Is Ceramic paste the best anti-seize for wheel hubs?

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
So have used wheel bearing grease for most of my life in the past (which gets messy once heated up and runs ugly burnt yellowish on rims), and used copper antiseize which has worked great on other vehicle. Have also used painted/coated rotors which helped.

However, its sounds like now they say not to use copper anti-sieze because it is conductive and can affect brake sensors, etc. With all the sensors on this 2018 cx5 don't want to create any problems.

So am looking at using either a ceramic antisieze paste, fluid film or acf 50 on the rotor hat and wheel hub.

Does anyone have any experience with the ceramic paste or any of the above for preventing corrosion/rust on the hub?

Or any other suggestions for least messy, least conductive, least problematic antisieze on the brake hat/wheel hub?

I just use aluminum anti-seize on mine (though I would think copper would be fine too). You only need a thin spread and I have never seen any 'oozing'. In any case, the wheel sensors are sealed hall-effect (magnetic sensing) sensors, and you could paint them with anti-seize without any effect.

Upvote 0
Ok. While out and about ran into a old timer gentleman that was cruising in his classic. Got to talking while waiting in line... And mentioned my problem.

Been doing it wrong all these years... Hub grease and copper paste...all wrong.

He said to use parchment paper.
I was like won't that just melt. He said his wife bakes cookies on it all the time... Hasn't had one melt yet. Just dabs some hub grease on it and sticks it between the rotor and wheel.

Problem solved for pennies and no mess.
So simple, no conductivity to mess with the sensors, no messy paste, heat resistant, cheap and safe and will keep metal from reacting /corroding each other.

As soon as get my powder-coated rims back, will be trying the parchment.

Still buying the ceramic anti-sieze for bolts. Gonna use that instead of copper.

Oh and he did say you can't race with it though. He said track cars will heat up too much. But should be fine on my daily driver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just use a very thin coat of Permatex AL antiseze. If you have a problem with oozing, then you are using way too much.

Upvote 0
I just use a very thin coat of Permatex AL antiseze. If you have a problem with oozing, then you are using way too much
Thanks ER. Aluminum was on my list of possibles.

It was the bearing grease that used to thin and go all over the place in the old days.

With the antisieze paste, was concerned with conducting electricity and messing with the sensors or arcing even if a thin layer. So was considering switching from the copper to ceramic paste. Ceramic has no conductivity and is also less hazardous as a bonus.

However, the parchment paper sounds like the new go in order to separate the rotor from the wheel hub and then might spread some ceramic paste around the center-bore.

Gonna try it. Will report back the results including if it melted it or not. I don't think brakes on a DD will get hotter than the 450° F of the parchment paper. As a comparison bearing grease, even if it thins is rated @ 520 ° F and the Permatex ceramic is rated between -40 ° F and 3000 ° F

Can't wait to get the new wheels on with parchment paper sandwich and see the results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the antisieze paste, was concerned with conducting electricity and messing with the sensors or arcing even if a thin layer. So was considering switching from the copper to ceramic paste. Ceramic has no conductivity and is also less hazardous as a bonus.

... again:

the wheel sensors are sealed hall-effect (magnetic sensing) sensors, and you could paint them with anti-seize without any effect.

Upvote 0
Back