2.5T CX-5 Brake part replacement

I don't know what brake fluid your car takes, but most take DOT3. And for those who don't know, you CANNOT mix DOT3 and DOT4!
And you cannot drain all DOT3 and pour in DOT4 either. There is too much to explain here, but trust me, you don't want to even try. Most domestic road car worriers, blindly go around changing things, and have little or no idea as to it real benefits on public roads and regular road speeds. (Exception, racing cars and high performance cars, NOT Mazda street cars)
Why can't you mix them? They're both glycol based fluids, DOT 4 has a higher boiling point but both are compatible. DOT 5 is the one that is silicone based and should not be mixed.

Why can't you mix them? They're both glycol based fluids, DOT 4 has a higher boiling point but both are compatible. DOT 5 is the one that is silicone based and should not be mixed.

Yup.
And to make it more confusing, DOT 5.1 is compatible with 3 and 4.

DOT 4 can be used with DOT 3. You just dont get the benefits of the DOT 4 f.i higher boil point, etc.

But, unless your gonna do a complete flush, why waste money on the DOT4 ?

Correction: My apologies for the confusion.

DOT 3 vs. DOT 4 Brake Fluid Differences (Can You Mix Them?)​

What are the pros of the DOT4 brake fluid over the DOT3, and can you mix them? Let's find out!
The brake system is one of these things which are very important to take care of because you really want it to function properly in an emergency situation.

The brake fluid is one of these things that you need to replace every one or two years otherwise, it may cause rust inside the brake system and damage other parts.

There are two general types of brake fluids are produced: silicone or glycol basis. Dot3 and Dot4 are popular glycol-based brake fluid options available for many vehicles. While Dot3 is popular with normal drivers, Dot4 is more common in newer car models.

But what is the difference between them and can you mix them with each other?

Dot 3 vs. Dot 4 Brake Fluid Differences​

The main differences between the Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluid are the boiling point. The Dot 4 brake fluid does have both a higher wet and dry boiling point and is better suited for higher performance.

Both Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluids are glycol-based products used in your braking system. They are hygroscopic and absorb water from the atmosphere, which means that care must be taken when storing and regularly replacing potentially contaminated fluids.

TypeWet Boiling PointDry Boiling PointComposition
DOT 3400°F/205°C285°F/140°CGlycol Ether
DOT 4445°F/230°C310°F/155°CGlycol Ether/Borate Ester
DOT 5500°F/260°C355°F/180°CSilicone
DOT 5.1500°F/260°C355°F/180°CGlycol Ether/Borate Ester

Can you mix Dot 3 and Dot 4 Brake Fluid?​

Yes, Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluid can be mixed. It’s because both these are glycol-based brake fluids, which means that they are compatible with each other. If your car has Dot 4 from the factory, it’s not recommended to fill it with Dot 3, though; but the other way is fine.

If you have Dot 3 in your car from the factory and you know that you are often driving with a trailer or in steep hills, we strongly recommend refilling it with Dot 4 instead.

Can you mix Dot 5 with dot 3 and dot 4?​

Dot5 is a silicone-based brake fluid. It does not absorb water from the air and is not compatible with ABS systems. It maintains its integrity and works well. It also has a higher boiling point than the brake fluids Dot3 and Dot4, making it more compatible with excessively aggressive driving.
However, it is not compatible with Dot3 or Dot4 liquids and should never be mixed with them. You must also follow your manufacturer’s recommendations to know whether your braking system is compatible with Dot5 brake fluid.

I don't know what brake fluid your car takes, but most take DOT3. And for those who don't know, you CANNOT mix DOT3 and DOT4!
And you cannot drain all DOT3 and pour in DOT4 either. There is too much to explain here, but trust me, you don't want to even try. Most domestic road car worriers, blindly go around changing things, and have little or no idea as to it real benefits on public roads and regular road speeds. (Exception, racing cars and high performance cars, NOT Mazda street cars)
I see a bit of misinformation here.

You can absolutely put DOT 4 in your CX-5. Its not about race cars lol. I think you got DOT 4 confused. No worries though. You're just trying to spread safety awarness.

Fact: DOT 3 and DOT 4 CAN be mixed.
Fact: DOT 3 and DOT 4 are for street cars.
Fact: DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1 are interchangeable.

Opinion: 5.1 is for performance cars.

**THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT: DOT 5 is NOT INTERCHANGEABLE with DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1**
-----------------------------------------------

Benefits of a quality DOT 4 such as the Pentosin Super DOT4 you can get from your local Autozone?

-Higher boiling point threshold than OEM fluid.
-More Resistant to absorbing and retaining water than OEM. (water diminishes braking performance)
-Cheaper than OEM.
-May be more assessable than OEM dealership stock especially if your dealership is far. Autozones have more locations and more flexible hours.
-Compatible with OEM.
-Made in Germany (various skyactiv Mazdas have German made ABS systems, pads, and electronic braking systems. I believe made by TRW).
-I find myself needing to bleed the brakes less due to less water retention.

My needs: To be able to stop confidently every time and all the time....to the local Costco lol. Stopping on the freeway or on long road trips. To be able to withstand high temps of 110+ degrees in stop and go traffic. No squealing. No vibrations. Just good stopping performance.

I see a bit of misinformation here.

You can absolutely put DOT 4 in your CX-5. Its not about race cars lol. I think you got DOT 4 confused. No worries though. You're just trying to spread safety awarness.

Fact: DOT 3 and DOT 4 CAN be mixed.
Fact: DOT 3 and DOT 4 are for street cars.
Fact: DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1 are interchangeable.

Opinion: 5.1 is for performance cars.

**THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT: DOT 5 is NOT INTERCHANGEABLE with DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1**
-----------------------------------------------

Benefits of a quality DOT 4 such as the Pentosin Super DOT4 you can get from your local Autozone?

-Higher boiling point threshold than OEM fluid.
-More Resistant to absorbing and retaining water than OEM. (water diminishes braking performance)
-Cheaper than OEM.
-May be more assessable than OEM dealership stock especially if your dealership is far. Autozones have more locations and more flexible hours.
-Compatible with OEM.
-Made in Germany (various skyactiv Mazdas have German made ABS systems, pads, and electronic braking systems. I believe made by TRW).
-I find myself needing to bleed the brakes less due to less water retention.

My needs: To be able to stop confidently every time and all the time....to the local Costco lol. Stopping on the freeway or on long road trips. To be able to withstand high temps of 110+ degrees in stop and go traffic. No squealing. No vibrations. Just good stopping performance.
Not sure on your second bullet. DOT4 will absorb water faster than DOT3 just because of the higher glycol content. There's no free lunch with this one. You can use DOT4 fluid in a DOT3 system just fine and it will result in increased performance BUT you'll need to change it out more often than if you went with a DOT3 fluid. It's just something to keep in mind to prevent corrosion in the system.

I'm actually about to go out and flush my brakes now. I'm going to stick with DOT3 just so I can have a longer maintenance interval. I don't really drive super hard or tow, so I doubt even if I switched to DOT4 I would notice a difference.

dot 5.1 is the best for very hot climate and goes to higher temps but pricey. Not really worth it for the CX5.
If it was me I would stick with the oem which is good enough and cheap enough

If they pads have some thickness remaining, I will sand the glaze off and reuse. Dragging brakes to a stop the be easy on then causes glazing. JMO. Ed

Not sure on your second bullet. DOT4 will absorb water faster than DOT3 just because of the higher glycol content. There's no free lunch with this one. You can use DOT4 fluid in a DOT3 system just fine and it will result in increased performance BUT you'll need to change it out more often than if you went with a DOT3 fluid. It's just something to keep in mind to prevent corrosion in the system.

I'm actually about to go out and flush my brakes now. I'm going to stick with DOT3 just so I can have a longer maintenance interval. I don't really drive super hard or tow, so I doubt even if I switched to DOT4 I would notice a difference.
Not all DOT 4 are made equal. I tried Walmart's DOT 4 Supertech stuff I believe. It was a waste of money. I'll take one for the team. As tempting as it is Do not do it LOL!!!

The Pentosin Super DOT4 stuff advertises to resist water absorption. People with brake fluid water testing tools have supposedly verified this. I tend to notice its lifespan is performing better and for longer. I usually change out my brake fluid every 2.5 years when my fluid gets dark. So far its 3 years old and holding up to my conditions. If I can go to 4 years then hey its saving me time/money.

I highly advise going with the OEM Mazda fluid vs the stuff at the local stores like the Prestone except for the Pentosin.

DOT 3 vs DOT 4 aside, the Pentosin stuff is at or above the same performance of the OEM stuff at a lower price point and easier to get locally if you've got some autozones near you.

FWIW, I've been looking for an upgrade without going too overkill and getting a BBK (although the one from Cork Sport is reasonably priced).

What I ended up ordering was this G4000 double slotted rotor running Z23 pads. I'll let the group know how it goes in a month or so...waiting on the rotors now.

1125_web.jpg

z-23-evolution-carbon-fiber-ceramic-performance-brake-pads_1.jpg

Correction: My apologies for the confusion.

DOT 3 vs. DOT 4 Brake Fluid Differences (Can You Mix Them?)​

What are the pros of the DOT4 brake fluid over the DOT3, and can you mix them? Let's find out!
The brake system is one of these things which are very important to take care of because you really want it to function properly in an emergency situation.

The brake fluid is one of these things that you need to replace every one or two years otherwise, it may cause rust inside the brake system and damage other parts.

There are two general types of brake fluids are produced: silicone or glycol basis. Dot3 and Dot4 are popular glycol-based brake fluid options available for many vehicles. While Dot3 is popular with normal drivers, Dot4 is more common in newer car models.

But what is the difference between them and can you mix them with each other?

Dot 3 vs. Dot 4 Brake Fluid Differences​

The main differences between the Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluid are the boiling point. The Dot 4 brake fluid does have both a higher wet and dry boiling point and is better suited for higher performance.

Both Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluids are glycol-based products used in your braking system. They are hygroscopic and absorb water from the atmosphere, which means that care must be taken when storing and regularly replacing potentially contaminated fluids.

TypeWet Boiling PointDry Boiling PointComposition
DOT 3400°F/205°C285°F/140°CGlycol Ether
DOT 4445°F/230°C310°F/155°CGlycol Ether/Borate Ester
DOT 5500°F/260°C355°F/180°CSilicone
DOT 5.1500°F/260°C355°F/180°CGlycol Ether/Borate Ester

Can you mix Dot 3 and Dot 4 Brake Fluid?​

Yes, Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluid can be mixed. It’s because both these are glycol-based brake fluids, which means that they are compatible with each other. If your car has Dot 4 from the factory, it’s not recommended to fill it with Dot 3, though; but the other way is fine.

If you have Dot 3 in your car from the factory and you know that you are often driving with a trailer or in steep hills, we strongly recommend refilling it with Dot 4 instead.

Can you mix Dot 5 with dot 3 and dot 4?​

Dot5 is a silicone-based brake fluid. It does not absorb water from the air and is not compatible with ABS systems. It maintains its integrity and works well. It also has a higher boiling point than the brake fluids Dot3 and Dot4, making it more compatible with excessively aggressive driving.
However, it is not compatible with Dot3 or Dot4 liquids and should never be mixed with them. You must also follow your manufacturer’s recommendations to know whether your braking system is compatible with Dot5 brake fluid.

I think they have the wet and dry boiling points reversed.

Wet (once it's absorbed some water) boiling points are lower than dry (pure fluid) boiling points.

Step 1 ... Go out somewhere with no traffic and safely do several hard stops from a higher speed to get some heat in those pads and rotors.

That's what I would do if it were mine. :)
I just posted in the forum with grinding noise while braking on new OEM brake/rotors. I tired the several hard stop from higher speed method and after a while the noise went away but then came back the next day.
see this link for complete story: Grinding noise on new OEM brake/rotors (2018 CX-5)

Any other suggestions?

I just posted in the forum with grinding noise while braking on new OEM brake/rotors. I tired the several hard stop from higher speed method and after a while the noise went away but then came back the next day.
see this link for complete story: Grinding noise on new OEM brake/rotors (2018 CX-5)

Any other suggestions?
So, the hard stops to put heat into the brakes suggestion for that OP was for a several year old car with very low miles. Reading the details of what you are experiencing is different with new pads and rotors.

I'll respond more thoughts in that thread.

I took it to a second opinion shop and they hear the noise but cannot find what is wrong. They said it may be cheap brake pads because they tried to Google the serial number on the pad and cannot find anything on it. Can someone verify if these are the same OEM pads they have on their cx-5 by the serial number. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 20230906_162232.jpg
    20230906_162232.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 36
Back