2022 CX-5 Improvements

My observations as an owner of a 2019 Signature…hopefully, the following items have had major upgrades/improvements for 20+ model years or I won’t even conside a CX-5 in the future….the seats are mediocre (I’m being kind, they’re awful), the seat ventilation is near worthless (hot weather in Florida), the infotainment user interface is truly awful (worst of any car I’ve owned), the user interface screen is actually good (although small) and I do know they are larger in 2020+ models. The heated steering wheel is a joke. Only a small portion of the wheel gets heated. Luckily, this only impacts us when we do winter trips out of state. The Toyo tires (A36) are what I thought they were when I bought the car. Cheap and mediocre. New Michelins are on order. The ac blower is weak and noisy, especially when you have to crank up the blower speed. Maybe in a northern state this would suffice. The carpet is extremely cheap. It pills and snags very easy. Lastly on the negative side of things…engine reliability is iffy at best. At just 32k miles…problems are starting to show up. The good…sporty ride and the 2.5 turbo provides plenty of passing power. Visibility is good and all of the safety features work as they should. Auto braking, lane departure warning, blindsight monitoring, etc. have all worked flawlessly. Truthfully after reading all of the super positive reviews…I am a little disappointed in this top of the line product (for CX-5). Hopefully, the newer models have corrected these shortcomings. Good luck!

Lastly on the negative side of things…engine reliability is iffy at best. At just 32k miles…problems are starting to show up. The good…sporty ride and the 2.5 turbo provides plenty of passing power. Visibility is good and all of the safety features work as they should. Auto braking, lane departure warning, blindsight monitoring, etc. have all worked flawlessly. Truthfully after reading all of the super positive reviews…I am a little disappointed in this top of the line product (for CX-5). Hopefully, the newer models have corrected these shortcomings. Good luck!
What do you mean by engine reliability is iffy? Please put forth some examples.

Will agree on the HVAC blower.

What do you mean by engine reliability is iffy? Please put forth some examples.

Will agree on the HVAC blower.
What I mean by that is that I don’t have a good feeling whether the engine will last or not…hence the “iffy” comment. I have had the car in for what I thought was turbo rattle, but was told normal operation. Then I had an oil control valve gasket start leaking…which was repaired, but that caused a major oil leak so the car is back in the shop now. Something else that I did not mention previously is that both the driver and passenger outside mirror folding-in/out function failed. I apologize if you thought I was bashing the engine…I am not. But I certainly won’t sugar coat things if they go south. With the engine or dealer performance.

What I mean by that is that I don’t have a good feeling whether the engine will last or not…hence the “iffy” comment. I have had the car in for what I thought was turbo rattle, but was told normal operation. Then I had an oil control valve gasket start leaking…which was repaired, but that caused a major oil leak so the car is back in the shop now. Something else that I did not mention previously is that both the driver and passenger outside mirror folding-in/out function failed. I apologize if you thought I was bashing the engine…I am not. But I certainly won’t sugar coat things if they go south. With the engine or dealer performance.
Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. We have two (2016 & 2019) and neither one has had any problems. The only visits to the dealer are for oil/filter, tire rotation and the occasional nail in the tire.
Mirrors are a known issue, that's why I disabled mine the first day I picked up the 2019.
Don't need the folding feature.

Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. We have two (2016 & 2019) and neither one has had any problems. The only visits to the dealer are for oil/filter, tire rotation and the occasional nail in the tire.
Mirrors are a known issue, that's why I disabled mine the first day I picked up the 2019.
Don't need the folding feature.
Agreed. BTW, there is TSB that addresses the mirror issue. If you still have any 36/36 warranty left…you could ask your dealer to do the “fix”. It’d be a warranty charge so no skin off you or them.

Agreed. BTW, there is TSB that addresses the mirror issue. If you still have any 36/36 warranty left…you could ask your dealer to do the “fix”. It’d be a warranty charge so no skin off you or them.
Does the TSB actually update anything? Unobtanium had mirrors replaced over his 80k miles and they seemed to be the same design each time. If you want to hear a loud blower motor, try a Nissan Frontier. Sounds like a jet taking off at high speeds. The CX-5 is silent in comparison.

My observations as an owner of a 2019 Signature…hopefully, the following items have had major upgrades/improvements for 20+ model years or I won’t even conside a CX-5 in the future….the seats are mediocre (I’m being kind, they’re awful), the seat ventilation is near worthless (hot weather in Florida), the infotainment user interface is truly awful (worst of any car I’ve owned), the user interface screen is actually good (although small) and I do know they are larger in 2020+ models. The heated steering wheel is a joke. Only a small portion of the wheel gets heated. Luckily, this only impacts us when we do winter trips out of state. The Toyo tires (A36) are what I thought they were when I bought the car. Cheap and mediocre. New Michelins are on order. The ac blower is weak and noisy, especially when you have to crank up the blower speed. Maybe in a northern state this would suffice. The carpet is extremely cheap. It pills and snags very easy. Lastly on the negative side of things…engine reliability is iffy at best. At just 32k miles…problems are starting to show up. The good…sporty ride and the 2.5 turbo provides plenty of passing power. Visibility is good and all of the safety features work as they should. Auto braking, lane departure warning, blindsight monitoring, etc. have all worked flawlessly. Truthfully after reading all of the super positive reviews…I am a little disappointed in this top of the line product (for CX-5). Hopefully, the newer models have corrected these shortcomings. Good luck!
Agree with most of assessment.

In my 2018...
The seats are too small and tight. Some people won't ride in my CX5 because of the seats...
The AC blower sucks. Have to put it on high to cool the inside...but it's so loud, you can't hold normal conversation or hear radio. Took it in to get fixed under warranty. Dealer claimed it was cabin filter. So switched out cabin filter, still can't get car cooled and I'm in the north.
And the windshield noise is super loud as well only too be drowned out by the AC.

Other than those 3 things, the vehicle drives great and handles well and gets 37 mpg highway.

Back