Would you guys be interested in getting quality wide-angled mirrors for your CX-50?

I'm a massive fan of this wide-angle side mirror manufacturer called Suma Performance. They make some quality sideview mirrors. I already bought several pairs from them for my Tesla Model 3 and Rav4 Prime and they're all great. So I'm thinking of getting a CX-50 PHEV once it comes out but Suma currently don't have the mirrors. I emailed them to inquire and they told me that they could probably start producing mirrors for the CX-50 if they could garner enough interest from people (at least 20 inquiries). So if you guys are interested, please email them at support@sumaperformance.com. Their mirrors come in several versions (some have BSM and built-in indicator arrows). Here are the links to their mirrors so you guys can check out the quality for yourself:

Tesla Model 3 wide-angle mirrors: Tesla Model 3

Toyota Rav4 & Tacoma mirrors: 16+ TACOMA (3rd Gen)/ 14+ 4RUNNER (5th Gen)/ 18+ RAV4 (5th Gen)

YouTube videos of mirrors in action: Toyota Tacoma | Suma Performance Mirrors Install | (2017 Tacoma)

Too expensive for me.

I used the $2 small round convex mirrors from AutoZone on all my vehicles.

No blind spot ever if adjusted right, but no one knows or likes doing it. I can 100% change lanes using regular sideview mirrors only and have zero blind spots

No blind spot ever if adjusted right, but no one knows or likes doing it. I can 100% change lanes using regular sideview mirrors only and have zero blind spots
But then you wouldn't be able to see the rear of your car if you adjust your side mirrors to eliminate all blind spots. Plenty of people know how to do it as Google doesn't cost a thing. The reason most folks don't like to adjust their side mirrors that way is because they wouldn't be able to see the rear of their car. And having the rear of your car as a reference point can be tremendously helpful when backing into a tight parking spot. That's where these wide-angle mirrors come in handy. Since the field of view is widened you can see both the rear of your car AND eliminate all blind spots.

Too expensive for me.

Yeah, I guess those work too but they look really tacky imo. The mirrors from Suma look stock with built-in turn signals, BSM, defroster, and even anti-glare tint if you want.

Too expensive for me.

good quality glass ain't cheap, and those $2 stick on bubble mirrors are next to useless... they're so small, you can't really see what's there except you can only see that something is there

But then you wouldn't be able to see the rear of your car if you adjust your side mirrors to eliminate all blind spots. Plenty of people know how to do it as Google doesn't cost a thing. The reason most folks don't like to adjust their side mirrors that way is because they wouldn't be able to see the rear of their car. And having the rear of your car as a reference point can be tremendously helpful when backing into a tight parking spot. That's where these wide-angle mirrors come in handy. Since the field of view is widened you can see both the rear of your car AND eliminate all blind spots.
that's what every ignorant american says to defend the stupidity of flat mirrors... no blind spots are ever eliminated when the flat mirrors are "adjusted right", you're just shifting the blind spot from one bad location to a less bad location

I heard this excuse many times

I'm a massive fan of this wide-angle side mirror manufacturer called Suma Performance. They make some quality sideview mirrors. I already bought several pairs from them for my Tesla Model 3 and Rav4 Prime and they're all great. So I'm thinking of getting a CX-50 PHEV once it comes out but Suma currently don't have the mirrors. I emailed them to inquire and they told me that they could probably start producing mirrors for the CX-50 if they could garner enough interest from people (at least 20 inquiries). So if you guys are interested, please email them at support@sumaperformance.com. Their mirrors come in several versions (some have BSM and built-in indicator arrows). Here are the links to their mirrors so you guys can check out the quality for yourself:

Toyota Rav4 & Tacoma mirrors: 16+ TACOMA (3rd Gen)/ 14+ 4RUNNER (5th Gen)/ 18+ RAV4 (5th Gen)

YouTube videos of mirrors in action: Toyota Tacoma | Suma Performance Mirrors Install | (2017 Tacoma)
you can make them, but it's already done from the factory... just import aspheric mirror glasses from UK and an EU country, they're all stock there... no functional loss, BSM, heaters, all there

JDM mirror glasses is also a way, but they're not aspheric but are convex only, but they have smaller radius of curvature convex than EDM ones, which provides the same field of view as the EDM aspheric mirrors but at a much greater distortion/mimification, thus sacrificing ease of distance judgement

keep in mind, none of these mirrors do not meet DOT rules, thus are not legal to use in the US and Canada, because DOT rules require a flat driver's side mirror and the passenger side requires the "objects in mirror" warning label... an "offroad use only" disclaimer should be considered... EDM nor JDM mirrors have the warning labels... no other countries requires it except for South Korea and GCC countries

I imported EDM mirrors for all of my cars over the years, and they've all been worth the money... I don't have a CX-50, but here's some examples from my own mazdas (Mazda3 has probably r1400 mirrors and Protege r1250 mirrors)
BMleft.png

DSC_3956.JPG

DSC_3961.JPG

that being said, I'm glad that you're offering these mirrors for some USDM only cars, such as the Tacoma and 4Runner... consider selling these in Japan as there are USDM car enthusiasts there who import USDM only Toyota trucks... I'm going to let my tesla fanboy friend know about your mirrors though since getting the stock EDM ones doesn't really make sense because they cost a lot and aren't even aspheric but just plain convex

@ThatSumaDud Hi and welcome…Whether or not you are associated in some way with Suma Performance…Please note Authorized Vendor status is required in order to conduct business on Mazdas247.

To obtain Authorized Vendor status, please first apply via the Authorized Vendor application posted here… Sponsor Application Forms

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

you can make them, but it's already done from the factory... just import aspheric mirror glasses from UK and an EU country, they're all stock there... no functional loss, BSM, heaters, all there

JDM mirror glasses is also a way, but they're not aspheric but are convex only, but they have smaller radius of curvature convex than EDM ones, which provides the same field of view as the EDM aspheric mirrors but at a much greater distortion/mimification, thus sacrificing ease of distance judgement

keep in mind, none of these mirrors do not meet DOT rules, thus are not legal to use in the US and Canada, because DOT rules require a flat driver's side mirror and the passenger side requires the "objects in mirror" warning label... an "offroad use only" disclaimer should be considered... EDM nor JDM mirrors have the warning labels... no other countries requires it except for South Korea and GCC countries

I imported EDM mirrors for all of my cars over the years, and they've all been worth the money... I don't have a CX-50, but here's some examples from my own mazdas (Mazda3 has probably r1400 mirrors and Protege r1250 mirrors)
View attachment 311507
View attachment 311508
View attachment 311509

that being said, I'm glad that you're offering these mirrors for some USDM only cars, such as the Tacoma and 4Runner... consider selling these in Japan as there are USDM car enthusiasts there who import USDM only Toyota trucks... I'm going to let my tesla fanboy friend know about your mirrors though since getting the stock EDM ones doesn't really make sense because they cost a lot and aren't even aspheric but just plain convex
I actually don't work for Suma Performance nor do I affiliated with them in any way. I simply emailed them to ask if they plan to produce mirrors for the CX-50 and they told me that they could start production IF they get more than 20 inquiries. That's why I provided their email address in my original post. But thank you for telling me about these EDM aspheric mirror glasses. I've never heard of them before. Would you mind sharing a link to the website where you got you EDM mirror glasses? Also, here's a tutorial on how to install the Suma Performance mirror glass for Model 3 in case your friend need it: Tesla Model 3 Suma Performance Mirror Install

@ThatSumaDud Hi and welcome…Whether or not you are associated in some way with Suma Performance…Please note Authorized Vendor status is required in order to conduct business on Mazdas247.

To obtain Authorized Vendor status, please first apply via the Authorized Vendor application posted here… Sponsor Application Forms

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Hi there, I just want to clarify that I'm not a vendor. I don't work for Suma Performance or do I affiliated with them in any way. I simply bought a few pairs of mirror glass from them in the past and became a fan due to the superb quality. That's why I wanted to share it with everyone and also to generate enough interest so Suma Performance can consider making wide-angle glasses for the CX-50.

that's what every ignorant american says to defend the stupidity of flat mirrors... no blind spots are ever eliminated when the flat mirrors are "adjusted right", you're just shifting the blind spot from one bad location to a less bad location

If you want to keep the mirrors road legal in NA, then the best solution is to adjust the existing mirrors.

Your field of visibility is definitely improved with these wide angle mirrors. If it were me, I'd just keep my old pair of mirrors around, just in case I needed to get my vehicle safetied or inspected for whatever reason. I actually wanted to buy a pair for my CX-9, but shipping was too expensive to Canada.

Last edited:
But then you wouldn't be able to see the rear of your car if you adjust your side mirrors to eliminate all blind spots. Plenty of people know how to do it as Google doesn't cost a thing.
Why do you need to see the rear of your car? Looking straight down the side of your car provides no useful information. The only reason to see the back of your car is to make sure no one steals your gas cap. When adjusted properly, there is no blind spot whatsoever as anything would be seen by either your rear view mirror or your side view mirrors

no blind spots are ever eliminated when the flat mirrors are "adjusted right", you're just shifting the blind spot from one bad location to a less bad location

Wrong. There is no area that can't be seen between a combination of rear view and the side view mirror. As a car approaches from the rear/side, at the time it can no longer be seen in the rear view it appears in the side view. And when it is no longer seen in the side view, then you'll see it right out your window.

I'm a massive fan of this wide-angle side mirror manufacturer called Suma Performance. They make some quality sideview mirrors. I already bought several pairs from them for my Tesla Model 3 and Rav4 Prime and they're all great. So I'm thinking of getting a CX-50 PHEV once it comes out but Suma currently don't have the mirrors. I emailed them to inquire and they told me that they could probably start producing mirrors for the CX-50 if they could garner enough interest from people (at least 20 inquiries). So if you guys are interested, please email them at......
Are you a massive fan or a dealer selling them? Fans don't typically name themselves after their new part and embed multiple links to the same site on their 1st post.
That's what dealers do.

Why do you need to see the rear of your car? Looking straight down the side of your car provides no useful information. The only reason to see the back of your car is to make sure no one steals your gas cap. When adjusted properly, there is no blind spot whatsoever as anything would be seen by either your rear view mirror or your side view mirrors
Why do I need to see the rear of my car? Did you even read my reply? I'll say it again here, you might want to see the rear of your car so you can use it as a point of reference to help you reverse into a tight parking spot. How else would you be able to tell the position of your car in relation to the cars parking next to you?

Are you a massive fan or a dealer selling them? Fans don't typically name themselves after their new part and embed multiple links to the same site on their 1st post.
That's what dealers do.
Like I said, I'm a MASSIVE fan. I think the quality of their mirror glasses is great and more people should know about them. But since you mods keep accusing me of something I'm not, let me attach a screenshot of my conversation with them (SumaPerformance) here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-125331_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220712-125331_Gmail.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 121
Like I said, I'm a MASSIVE fan. I think the quality of their mirror glasses is great and more people should know about them. But since you mods keep accusing me of something I'm not, let me attach a screenshot of my conversation with them (SumaPerformance) here.

Mind your tone. Nobody is accusing you of anything, we are just clarifying intent.

Other users have done similar "gauging interest" threads for these same Suma Performance mirrors, only they were for the 2nd generation CX-5 and 2nd generation CX-9. Same process, Eddy gathered enough interest and started a preorder. Unfortunately, many of the buyers got the wrong product, or the mirrors didn't fit. Hopefully this time around, the same thing doesn't happen.

I actually don't work for Suma Performance nor do I affiliated with them in any way. I simply emailed them to ask if they plan to produce mirrors for the CX-50 and they told me that they could start production IF they get more than 20 inquiries. That's why I provided their email address in my original post. But thank you for telling me about these EDM aspheric mirror glasses. I've never heard of them before. Would you mind sharing a link to the website where you got you EDM mirror glasses? Also, here's a tutorial on how to install the Suma Performance mirror glass for Model 3 in case your friend need it: Tesla Model 3 Suma Performance Mirror Install
ok, so it looks like the CX-50 is US/Canada only... the CX-60 mirror glass might fit, but you need to determine who made your mirrors... look at the bottom of the mirror housings with all the etched markings... it will say the suppler... I know Japanese built Mazdas in the past 10 years use mirrors from Ishigaki, while Mexican ones are from SMR... looks the same, but they're not... the motors are different, and so the mirror glass attaches very differently..... technically you can heat up the mirror and pry off the plastic backing from the glass and swap it over (with fresh glue of course), but it's risky as hell

but first, you need to find out who makes the mirrors (since it's new production from the US plant, and I haven't had time to go to the dealer in months), and also if another globally sold mazda uses the same mirrors for it to be a straight swap... they all look similar at first glance, but they might be bigger or smaller than the other mazdas, you just need to do a stare and compare or measure to find out... for example the older 3rd gen 6 mirrors can interchange with the Japanese built 3rd gen 3 mirrors

Mind your tone. Nobody is accusing you of anything, we are just clarifying intent.

Other users have done similar "gauging interest" threads for these same Suma Performance mirrors, only they were for the 2nd generation CX-5 and 2nd generation CX-9. Same process, Eddy gathered enough interest and started a preorder. Unfortunately, many of the buyers got the wrong product, or the mirrors didn't fit. Hopefully this time around, the same thing doesn't happen.
that's just sad... the group buy effort would've been better spent on importing OEM mirrors from europe which will be better anyway... ignorance is bliss lol

Back