CX-9 Left tail light replacement questions

:
CX-9 GT 2019
Got a strange hit&run damage to my cx-9. Something damaged only lift gate door near the license plate (few scratches) and broke the left tail light. Nothing else.

The tail light is broken clean so I was thinking to just find the part and replace. Tail lights seems to be available on Ebay etc.

Anyone did replace tail lights? Is it an easy DIY?
Any caveats buying a particular tail light? Should they all fit if for the same Gen? Usually there is no part number on ebay )

Got a strange hit&run damage to my cx-9. Something damaged only lift gate door near the license plate (few scratches) and broke the left tail light. Nothing else.

The tail light is broken clean so I was thinking to just find the part and replace. Tail lights seems to be available on Ebay etc.

Anyone did replace tail lights? Is it an easy DIY?
Any caveats buying a particular tail light? Should they all fit if for the same Gen? Usually there is no part number on ebay )

I think they changed the tail light design very slightly, some models have a small LED cluster at the outer lower corner of the "halo", while newer models use the actual halo as a brake light. My 2018 and the models before it have the first kind, I'm not sure if your 2019 is the same. Just be sure to get a matching housing.

Here's a link to a resource I wrote for replacing the rear turn signal bulbs.

And a quick 2 min video showing the process.

The steps include how to remove the tail light (partially). It looks like along with removing the turn signal bulb harness, you'd need to remove the harness for the LED halo/parking lights, and I'm not sure how that comes out. Worst case scenario, you cut open the harness and splice the wires from the old harness into the harness of the replacement lamp.

Thanks @sm1ke for tips and caveats. Got it replaced, relatively easy job. Seems like 16-19 years have the same tail light design.

Props to Mazda for no-BS connector (unlike Subaru). It was easy to disconnect but still tricky to connect the new one due to angle and hole is too small. The trick is to try to connect it visually, not sensually ) Unless you are a doctor of a particular field :)

Seems like I rushed a bit... just got a lead for a better fix :)
tail light.jpg

Back