Middle Row Seat belt unbuckle / no red trigger latch...Is this safe?

:
Mazda CX-5 2106.5
Had my 2016.5 CX-5 for six years and haven't noticed this. Can't believe this feature, how is this safe? I couldn't figure it out on first sight but was able to get the answer. How is this safe? Any recall on this?

My middle seat belt has 2 buckles. One has the typical red button. The other one is not meant to be unbuckled often and has a slot with a white recessed button for a key.

It is eminently safe.

My middle seat belt has 2 buckles. One has the typical red button. The other one is not meant to be unbuckled often and has a slot with a white recessed button for a key.

It is eminently safe.

How's the one with the slot with the white recessed button eminently safe? If there's a child in that seat and needs to get out, he's not getting out by himself if needed. Curious to why there isn't a red release button on that seatbelt.

How's the one with the slot with the white recessed button eminently safe? If there's a child in that seat and needs to get out, he's not getting out by himself if needed. Curious to why there isn't a red release button on that seatbelt.

There is. Go look.

Attachments

• 71643F7A-8B47-4682-81A7-292F20D21DDF.jpeg
    71643F7A-8B47-4682-81A7-292F20D21DDF.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 116
It seems so. I have a 2016.5 CX-5. Called the dealer, guy knows of it but didn’t think there’s a problem. Will be calling the corporate office soon.

It is normal. Your center seat belt as two anchor point. The red one on the left of the photo is where you attach your seat belt when you sit in it. The one on the right on the photo is there to anchor the seat belt to the seat ( like how all the other seat belt are bolted from the roof to the seat when unhooked).

When you sit in the seat you only use the red anchor. The grey one is there if you want to get the sear belt out of the way when you fold down the seat flat. It is not mean to be unlactched on a daily basis.

Sit in the seat and use the seat belt, you will understand what i mean.

It is normal. Your center seat belt as two anchor point. The red one on the left of the photo is where you attach your seat belt when you sit in it. The one on the right on the photo is there to anchor the seat belt to the seat ( like how all the other seat belt are bolted from the roof to the seat when unhooked).

When you sit in the seat you only use the red anchor. The grey one is there if you want to get the sear belt out of the way when you fold down the seat flat. It is not mean to be unlactched on a daily basis.

Sit in the seat and use the seat belt, you will understand what i mean.
You’re right 🤪

That second buckle must have something to do with baby seats. My baby is 29 so I don't know what is used now. :D

It is usually there because the middle seat belt start from the roof, and gets in the way of the loading space when the seat are folded flats. Usually cars that don’t have it have the seat belt coming out of the top of the seat instead of the roof, so when the seats are folded flat the seat belt fold with it and is out of the way.

I don’t know if the cx-5 is that way, but that is my observation from other cars

Back