2019 CX-5 AWD Chirps when shifting into 3rd gear

My 2019 CX-5 Touring Sport Edition has developed a CHIRP when the automatic transmission shifts into 3rd gear. Developed this chirp in the last month or so. Currently has about 50,000 miles on it. Hard to tell where exactly it's coming from, possibly from the back. No other gear, speed does not matter. Ideas??

Chirp as in the tire or something mechanical. Do you have AWD?
Does it happen at WOT or light throttle or both?

It’s possibly a issue with transmission/ rear diff if you have AWD.

Are your tires bald? If not and you’re not accelerating/cornering aggressively then something is up with your transmission.

You can get it on video just in case you can’t reproduce at the dealership. Maybe borrow a go pro that attaches to the the car via mount as it’s more audible outside the car.

Any update or resolution on this? My 2020 cx5 grand touring has started doing the exact same thing. It seems to happen more often when it’s a light acceleration but it still happens when I gun it just less frequently.

Registered to say if you look up "CX-5 transmission chirp" on Google, you'll find at least 5 Reddit threads talking about the same thing. Ours was a 2019 Touring with 30k miles and we were just able to get it replaced under warranty.

Would recommend taking it to a dealer under "transmission issue" but try to pick a dealer that has strong reviews and actually wants to be helpful. Certain dealers wanted to charge a diagnostic fee whereas the one we ended up at were completely hassle free and said the diagnostic itself would be covered under powertrain warranty. Hope this helps!

Better have it fixed before powertrain warranty expires...
At least, have the problem on record first. Mazda's record.
Transmission costs a ton of coins.. :confused:

Chirping at a shift can be trans fluid contamination--typically water or coolant (from the trans fluid heat exchanger).

My 2020 AWD has this chirp when the transmission shifts, was just occasional initially but is occurring fairly frequently now. Sound is subtle, would not associate with transmission except that it only occurs when the transmission shifts. Car is coming up on 50000 miles so want to address with dealer before end of warranty. Hopefully they will be able to reproduce the issue.

I took the CX5 to dealer today for the transmission chirp sounds and occasional rough shifts. They were able to reproduce the problem. They then checked the ATF, said the level was OK and there were no contaminants. Next they performed an update to the TCM software. They said this seemed to fix the problem but when I drove it home the chirps were still present though the shifting seemed a little smoother. The next step is to leave it with them for further diagnosis and conversations with Mazda NA, this will be done next week when they have a loaner available for me. I'll update again when I know more.

Driving 2023 CX5 loaner made me realize how crappy the shifting is in my 2020. Wow. Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me on what they propose to do about it.

Ask if they'll update the PCM and TCM software
TCM has been updated from Rev D to Rev H. I don't know about the PCM. Everything is being done per Mazda corporate, latest update from dealer is that Mazda is aware of some vehicles with this issue, next step is to send them a video that captures the chirp sound, dealer is going to do this.

Update from dealer: Mazda is going to replace the transmission, eta for getting a new (reman) one is about 2 months out. Ugh, have a long road trip planned in the interim, not sure how we will handle that. Car is probably ok to drive but would hate to get stranded somewhere.

Update from dealer: They have transmission in house and my car should be repaired early next week. So what was a 2 month estimate to get the new transmission actually took less than 2 weeks. Good news.

Dealer called yesterday, car was ready and I picked it up in the afternoon. Very happy that it only took two weeks to repair and not two months as originally projected. The chirp noise is gone and the transmission shifts smoothly, like new. Hopefully this is my last post on this issue.

Back