a turbo I'd be looking for a current spec alternative.
Agreed, and that's basically why I'm using Mobil-1 5W-30 that meets spec. ISLAC GF-6A at only $24.47 for 5 quarts at Wal*Mart in my turbo.

The Mazda bottles in the OP show GF-5 standard as do ones for sale on a couple of web sites I spot checked. Kinda interesting it has not been upgraded to GF-6 which was approved for sale back in May 2020.
This’s the reason why I’ll be giving up using Mazda Moly 0W-20 GF-5 oil on my 2016 CX-5 since new once my stock is exhausted, and change it to a GF-6 oil such as Castrol Edge 0W-20 or 5W-30 oil.

It probably doesn't make much difference since GF-6 as well as the interim API SN Plus, where chiefly targeting turbo protection and performance in response to the proliferation of small block turbos.
Other than bturbo engine benefits from newer GF-6 oil, it does have many other benefits for naturally aspirated engines such as preventing low-speed pre-ignition (compare to GF-5 oil) and providing timing chain wear protection.

BDEFFEEC-7963-4F5B-B34E-62D5DDA83FBB.png

What's more interesting is the GF-5 / SN specs for Mazda 5W30, like this:

Somehow I can’t see the oil you linked as I got “Connection denied by IP2Location Country Blocker
Please contact web administrator for assistance.” error. But looks like it’s a Mazda 5W-30 oil available from other countries outside USA.

Somehow I can’t see the oil you linked as I got “Connection denied by IP2Location Country Blocker
Please contact web administrator for assistance.” error. But looks like it’s a Mazda 5W-30 oil available from other countries outside USA.
Strange. I'm getting the same message now. Yeah, it was just the first link I hit on showing the old specs for some 5W30 currently for sale. I topped mine up with current spec Castrol Edge though not really necessary.

Back