What did you pay for your CX-9?

Yes, the “market adjustment” is everywhere especially on those hot-selling vehicles. My Mazda dealer sells most models in stock at MSRP, which is nice. But when I shop for Toyota Venza hybrid, Lexus NX 350h hybrid, or NX 450h+ PHEV, the “market adjustment” is printed right on the window sticker by the middleman, Gulf States Toyota!

Unfortunately buying Toyota’s and Lexus’ in Texas has to go through this private-owned Gulf States Toyota distributer, not directly from Toyota USA. Must be some good contract signed by the company with Toyota USA in early days getting the exclusive right to sell Toyota’s and Lexus’ in Gulf states including Texas.

Yes, just wait if we can.
I went to the Toyota dealer. He was apologetic but had nothing in stock so there we are looking at pictures on the internet together lol. They are committed to selling at MSRP which is probably why they have a months long waiting list. I honestly don’t like anything I see right now in this segment, but the cx9 was my favorite ride. The MDX is a train wreck, the pilot and highlander are so boring, I can’t deal with the Lexus grill design, the telluride has an 11 month wait. The cx9 is a bit small for me and I’m reading about the turbo reliability issues (never been a fan of any turbo) - but so fun to drive.

Last edited:
I can’t deal with the Lexus grill design, the telluride has an 11 month wait.
Actually the Toyota has tuned down the design at the front of the new Lexus NX to the level I can accept. The problem now is the high price due to the short supply and high demand.

2022 CX-9 Touring. Everett Wa Mazda. Costco pricing is $500 over invoice. So my touring was $37,170 plus $150 doc fee. That's it. MSRP 38,700 No sales tax cuz I live in a tax free state. And if I could have shown them paperwork that I owned another Mazda it would have been another $500 off for loyalty. I bet they would takin $100 over invoice. They have several and it's the last model year. I bet Mazda will be putting factory rebates out on these in a few months also. My two cents. Frank or Joe. Both good guys and they don't add a bunch of extra crap on the deal.

2022 CX-9 Touring. Everett Wa Mazda. Costco pricing is $500 over invoice. So my touring was $37,170 plus $150 doc fee. That's it. MSRP 38,700 No sales tax cuz I live in a tax free state. And if I could have shown them paperwork that I owned another Mazda it would have been another $500 off for loyalty. I bet they would takin $100 over invoice. They have several and it's the last model year. I bet Mazda will be putting factory rebates out on these in a few months also. My two cents. Frank or Joe. Both good guys and they don't add a bunch of extra crap on the deal.
Congrats! So is $500 over invoice using the Costco program the standard amount they give for all models in all states?

No. Each dealer, each month will pre negotiate the price with Costco. They pay Costco $5000 per month. Lots of dealers don’t really need Costco right now. We talked to a honda dealer and they take off $350. Another Honda dealer opted out for not needed anymore customers. It’s hit or miss. You contact Costco, give them a zip (any zip you want) and they tell you which dealers, if any, have opted in for that area. You can get as many referrals as you need to find what you want. They can still second sticker the car with their dealer add ons so it’s a good idea to go to Mazdas web site and see what’s in transit and pre buy before they add the crap on the car. My dealer did not second sticker

Last edited:
MSRP + doc fee ($400 or $500, can't remember exactly) -$1250 in rebates and 0.9% financing for a Touring Plus in the color we wanted. And honestly was fine with that after talking to pretty much every dealer within 4 hours of Atlanta. Atlanta area ones are mostly at MSRP + $1500 once you include fees. Inventory is still pretty tight so you can expect to wait a few weeks if you want one that isn't black or white, and the big dealers are basically saying "take it or leave it."

The "best deal" I found was $500 below MSRP and then minus rebates on a Grand Touring, but it had a bunch of port accessories and was still too much (additional $4k or so).

I just purchased wife's daily driver, it's a 22 Carbon Edition at $45,050. only add on was roof rails/crossbars. Was at MSRP seems like in retrospect we could've gotten a little lower with some more time and research. But so far happy with it. I'd be nearly perfect if it just had a little more giddyap. I may look at adding that jberger non-traceable tune.

2018 Sport AWD with Tech Package paid $30K flat (in 2018). Late to the party as usual. 2019's just hit the lot and they dealt very well here in Wichita, KS.

Paid $40,200 for our '21 CE with 14,200mi.

Was waiting on a new '22 CE that they were going to sell me at $42,451...BUT they required their financing at 4.9% and asked that you keep the loan for 6 months prior to buying it out or refinancing (sort of an agreement on honor, not in writing). They would not sell me the new '22 CE to me at $42,451 for cash+trade.

Was waiting on a new '22 CE that they were going to sell me at $42,451...BUT they required their financing at 4.9% and asked that you keep the loan for 6 months prior to buying it out or refinancing (sort of an agreement on honor, not in writing). They would not sell me the new '22 CE to me at $42,451 for cash+trade.
Sorry to hear that - thanks for sharing. Interesting, they were going to get their dealer markup some way or another it seems like. Not sure if there are any differences with the 21 vs 22 CE; did all/most 21 CE's come with AWD?

we bought in SoCal - where abouts were you purchasing?

I'm very sorry to say you fell for their shinanigans. You should have financed at the Mazda financial promotional rate going on now and then paid off the loan immediately. It's illegal for them to withhold and lie to you about rates that you qualify for and I'm sure Mazda/Toyota financial services would like to be informed that this dealership is refusing to use them for financing and turning away customers who want to purchase their vehicles because of it. Additionally, if there is nothing in writing about the bogus 6 months requirement (also illegal) and no prepayment penalty written in their contract, then you are free to do whatever the heck you want. You absolutely should have bought the new one for the price difference.

we bought in SoCal - where abouts were you purchasing?
Central, PA dealership hear State College.
I'm very sorry to say you fell for their shinanigans. You should have financed at the Mazda financial promotional rate going on now and then paid off the loan immediately. It's illegal for them to withhold and lie to you about rates that you qualify for and I'm sure Mazda/Toyota financial services would like to be informed that this dealership is refusing to use them for financing and turning away customers who want to purchase their vehicles because of it. Additionally, if there is nothing in writing about the bogus 6 months requirement (also illegal) and no prepayment penalty written in their contract, then you are free to do whatever the heck you want. You absolutely should have bought the new one for the price difference.
Yeah I was planning to do just what you said (early repay to get out of it) but; a) the car was still stuck on a boat in the Pacific waiting to get unloaded...and was ~3 weeks late already, b) the shadiness of the dealer turned me off and I wanted to take my business elsewhere, c) I had sold our 2011 Pilot and gotten good money for it and 1 car living was killing us. Plus the dealer we ended up buying from was great to work with and the sale took all of 25 minutes from start to finish! I am happy about my decision (as long as car prices stay high LOL).

Pretty late on posting this as I did this two months ago. Sold our '21 CE and leased a new '22 GT. Almost got dollar for dollar (including taxes and fees) on what we originally paid for our '21. MF on GT in March was pretty much zero (total rent charge over 36 months $279), and got a 6% discount plus $500 rebate on the GT.

Preferred the look of the CE, but the added features of the GT are great! Plus, driving the CE basically for free for a year was nice!

In NJ and ended up paying $1k over MSRP for a 22 Carbon. Went to several dealers and they all were over MSRP. Hated doing it but they gave us a nice amount for 2019 lease turn in so we didn't have to sell on our own. Inventory is fairly low, at least according to them.

In NJ and ended up paying $1k over MSRP for a 22 Carbon. Went to several dealers and they all were over MSRP. Hated doing it but they gave us a nice amount for 2019 lease turn in so we didn't have to sell on our own. Inventory is fairly low, at least according to them.
I hope you checked CarMax, Carvana and Vroom for buy quotes before turning in your lease to the dealer. I'm sure they will be making a tidy profit on it and took advantage of you. NEVER support these dealers that charge over MSRP. They do it precisely because of what you did. You also never set foot in a dealer to do any negotiating. You do it online, by email, txt and phone ONLY.

Just checked online and CX5 used inventory is up from the choices that we're available last year.

Last summer, there we're only 20 to 25 used cars(less than 4 years old) listed near me. My choices we're very limited last year.

This year there are over 75 used(less than 4 years old).

Also I can get a 2 year old car for almost what I paid for a 3 year old car last year.
I was unlucky to get stuck needing another vehicle last year.

So used inventory is definitely up(3 times more vehicles) and prices appear slightly down to stable.

Imo, only a matter of time before new vehicle inventory up-swings, used cars continue to become more abundant and prices drop even more, if only slighty.

As long as manufacturers continue production, new cars should adjust back to sticker or below sticker hopefully soon(especially if a recession takes hold)

The dealer will continue to peddle the inventory is tight even though the things we're worse last year.

But the numbers don't lie. If inventory is going up, prices will stabilize or drop.

Last edited:
Took delivery of our 2022 CX-9 Signature a month ago. Paid below invoice. I don't pay MSRP although stealership tells you due to chip shortage there's not a lot of supply and demand is high.
So I said to them if you have inventory sitting in a lot for weeks and months where is the demand. I will help you unload your inventory and make you money.

We also have a 2019 CX-5 GT which I also negotiated and paid below invoice.

Took delivery of our 2022 CX-9 Signature a month ago. Paid below invoice. I don't pay MSRP although stealership tells you due to chip shortage there's not a lot of supply and demand is high.
So I said to them if you have inventory sitting in a lot for weeks and months where is the demand. I will help you unload your inventory and make you money.

We also have a 2019 CX-5 GT which I also negotiated and paid below invoice.
Same here…I never pay above MSRP although here in Cda it’s illegal to sell above MSRP anyway but some get away with it and some tack on options not necessary to increase their margins. My mentality has always been “there is no car/vehicle worth paying over MSRP and if no deal then there are other vehicles and other dealerships that may sell better!”

Same here…I never pay above MSRP although here in Cda it’s illegal to sell above MSRP anyway but some get away with it and some tack on options not necessary to increase their margins. My mentality has always been “there is no car/vehicle worth paying over MSRP and if no deal then there are other vehicles and other dealerships that may sell better!”
Exactly, too many people get attached and have to have that vehicle & color & have it right now.

Instead of just walk away.

Plus the newer generations gets too stressed by negiotiation and can't handle being stress and doesnt haggle. Which has emboldened the salesforce to not back down, nor reduce pricing.

How far below MSRP did you get?

In August 2018 I bought a new CX9 AWD GT. Sticker was $43K and I think I got it for $39K. I felt good about the deal.

Back