2017~2024 Major Oil Leak after Dealer replaced Valve Cover…Help and/or Follow Along

As the title states…my Mazda Dealer replaced the valve cover assembly on my 2019 CX-5 Signature last week (6/28/22). I noticed some oil on top of the (driver side) valve cover when I got home and wiped it off with a rag. I chalked it up to sloppy work by the technician. After I drove the car a couple of days later, I popped off the engine cover to check if there actually was a leak or if it was just oil from a sloppy valve cover installation. Unfortunately it was a fairly major oil leak. I’ll attach pictures below…and the car is back at the Dealer (7/2/22) to assess what went wrong and what they need to do in order to fix the problem. I started this thread to see if anyone has any ideas as to what might have gone wrong with the valve cover swap…and to let everyone (that is interested) know what ends up being done to correct the problem. My first thought was that maybe they failed to install the center gasket? Thanks for any help/comments…

Attachments

• FE53A899-74C9-4FB5-9195-FCFE00930C28.jpeg
    FE53A899-74C9-4FB5-9195-FCFE00930C28.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 209
  • B32BFBE7-A53C-4EC2-8A45-C9BC0512B96A.jpeg
    B32BFBE7-A53C-4EC2-8A45-C9BC0512B96A.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 202
  • F3B14C2D-361D-4D3D-AF45-64D633B4B4A0.jpeg
    F3B14C2D-361D-4D3D-AF45-64D633B4B4A0.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 193
  • B193D08F-597B-40C5-8C2F-9476315261CB.jpeg
    B193D08F-597B-40C5-8C2F-9476315261CB.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 188
  • F234D8FF-BDE6-42D3-9ED8-D25CBFEB0148.jpeg
    F234D8FF-BDE6-42D3-9ED8-D25CBFEB0148.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 202
Curious what was the reason of the replacement in the first place?
The Oil Control Valve seal/gasket was leaking. Originally the Dealer informed me that they were going to replace the seal and the valve cover gaskets…but they ended up replacing the entire valve cover and gaskets instead. Now the leak is 20x what it was…

Sorry this happened OP. Definite dealer backwards job. I wish the dealers would just give us the parts for any warranty work and I'll do myself knowing it's done correctly. Incompetence is it all the rage today.

There are 4 areas on a valve cover gasket that IMHO must have sealer and not just the gasket alone.
MAZDA valve covers went through a manufacturing phase that some had a tendency to warp. Not suggesting that you valve cover did! I am not aware of any *TSBs but MAZDA did correct the problem with a newer valve cover design.
MY "guess" and only a guess is that the dealer service tech followed the FSM and, on your model, there may have been no indication needing sealer in some areas of the valve cover. In this case I don't really see it was a sloppy service and I know that that dealership will take care of you!
Sorry at home today and can't log into my *ALL-Data account to confirm the service procedure for your exact model MAZDA.

Sorry this happened OP. Definite dealer backwards job. I wish the dealers would just give us the parts for any warranty work and I'll do myself knowing it's done correctly. Incompetence is it all the rage today.
Ya unfortunately because of WARRANTY coverage most manufactures DONT allow DIY and even some independent service shops to do warranty parts service. I am likely more experienced than most any dealership techs with 38 years ASE and also as many L1 & L2 certifications and MAZDA is not allowing my recall on a BCM that I replaced canceled on the recall!! The BCM took 5 minutes documented with a video to replace. LOL

And really, I would not be so quick to assume the service was a "backwards" job. This goes back to my last responses. But if you have information that indicates the factory service was not followed that would be different!

MY "guess" and only a guess is that the dealer service tech followed the FSM and, on your model, there may have been no indication needing sealer in some areas of the valve cover ...
That's not something that anyone who has done even just a couple of these jobs would need a manual for. If sealant is needed, then it was applied during assembly at the factory, and there will be residue from the old sealant present at the mating surfaces of the locations that it had been applied previously. Yes, use the manual to confirm what the residue is indicating, but only someone who is incompetent will not understand that it's required.

... In this case I don't really see it was a sloppy service ....
A basic step for any gasket job like this one is to completely examine the entire mating surface for even the slightest bit of wetness, with the vehicle having been completely warmed up. Given the amount of oil in the posted pics, IMO there is no possible way the tech checked his/her work properly, because leaking like this would have showed up somewhere immediately, if they had been looking for it.

So they should have identified that it was leaking before it left the shop (regardless of the cause) and do it over again as many times as necessary, in order to get it done right.

As others have already noted previously, crap work.

As the title states…my Mazda Dealer replaced the valve cover assembly on my 2019 CX-5 Signature last week (6/28/22). I noticed some oil on top of the (driver side) valve cover when I got home and wiped it off with a rag.
I went and took some pictures for you. I have a couple of spare valve cover s one is warped very bad. The other I place post-its where I personally place sealer. The recommended seal should be one of the 2 I posted. Most of the time I prefer the grey over the blue. Color preference really :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_094435177_2.jpg
    IMG_20220703_094435177_2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220703_094616582_2.jpg
    IMG_20220703_094616582_2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220703_094802865_2.jpg
    IMG_20220703_094802865_2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20220703_094820940_2.jpg
    IMG_20220703_094820940_2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 107
That's not something that anyone who has done even just a couple of these jobs would need a manual for. If sealant is needed, then it was applied during assembly at the factory, and there will be residue from the old sealant present at the mating surfaces of the locations that it had been applied previously. Yes, use the manual to confirm what the residue is indicating, but only someone who is incompetent will not understand that it's required.

A basic step for any gasket job like this one is to completely examine the entire mating surface for even the slightest bit of wetness, with the vehicle having been completely warmed up. Given the amount of oil in the posted pics, IMO there is no possible way the tech checked his/her work properly, because leaking like this would have showed up somewhere immediately, if they had been looking for it.

So they should have identified that it was leaking before it left the shop (regardless of the cause) and do it over again as many times as necessary, in order to get it done right.

As others have already noted previously, crap work.
Always that one member that..... ^^ :rolleyes:
LOL maybe you should write a service manual and be sure to get it signed off with an ASE before publishing it. Or maybe you should work as a mechanic or auto Technician for at least a decade before ASSUMING things without all the facts first. (This is IMHO based on reading response from you on various threads) :eek:

It might interest you to know that in the last 20 years there has been several updates for auto manufacture as well TSB about valve cover service procedures. In my shop I ALWAYS look for them before assigning any tech or mechanic to perform a service. As a backup I also print the factory procedure from ALL Data and give it to the Tech just so he/she can review it to be sure that they are doing it with the most current information. Sheeeeet changes all the time regarding procedures.
I might also add that those leaks may have been and could have been overlooked without a test drive of a few miles or more. Not many service shop do that.

So IMHO really before you start ripping on peoples work get all your facts up front!

Last edited:
Regardless of what happened, it should have been caught before the vehicle left the dealership.

It's been 20 years since I replaced a valve cover gasket but when I did, I made sure the gasket was in place and didn't twist, made sure not to over torque, let the car run for 30 minutes at idle checking every 10 min for leaks... Took for short test drive and double-checked my work. While there could be other reasons for the leak, the dealership should have had the vehicle idling while they were working on other vehicles, and should have test drove and rechecked for leaks. While accidents happen, there is no excuse for letting a vehicle leave the dealership like that .

That's as bad as the dealership that installed my driveaxle, I drove down road and all the transmission fluid leaked out. Had to have it towed back to dealership (at my cost), then I watched a tech uninstalled everything, I grabbed the gasket that fell out, it was bent and had puncture marks on it from where they had hammered it in with a hole punch.

Last edited:
Regardless of what happened, it should have been caught before the vehicle left the dealership.

It's been 20 years since I replaced a valve cover gasket but when I did, I made sure the gasket was in place and didn't twist, made sure not to over torque, let the car run for 30minutes at idle checking every 10 infor leaks... Took for short test drive and double-checked my work. The dealership could have had the vehicle idling while they were working on other vehicles, and should have test drove the rechecked for leaks. While accidents happen, there is no excuse for leaving a vehicle leave the dealership like that . The year prior, I had installed the other driveaxle, and pounded the gasket in with a socket that fit the gasket and a mallet. So I was upset that the dealership tech installed incorrectly, the only thing they did was do the fix for free . I still had to pay for the tow.

Thanks for the replies and information guys. Much appreciated. After considering your input, I believe the tech either installed the valve cover with the gasket twisted or sealant was not used where needed. Or, since they installed a new valve cover…there is the potential that the new part was warped. Hopefully I will hear something on Tuesday and they will get the issue resolved. Thanks again and I’ll post an update when I get my vehicle back.

It's been 20 years since I replaced a valve cover gasket but when I did, I made sure the gasket was in place and didn't twist, made sure not to over torque,
I would really like to see if you can twist a 2.0 or 2.5 Skyactiv engine valve cover seal and try to install it. ;)
And considering the type of valve covers and engine 20 years ago you may not have the experience yet giving advice on the MAZDA Skyactiv engine?
Honestly DIY often will do things differently when it concerns their own cars.
I will admit that a majority of DIY will take extra care and cautions "most of the times" that is not practical to do in most shops. In this case I am confident that it was a simple oversight that may not have been caught even with a visual and short road test from my understanding reading the first post and looking at the pictures.

Give the dealership at least a chance to correct the problem and maybe an explanation.

They've been having leak problems with the OCV for years, had it done on my '14. It's not an easy thing to replace. Looks like one of their "certified" techs did it. Ask for a Master tech to rectify the problem. That's just a crime what happened to you.

They've been having leak problems with the OCV for years, had it done on my '14. It's not an easy thing to replace. Looks like one of their "certified" techs did it. Ask for a Master tech to rectify the problem. That's just a crime what happened to you.
Um did you read the first post. Or any of my posts? The OP has a 2019 . MAZDA changed the valve cover design that reenforces the area that was a small problem with previous engine. :rolleyes:
Do you even know the difference between a "certified" techs and a Master tech? If you truly did you may not have posted your comment. ;)
I really like how from the picture you can tell from the OPs post and pictures who in the dealership service depart did the service. now that is truly funny!!
Besides some work is not so technical that is requires either one. Changes a valve cover seal requires NO certification in any Auto manufacture requirement to become a factory Technician. Nor is it any ASE requirements to pass the test to become an ASE Technician or mechanic!
Funny so many are so quick to blame a dealer until something goes wrong with your own MAZDA and if you are honest with at least yourself many choose to go to the dealer. :LOL:

For other who are genuinely curious and MR madar go look at the first picture I posed of the edge of a MAZDA valve cover and then go look at your valve cover in that same area. :cool:
I would post yet another picture but in this case I would rather you all go see for your own. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and information guys. Much appreciated. After considering your input, I believe the tech either installed the valve cover with the gasket twisted or sealant was not used where needed. Or, since they installed a new valve cover…there is the potential that the new part was warped. Hopefully I will hear something on Tuesday and they will get the issue resolved. Thanks again and I’ll post an update when I get my vehicle back.

Your thread IMHO has come to a conclusion of theories and I truly hope you get your MAZDA fixed up and the problem taken care of to a positive resolve with the dealership!
Please return and let us all know how it went.
Good Luck!

Your thread IMHO has come to a conclusion of theories and I truly hope you get your MAZDA fixed up and the problem taken care of to a positive resolve with the dealership!
Please return and let us all know how it went.
Good Luck!
Thanks Tribe. I’ve been on many auto forums (Team Chevelle, Porsche 996, Corvette C6 & C7, Jeep Wrangler, VW GTI, and now Mazda CX-5) and while I have plenty of DIY experience, it doesn’t compare to the collective insight and experience I find on the forums. I come here to learn and try and contribute when I can. That said, I certainly didn’t intend nor want folks with differing thoughts, opinions, or insight to get crosswise with each other. Heck, I’m an old retired guy these days and know I can learn from anyone. And yes, I will post an update later this week (hopefully)!

Back