Towing with your CX-9

No problems hauling this home. Restoration ongoing.
What was the total weight there? If you were in the US, I could guess a little more at the weight of the trailer plus cargo, but I don’t know the restrictions and typical trailer builds overseas. In the US, that would be 2x 3500lb axles with a smallish box on it so I’d guess about 1500-2000lbs for just the trailer. Probably pushing close to the maximum load here in the US with that metal brake (?).

What was the total weight there? If you were in the US, I could guess a little more at the weight of the trailer plus cargo, but I don’t know the restrictions and typical trailer builds overseas. In the US, that would be 2x 3500lb axles with a smallish box on it so I’d guess about 1500-2000lbs for just the trailer. Probably pushing close to the maximum load here in the US with that metal brake (?).
2000lbs = 900kg for trailer sounds about right, it was a rental trailer.
The brake probably weighs about the same. It’s solid. Most of it seems to be 1” in cross section at a minimum. It is only 36” though, so not massive.

2000lbs = 900kg for trailer sounds about right, it was a rental trailer.
The brake probably weighs about the same. It’s solid. Most of it seems to be 1” in cross section at a minimum. It is only 36” though, so not massive.
Not too far over the US towing capacity then. Remind me what the AUS towing capacity is? I’ve towed 7000lbs with a vehicle rated for 5000lbs and that was not a fun experience. Loaded it like Europe and AUS do with 3-5% tongue weight and that thing wobbled so much. Based on you saying “no problems,” I would assume you didn’t experience much tail wagging the dog?

The current Mazda Australia web site is saying 2000Kg braked, with a 150kg ball weight. I thought it was 2500kg when i bought the car, they may have down graded it.
(So 4400 & 330 in furlongs per donkey)
Weight was probably close to that. I have not weighed the set up. From a stability perspective, it was fine. Very stable.
The trailer brakes were acting up though as they were crappy hydraulic override units based on the a sliding coupling/hitch and they were not adjusted correctly. So you could feel then cycling on an off as the trailer bounced against the actuator. Needed to adjust the pushrod some more.

The trailer brakes were acting up though as they were crappy hydraulic override units based on the a sliding coupling/hitch and they were not adjusted correctly.
I hate those. All the rental trailers in the US have those and it ends up rocking you forward and backward when you’re braking. If I used a trailer more often, I’d get my own. As of right now, it would take 27 years to break even vs renting a trailer every time I need it (~3x/year)

Hi, so am I understanding this right...if a cx9 can tow 3500 lb, the max tongue weight is 350 lb?

Hi, so am I understanding this right...if a cx9 can tow 3500 lb, the max tongue weight is 350 lb?
In NA yes. That tongue weight also has to be factored into your payload. IIRC the payload is like 1300 lbs so with a maxed out trailer, you’d be right around 1000 lbs of people and other cargo

In NA yes. That tongue weight also has to be factored into your payload. IIRC the payload is like 1300 lbs so with a maxed out trailer, you’d be right around 1000 lbs of people and other cargo
Follow up Q, as I'm a total newb to all this.

Making up numbers.

Say I am at the limit of a vehicles payload, so I need to move gear to the trailer. Say 500 lb of gear (it wont be that much but just say). I'm still well under the trailer payload (700 lb under even with full water tank). Well under GCWR (obviously), and still under the vehicle tow limit.

That weight is still going to increase my tongue weight 10 to 15%. Say 75 lb more. If that 75 lb puts me over my tongue weight limit, even if I'm now over BY 75 lb, is that an amount a weight distribution hitch can redistribute? Or is that asking too much of the product?

How much redistributing can the equipment do?

Follow up Q, as I'm a total newb to all this.

Making up numbers.

Say I am at the limit of a vehicles payload, so I need to move gear to the trailer. Say 500 lb of gear (it wont be that much but just say). I'm still well under the trailer payload (700 lb under even with full water tank). Well under GCWR (obviously), and still under the vehicle tow limit.

That weight is still going to increase my tongue weight 10 to 15%. Say 75 lb more. If that 75 lb puts me over my tongue weight limit, even if I'm now over BY 75 lb, is that an amount a weight distribution hitch can redistribute? Or is that asking too much of the product?

How much redistributing can the equipment do?
I think you’re over thinking this. Stay 3500 lbs or under for your trailer and ~10% tongue weight. I think you’ll find that most hitches are rated for a bit more than the 350 lb tongue weight as a precaution. At these relatively low weights, I wouldn’t bother with a weight distributing hitch, although it will technically help and it is your prerogative if you want to spend the money on it or not. I was towing trailers around my parents’ property before I had a learners permit. The manual does state you need brakes for anything over 1000 lbs so I would install those

I think you’re over thinking this. Stay 3500 lbs or under for your trailer and ~10% tongue weight. I think you’ll find that most hitches are rated for a bit more than the 350 lb tongue weight as a precaution. At these relatively low weights, I wouldn’t bother with a weight distributing hitch, although it will technically help and it is your prerogative if you want to spend the money on it or not. I was towing trailers around my parents’ property before I had a learners permit. The manual does state you need brakes for anything over 1000 lbs so I would install those
Oh I'm def overthinking, that's basically my way (it's a joy for my wife). I'm actually asking just to understand since I've never done this, but as well I have a friend going thru the same thinking process and he has an MDX that would be right at the payload and tongue weight limits with one particular trailer option. He's under on tow capacity, GCWR and trailer payload. He is wondering if he can use the trailer to transport his gear and keep the vehicle mainly for wife, kids and dogs. If he could use the hitch to redistribute about 50 to 75 lb off the tongue, he'd be more confident. Acura says 380 lb max with 4 people.

But of course, he'd reduce the load in the MDX but gain some back as the tongue weight rises.

Acura actually gives a chart for tongue weight limits, based on number of passengers. I don't see that anywhere for the CX9, which is too bad as it would be helpful. I was surprised that a trailer about 1700 lb under his 5000 lb tow limit would still push the limits of his other max weights. It's not like they are a family of strongmen, avg size 4 people and a dog.

At any rate, he's obviously going to run this all by the dealer, but I thought it would be good to understand in case I find a trailer that puts me in the same situation.

There is nothing on the internet that quite explains this so I had to come up with my own some time ago, especially when towing with 4-pot lower capacity ratings than trucks

You need 2 calculations:

One for SUV/car cargo payload and one for trailer cargo payload

SUV cargo payload =
+ GVWR
- curb weight
- any additions( heavier tires, roof rails, hitch, skid plates, extra soundproofing, etc )
- passengers weight
- tongue weight.

Trailer cargo payload =
+ GCWR(or GCVWR)
- vehicle curb weight
- any additions( heavier tires, roof rails, hitch, skid plates, etc.)
- passengers
- car cargo payload
- trailer weight.

* You still need to make sure you don't pack more cargo weight than the trailer manufacturers guidelines/ratings.

Also of you are close to maxing your GVWR, then you can throw all your cargo in the trailer to the max GCWR.

Last edited:
@GTA-CX9 yes you can throw some gear in the trailer and theoretically you’d be reducing the weight of that gear as it pertains to your payload by 90% (10% on tongue) while adding to your towing weight.

As an example, if you had a 2000 lb trailer and 500 pounds of gear in the vehicle, your payload would be 700 lbs for trailer and gear, leaving you with around 600 lbs for passengers. If you were going to take 4 adults (assuming 200 lbs each) and 3 kids (assuming 75 lbs each), you’d be over the payload by about 425 pounds. Shifting all that gear to the trailer brings your trailer weight to 2500 (still within towable amount) and your payload from gear and trailer drops to approximately 250 pounds assuming it’s loaded correctly. That would leave you just under the payload with all 7 passengers and the tongue weight of the trailer.

@GTA-CX9 yes you can throw some gear in the trailer and theoretically you’d be reducing the weight of that gear as it pertains to your payload by 90% (10% on tongue) while adding to your towing weight.

As an example, if you had a 2000 lb trailer and 500 pounds of gear in the vehicle, your payload would be 700 lbs for trailer and gear, leaving you with around 600 lbs for passengers. If you were going to take 4 adults (assuming 200 lbs each) and 3 kids (assuming 75 lbs each), you’d be over the payload by about 425 pounds. Shifting all that gear to the trailer brings your trailer weight to 2500 (still within towable amount) and your payload from gear and trailer drops to approximately 250 pounds assuming it’s loaded correctly. That would leave you just under the payload with all 7 passengers and the tongue weight of the trailer.
Ok thanks, I figured that is the sort of game people play. A lot of moving parts to the math, it's sort of scary though when you look at the #s some vehicles with only a bit more weight than the cx9 can tow. A Q7 has more power and curbweight than the cx9, but more than double the tow weight limit which seems risky. The thought of someone towing a 7000 lb trailer with less than a pickup is IMO nuts.

Ok thanks, I figured that is the sort of game people play. A lot of moving parts to the math, it's sort of scary though when you look at the #s some vehicles with only a bit more weight than the cx9 can tow. A Q7 has more power and curbweight than the cx9, but more than double the tow weight limit which seems risky. The thought of someone towing a 7000 lb trailer with less than a pickup is IMO nuts.
A 4 banger Q7 has similar power to the CX-9 but weighs approx 400 lbs more and has a 4400 lb tow capacity. I would guess the weak brakes on the CX-9 are what held it back. The V6 Q7 makes more power and weighs more than a base F150 which can tow more. Since 2013 (adopted 2015 but applies back to 2013 MY), the SAE J2807 standards have been what determines the towing capacity in the US. Very grueling tests so you can rest assured than the rated weight is safe to tow 😃

I think I already know the answer, but is there a secret “towing mode” option hidden somewhere in the menus that I’ve yet to find? (2021 GT with a small pop-up trailer) Or do I just need to remember to turn off collision avoidance when I start the car up while the trailer is attached (assuming I want to reverse at some point without the car absolutely shitting a brick about it)? Can confirm that the Smart City Brake Support works *very* well in reverse… 😂

Towed this trailer over 500 km each way for summer vacation:

In hindsight it may have been slightly overweight with luggage and passengers, but i made sure the tanks were empty and i knew the road there was flat and straight.

The Cx-9 handled it fairly well. I could feel the trailer but the engine wasn’t struggling. The suspension felt a bit soft for it with a lot more up down motion than usual, but the trailer distribution hitch was rented and not perfectly adjusted.

I used 91/93 octane for the trip in case i needed the additional power, kept the speed at 100km/h with the occasional stint to 110 for passing. I also used 5th gear in manual mode for cruising to give the engine a slightly easier time, 4th gear for passing on the highway and automatic in sport mode in town. Cruise control seemed to struggle a bit so i drove it manually.

IMG_9603.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9603.jpeg
    IMG_9603.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Towed this trailer over 500 km each way for summer vacation:

In hindsight it may have been slightly overweight with luggage and passengers, but i made sure the tanks were empty and i knew the road there was flat and straight.

The Cx-9 handled it fairly well. I could feel the trailer but the engine wasn’t struggling. The suspension felt a bit soft for it with a lot more up down motion than usual, but the trailer distribution hitch was rented and not perfectly adjusted.

I used 91/93 octane for the trip in case i needed the additional power, kept the speed at 100km/h with the occasional stint to 110 for passing. I also used 5th gear in manual mode for cruising to give the engine a slightly easier time, 4th gear for passing on the highway and automatic in sport mode in town. Cruise control seemed to struggle a bit so i drove it manually.

View attachment 321344
Were you using a Bluetooth Brake Controller by any chance?

The controller was a tekonsha prodigy RF brake controller. Similar to a Bluetooth controller in that it does not need a brake controller installed in the towing vehicle. But instead of using an app on the phone it uses a dongle connected in the cigarette lighter plug to adjust the brake setting and to brake manually in case of emergency.

I don’t know if Bluetooth is better or not, this one was provided with the trailer which is why i used it. I don’t have a brake controller installed in my CX-9.

Back