2021 CX-9 Burning oil

The 2.5T takes 1 quart to go from the low mark to the max full mark when changing the oil. This is confirmed by many members andy.personal experience.
Thanks! I have no idea what's going on with my car! I add the 1/4 bottle (quart) and it goes straight up to the top mark and the low oil light goes off right away. However, I check the oil level few minutes after I add oil, I don't wait longer for the added oil settle which could be the cause of the problem.

I have the oil consumption issue. Oil light came on while on a trip and oil was at the bottom of the dipstick. I told the dealer what was up as it was oil change time and they just did the change and sent me on the way. Had zero concern for the low oil level. Luckily I found this thread and went back.

Dealership is doing the oil consumption test so car will be ready once there is a fix. They confirmed no leaks and within two weeks I lost oil at a fast rate (I forget the amount they added). Now I have to drive until oil light illuminates then go in and done with the test.

In all my years of Mazda ownership I have never had the oil light come on.

I had to show them the TSB as they had no idea.

.... In all my years of Mazda ownership I have never had the oil light come on.
The oil light that you're seeing is turned as a result of a pan oil level sensor being tripped, not the traditional idiot light driven by oil pressure. And not very many vehicles in the past have had an oil pan level sensor installed, so that's the reason you've never seen this particular situation before. And that's also the reason why Mazda was not concerned, because that oil light being on is not by itself an indication of a problem (as long as the oil level is not significantly low). Our vehicles of course also have the oil pressure idiot light, which is the one you're referring to, and the one you never want to see light up.

Installing that additional oil level sensor IMO has saved Mazda's bacon on this 2021 Turbo oil consumption issue. Very few owners check their vehicle's oil level on any regular basis, and if that oil light wasn't showing up, I believe it's likely that some percentage of these oil consumers might very well go low enough on oil to cause significant engine damage. It's still most likely going to ultimately end up costing Mazda big bucks to make all of the required repairs over the next few years, but at least there probably won't be very many engine replacements required.

Thanks! I got both the yellow oil light on and few minutes after the low oil message on the screen and my Mazda connected services phone app

And that's also the reason why Mazda was not concerned, because that oil light being on is not by itself an indication of a problem (as long as the oil level is not significantly low).
Except my oil level was significantly low...

Except my oil level was significantly low...

As it is in almost every case. We have three Mazda's that fall under the VIN numbers and with all three, when the light goes off, the oil is low.

Not sure why people are debating this. Mazda has acknowledged the issue and is now telling owners that a fix will be available very soon. They know the issue and are working to rectify the issue.

Not sure why people are debating this. Mazda has acknowledged the issue and is now telling owners that a fix will be available very soon. They know the issue and are working to rectify the issue.

I agree that people shouldn’t be debating the issue, nor attempting to claim that it is “normal.” It shouldn’t be normal. We have a 2021 CX-9 w/15k miles and got the low oil light at about 12k miles with ~4700 miles since oil change. By comparison, I have an EcoBoost engine w/45k miles on it, and using Ford’s recommended OCI of 10k miles, I see no perceptible oil consumption.

Dealer has acknowledged the issue and suggested that I open a case with Mazda, which I did. Dealer has done an “oil consumption test” twice now, and I’m not going to be patient with this for much longer before I start making more noise with Mazda. Car also has a leaking refrigerant line which is awaiting replacement.

The car has otherwise been wonderful, but it’s been more than a year since Mazda’s known about the oil consumption issue and there still isn’t a fix. I hope they don’t try to convince people that a certain amount of consumption on a nearly-new engine is “normal.”

I'll keep out of some of the debates, but just wanted to report another instance of a car that is consuming oil.

My car is a '21 with approx 26k on it. Last two oil change has seen the "Low level oil" warning lamp after 7k miles and just the other day, 5k miles after the oil change.

I tend to put enough oil in to be in the range of lower 2/3 of "low" and "high" indicator on a dip stick. I seem to recall I've filled the oil to about 1/3 up between low and high for both oil change. And I am just below the "LOW" when the lamp comes on. This means that the car is consuming about 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart in 5000 miles.

This also means if I put in oil to the "HIGH" mark, I'll have enough oil to cover the "LOW" mark up to about 10k Miles. So, I'm unaffected if I change the oil at instructed milage of 7.5k.

I'll keep out of some of the debates, but just wanted to report another instance of a car that is consuming oil.

My car is a '21 with approx 26k on it. Last two oil change has seen the "Low level oil" warning lamp after 7k miles and just the other day, 5k miles after the oil change.

I tend to put enough oil in to be in the range of lower 2/3 of "low" and "high" indicator on a dip stick. I seem to recall I've filled the oil to about 1/3 up between low and high for both oil change. And I am just below the "LOW" when the lamp comes on. This means that the car is consuming about 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart in 5000 miles.

This also means if I put in oil to the "HIGH" mark, I'll have enough oil to cover the "LOW" mark up to about 10k Miles. So, I'm unaffected if I change the oil at instructed milage of 7.5k.

That still seems like a lot of oil to be consuming on a relatively new engine. I would report the issue to your dealership or contact Mazda Corporate directly to get the issue on file, at the very least. Then, if you decide to pursue it further down the road, you have a clear starting point for when you first identified the issue.

Issues like this don't tend to get better over time, they either stay the same or they get worse.

Issues like this don't tend to get better over time, they either stay the same or they get worse.
This ^^^ is what you need to keep in mind, unless you're planning on changing vehicles before your powertrain warranty is done. Anyone owning one of these '21 turbos, who normally keeps their vehicles way beyond the warranty, needs to be aware that it's currently unknown what Mazda will do long-term for these oil consuming engines.

If they decide to do an official extended warranty to cover this issue, that's great news for everyone. But until that happens, owners of these vehicles need to always be vigilant and continually monitor the amount of oil consumed.

I expect that Mazda will be making repairs on vehicles which are found to have reached some arbitrary target amount of oil being consumed, during oil consumption testing performed by a dealership. So you will need to keep monitoring your vehicle's oil consumption, in order to know if the amount being consumed is getting close to whatever target amount that Mazda decides upon.

Based on information from a Mazda tech posted on another online site, the details of the repair (and the go ahead for it) are scheduled to be sent to the dealers in October. No idea what (if any) communication will be made to the owners at that time, so just keep checking the oil consumption and you'll be prepared for whatever they decide to do.

Is there any concerns about '22 models having this issue? I just walked off a lot yesterday with the keys to a '22 Touring Plus CX-9 and I'm starting to wonder if I've made a bad long term decision.

Can these oil burners pass state emission testing? If not, that is a lever to use against Mazda.

Can these oil burners pass state emission testing? If not, that is a lever to use against Mazda.
I was thinking the same. My car is 2021 GT, I was wondering if I buy it when the lease ends in 16 months would it pass the NJ state emission test? The car comes with 3 years exception since its brand new(here we don't go every year and do emission test for a brand new car, we go after 3 years and then annually I think). I am afraid that I buy it out, Mazda release the title to me then when I go to the MVC to register it by my name and do emission test it will FAIL!

MAZDA knows how to make engines that don't use a measurable amount of oil in a normal drain interval. I believe them when they point to a valve stem seal as the cause of abnormal usage. The dealers have an engineered fixture that allows a mechanic to change the seals. Not sure I want this job preformed at the dealer level. I probably would stick with adding a 1/2 quart when the low oil pop up comes on at ~3/4 of a quart down from Max. Just me. ED

.... I probably would stick with adding a 1/2 quart when the low oil pop up comes on at ~3/4 of a quart down from Max.....
It's all about the actual amount of oil consumption that's taking place and, even more importantly, if the consumption is increasing over time. So if you're adding 1/2 quart every 5-7K miles, and the consumption is not increasing, then I'd agree with you. But if it's consuming 1/2 quart let's say every 1K miles, would you still want to just keep on adding oil?

In all of the reports so far from owners of these oil-consuming 2021 turbos, I don't recall seeing a confirmed case of increase in oil consumption over time. Perhaps that has been reported and I just missed it, or maybe it's too early for it to show up. I guess time will tell on that.

It's all about the actual amount of oil consumption that's taking place and, even more importantly, if the consumption is increasing over time. So if you're adding 1/2 quart every 5-7K miles, and the consumption is not increasing, then I'd agree with you. But if it's consuming 1/2 quart let's say every 1K miles, would you still want to just keep on adding oil?

In all of the reports so far from owners of these oil-consuming 2021 turbos, I don't recall seeing a confirmed case of increase in oil consumption over time. Perhaps that has been reported and I just missed it, or maybe it's too early for it to show up. I guess time will tell on that.
It depends on the root cause of the issue. Whether its a degrading valve seal over time or the design of the valve is casing the leak but its not degrading at all. My consumption is the same since day 1. Have 14500 miles in the car

So back in 10/02/2021 (9456mi) when I went to the dealer to report the oil consumption, all they did was to give me lame excuse about the engine being "new" and they just changed the oil and top it off. Oil level was right above the FULL mark.

I'm @ 15056mi now, after 4 months, so I changed my oil today and the oil level is almost at the low level.

View attachment 307215

Poured in an entire 5qt jug after I installed the pre-filled oil filter.

View attachment 307216

Topped it off to avoid future low oil warnings in the next 5k miles or so.

View attachment 307217

I hope Mazda issues a solution to this oil burning issue sooner than later.

UPDATE: It's been 5361 miles since my last oil change (above), time for another oil change. This is my dipstick @ 20417 miles:

20220731_104123.jpg

Oil consumption APPEARS to have slowed down.

This time I put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and will see if it makes a difference.

Fresh oil @ ALMOST full:
20220731_132151.jpg

Will report back after my next oil change.

This ^^^ is what you need to keep in mind, unless you're planning on changing vehicles before your powertrain warranty is done. Anyone owning one of these '21 turbos, who normally keeps their vehicles way beyond the warranty, needs to be aware that it's currently unknown what Mazda will do long-term for these oil consuming engines.

If they decide to do an official extended warranty to cover this issue, that's great news for everyone. But until that happens, owners of these vehicles need to always be vigilant and continually monitor the amount of oil consumed.

I expect that Mazda will be making repairs on vehicles which are found to have reached some arbitrary target amount of oil being consumed, during oil consumption testing performed by a dealership. So you will need to keep monitoring your vehicle's oil consumption, in order to know if the amount being consumed is getting close to whatever target amount that Mazda decides upon.

Based on information from a Mazda tech posted on another online site, the details of the repair (and the go ahead for it) are scheduled to be sent to the dealers in October. No idea what (if any) communication will be made to the owners at that time, so just keep checking the oil consumption and you'll be prepared for whatever they decide to do.
Damn I have a 21 GTR but have not noticed any consumptions yet at about 6k mi bought in 6/2021. My issue is I dont drive it enough to find issues sooner.

UPDATE: It's been 5361 miles since my last oil change (above), time for another oil change. This is my dipstick @ 20417 miles:

View attachment 312902
Oil consumption APPEARS to have slowed down.

This time I put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and will see if it makes a difference.

Fresh oil @ ALMOST full:
View attachment 312903

Will report back after my next oil change.

Actually, our CX-9 at close to 45K miles seems to be dong better, but not sure if it is because they are overfilling (going to dealer). The oil level goes below the top hole, but the light does not come on anymore.

Our 2021 CX-5 with less than 20K miles, has the light go on at about 2K miles after the oil change. For that car, my wife has been taking the car to a local place and not a dealer.

Back