2016.5 CX-5 electronic parking brake damage?

I accidentally pulled the electronic parking brake (EPB) on my 2016.5 Grand Touring while at approx 30mph...there was a some noise - obviously - and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Since then EPB still works but the right and left rear brakes seem to operate at a different speed when I disengage the brake from a stop so something has been affected. What would be the most likely type of damage that could have occurred? Is there any way of checking this myself before taking into a shop for a check up?

Thanks,

I think it's unlikely that anything related to the EPB itself would have been damaged. The most obvious suspect for the symptoms you described would be a brake maintenance issue, particularly caliper slider pins which have become basically immobile, due to lack of lubrication. So that's the first thing that needs to be evaluated.

Next, if the brake maintenance has been properly taken care of, there's been a history of dragging calipers on that model year (including a TSB). And it might be possible that applying the EPB while driving caused that dragging condition to kick in on yours.

If it's possible for you to do so safely, you can try a rolling stop test. Drive a mile or so from a cold start, and don't apply the brakes at all. Let it come to a stop on its own, and once it's stopped you can apply the brake and put it in park. Get out and check to see if any of the brakes (especially the rear) have heated up at all.

But if you can't do that test safely where you live, then you could try jacking up the rear end and turning the wheels by hand. Apply the regular and EPB, then release them a few times to see if either or both wheels become less free to turn as a result of applying the brakes.

Upvote 0
I think it's unlikely that anything related to the EPB itself would have been damaged. The most obvious suspect for the symptoms you described would be a brake maintenance issue, particularly caliper slider pins which have become basically immobile, due to lack of lubrication. So that's the first thing that needs to be evaluated.

Next, if the brake maintenance has been properly taken care of, there's been a history of dragging calipers on that model year (including a TSB). And it might be possible that applying the EPB while driving caused that dragging condition to kick in on yours.

If it's possible for you to do so safely, you can try a rolling stop test. Drive a mile or so from a cold start, and don't apply the brakes at all. Let it come to a stop on its own, and once it's stopped you can apply the brake and put it in park. Get out and check to see if any of the brakes (especially the rear) have heated up at all.

But if you can't do that test safely where you live, then you could try jacking up the rear end and turning the wheels by hand. Apply the regular and EPB, then release them a few times to see if either or both wheels become less free to turn as a result of applying the brakes.
Very grateful for you taking the time to respond.....today I engaged the EPB maintenance mode as a test which seems to helped. Both the left and right brakes appear to be disengaging at the the same time!

Upvote 0
.....today I engaged the EPB maintenance mode as a test which seems to helped. ...
Well, for whatever reason, it didn't occur to me to suggest that most simple of things to try, so good for you that you tried it anyway and got the problem sorted out!

Upvote 0
I accidentally pulled the electronic parking brake (EPB) on my 2016.5 Grand Touring while at approx 30mph...there was a some noise - obviously - and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Since then EPB still works but the right and left rear brakes seem to operate at a different speed when I disengage the brake from a stop so something has been affected. What would be the most likely type of damage that could have occurred? Is there any way of checking this myself before taking into a shop for a check up?

Thanks,
Just want to clarify, you can pull the EPB switch any time even if the car is moving as the EPB is designed just like the old mechanic hand brake. In the emergency situation when the main brake is failing, you can pull up the EPB switch up and keep it there, it'll apply the brake at the rear, just like the old mechanical hand brake. See Owner's Manual for more details on EPB.

Upvote 0
Well, for whatever reason, it didn't occur to me to suggest that most simple of things to try, so good for you that you tried it anyway and got the problem sorted out!
I believe your suggestion is legit. OP's 2016.5 CX-5 most likely has the original problematic rear disk calipers mentioned in the TSB. To me OP's EPB shouldn't have the symptom he had experienced after activating the EPB while the CX-5 was moving. He just got lucky after activating the EPB Maintenance Mode and have "temporarily" fixed the issue. OP actually should consider replacing his problematic original rear calipers with revised version for safety reason if he plans to keep his CX-5 for a while.

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Upvote 0
.... To me OP's EPB shouldn't have the symptom he had experienced after activating the EPB while the CX-5 was moving. He just got lucky after activating the EPB Maintenance Mode and have "temporarily" fixed the issue. ...
Yes, you could very well be correct about that. Who knows, perhaps the OP may wander back here one day soon and post that exact thing having taken place.

Upvote 0
Back