What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

So a couple times a month I make a drive over several mountains on a country road. Well this time I was by myself and decided to open up my ‘13 M5 a little. The difference between performance when the A/C is on or off is profound.

I’ve had several 4 bangers in my time on the road. But this is the first one where it’s been night and day.

Restored my interest in my M5.

I drive in the mountains frequently and can relate.
1655966943381.png

I've loved my supertones for a few years now. I did like you said on the '12 and couldn't find anyplace the get them in the grill either. One on each side of the crash bar worked. I ran the wires through the bar to the other side to keep things neat.
Update on my supertones. I've had them for about 4 years now. I liked the tone, but they rust like crazy and sounded worse and worse, til one rusted a hole in the disc and stopped working.
I replaced them with regular dual snail horns, Farbin on Amazon, and I like them way better than the supertones. They are plenty loud and clear and they won't rust like the supertones, since they don't have the diaphragm exposed to the elements.

They easily mounted on the same brackets I had installed for the supertones.

Got some new goodies in for the Mazda5.
17x8 +30mm Cosmis Racing XT 206Rs

TOwCftV.jpeg

wViObfV.jpeg

KaJCsco.jpeg

Been kicking around wheel combos for the Mazda5 since I got it. Since the previous owner decided that they wanted to hit every single curb possible with every wheel. Each wheel is curb rashes entirely around the time and even UP the wheel in some spots. UP! No idea how they managed that.
Since the Mazda5 also has 0 options of adjusting camber, I bit the bullet and picked up a set of KSport coilovers. This will give me some adjustment for front camber. For the rear I may look into getting some of the SPC adjustable camber arms that I saw in an older thread.

HA4ZdDz.jpeg

Although, deciding to do suspension work right when summer is peaking, may have not been the smartest decision.

TOwCftV.jpeg

wViObfV.jpeg

KaJCsco.jpeg

Been kicking around wheel combos for the Mazda5 since I got it. Since the previous owner decided that they wanted to hit every single curb possible with every wheel. Each wheel is curb rashes entirely around the time and even UP the wheel in some spots. UP! No idea how they managed that.
Since the Mazda5 also has 0 options of adjusting camber, I bit the bullet and picked up a set of KSport coilovers. This will give me some adjustment for front camber. For the rear I may look into getting some of the SPC adjustable camber arms that I saw in an older thread.

HA4ZdDz.jpeg

Although, deciding to do suspension work right when summer is peaking, may have not been the smartest decision.

Nice pickups! Can't wait to see post install pics (y)

TOwCftV.jpeg

wViObfV.jpeg

KaJCsco.jpeg

HA4ZdDz.jpeg

Cool. I think you'll be the first Mz5 on KSports. How did you deicde to go with KSports instead of, say BC Racing? Hope you start a thead with more pics and measured specs for future reference. FYI, need to cut open/widen the shock tower opening to reach the camber adjustment plate.

Cool. I think you'll be the first Mz5 on KSports. How did you deicde to go with KSports instead of, say BC Racing? Hope you start a thead with more pics and measured specs for future reference. FYI, need to cut open/widen the shock tower opening to reach the camber adjustment plate.

I originally had ordered Megan Racing coilovers through Redline360 since they were on sale. But I was messaged by Redline360 after my purchase that they currently did not have them in stock and would be a 3-4 month wait to order some directly from manufacturer. I asked them which coilovers did they have in stock and could ship day of. They had Yellow Speed and KSports in their warehouse ready to ship. I went with KSports because I have a few friends in autocross and drifting that have had pretty good success with their coilovers. Granted these are just meant for daily and comfort, not gonna be doing autocross or anything.
I will probably be installing these next month after I get back from a short vacation. Also hope it cools down a bit earlier this year, but that is wishful thinking. Most likely get hotter xD

I had a gasoline leak in the engine bay. There's a rubber fuel line that starts from a hard-line fuel pipe near the firewall and it goes into the fuel rail on the engine. The plastic part on the firewall side has developed a crack and was spraying gasoline into the engine bay. Fortunately, it wasn't spraying it on the engine or other hot surface.
Not sure how it got damaged as it looked like something like an animal was chewing into the plastic. New line cost a bit over $80 at the dealership. I had just changed the ATF a couple weeks ago and didn't notice it as it wasn't leaking (running the engine while refilling the ATF via the ATF dipstick port).
First time I've had a fuel line leak with any car I've ever owned.

Today... finally got to put in LED lamps for dome and maps lights. What a difference!
Dome: DE3175WLED by Philips
Map (2): 194WLED by Philips

I tried replacing the bulb the trunk lamp (same type as dome) but that fitting's captive/switching mechanism caused the bulb to spin a few degrees with every action of the switch, and eventually the LED was facing inwards! I figured, for the amount of use it get's it was worth leaving as it was.

Previously done: New head end, new speakers, added sub, windows tint, KYB rear shocks, Hella yellow fog lamps, Yakima roof bars and box, wheel lock nuts, gas struts hood lift, thick all-weather floor mats reduce (road noise), adhesive sound deadening mat on front doors.

Last edited:
Went to Firestone this morning to get the wheels and tires mounted. I was curious about how they align the car, stock. The rear camber bolt in the middle of the rear subframe was able to get the wheels to 0.01 0.00.

Curious if Mazda from factory puts blue loctite on those bolts or the previous owner did it. Tech at Firestone had to bring out a big ratchet to break it loose to be able to adjust the rear. Only reason I think Mazda does it from factory, is the rear components all look original, and I don't see anything that looks newish that would require removing those bolts.

UHaHjoU.jpeg

PK3fVrQ.jpeg

pLJbaTW.jpeg

Jt6SWTz.jpeg

cd61RdH.jpeg

It actually sits pretty nicely with stock suspension. I still have the coilovers ready to install, but been putting it off until it cools down.

Just an oil change today. Then I ended up putting the original lower motor mount back on. The one I put on 16k miles ago was already toast.

Not my 5, but replaced the transmission control module, and transmission mount on my sister’s Mz5 today. Still technically in progress because I went ahead and threw the battery on a conditioning cycle while I was working, and that takes up to 24 hours. Also need to go grab a new air filter because hers is super dirty.

Dropped trans pan and cleaned for the first time, replaced filter. Flushed out all the old fluid from torque converter using the "pull hose off cooler and put in jug technique". I've flushed the fluid several times before but never pulled pan... if definitely needed it!

163,000 miles

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 97
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 102
Cleaned the throttle body today, and it seems like the situation with rough idling is fixed, and the throttle responsiveness is slightly better (or such is the placebo effect).

I've noticed that there's some oil in the return circuit. What do you think, does it even make sense considering installation of an oil catch can on mazda 5?

Attachments

• 1665981042624.png
    1665981042624.png
    515.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1665981072594.png
    1665981072594.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 81
Dropped trans pan and cleaned for the first time, replaced filter. Flushed out all the old fluid from torque converter using the "pull hose off cooler and put in jug technique". I've flushed the fluid several times before but never pulled pan... if definitely needed it!

163,000 miles
Not sure how long you plan to keep her running but consider adding one of these inline between the trans pump outlet and the trans cooler/temp regulator (note this will add an item with service life).

Back