How to Turn Off Automatic Braking?

This "safety" feature almost got me rear-ended by a truck last night. How do you permanently disable this option, I thought I did it correctly after almost the 10th time it happened in the few months I've had this car from the settings but it keeps turning itself back on. Dealer won't touch safety features, is there a hack to disable the radar/laser, pull a fuse, etc..?

I scroll thru menus and turn it off each and every time I get in the car. What a pain. I don't know if there is any way to turn it off permanently but I'm actively working to get a copy of the IDS/MDARS software that the dealers use to see if it can be done. This is a "feature" that was not ready for prime-time and should never have been released.

At least you guys with the newer cars have the option. My ‘19 doesn’t have the option to disable and it’s constantly being triggered in heavy NYC traffic or if someone is turning right but car thinks I will hit it.

If you're not following the person in front of you too close and this is happening, it needs to be recalibrated. Especially, if it's happened 10x to you. That is not normal.

Thanks for the replies. This happens whenever someone is making a right hand turn, yes do I come too close sometimes sure, but I live in a heavily congested area and something can't be correct here, this thing slams the brakes so hard I've been honked at multiple times but the last draw was a freaking 18 wheeler almost slamming me. Love this car and I drive a lot for work but this feature has to go somehow.

I've never had the brakes engage, but I have seen the message on the HUD. I'm still thinking yours may be out of cal.

I think there was a sensitivity option in the infotainment . near, medium and far if I recall.
May be worth exploring.

Yes, you can set the sensitivity of the safety feature to "Near" to give yourself more of a buffer. If that still isn't good enough, you can take it to the dealer and ask them to recalibrate the system. Request a service tech to go on a ride along with you so they can see the issue firsthand. If they agree, they'll recalibrate, but if not, you'll probably be out of luck.

I can't speak much to permanently disabling the feature. If you are willing to disable it yourself, you should make yourself aware of the potential consequences and legal mess you'd be diving into in the event of a collision.

I think there was a sensitivity option in the infotainment . near, medium and far if I recall.
May be worth exploring.
I've tried the three settings; if there is any difference between them it's not very significant. If I don't turn the automatic braking off (found under Safety/Collision Avoidance in the Settings menu) the system will slam the brakes on as hard as they can be slammed as soon as the car in front of me takes a turn. It's been this way since new; dealer says it's normal. I've seen the same complaint on other automakers forums; it's not just a Mazda issue.

Grant it, if I drove like my 96 year old mother, it would probably never happen, but after 46 years of driving and never have rear-ended anyone, I'm not about to change the way I drive for a poorly engineered "safety" feature.

I've tried the three settings; if there is any difference between them it's not very significant. If I don't turn the automatic braking off (found under Safety/Collision Avoidance in the Settings menu) the system will slam the brakes on as hard as they can be slammed as soon as the car in front of me takes a turn. It's been this way since new; dealer says it's normal. I've seen the same complaint on other automakers forums; it's not just a Mazda issue.

Grant it, if I drove like my 96 year old mother, it would probably never happen, but after 46 years of driving and never have rear-ended anyone, I'm not about to change the way I drive for a poorly engineered "safety" feature.
I am far from driving like an old lady, so unless you're a tailgater, something's wrong. Have you personally driven another CX-5 to see if it acts the same?

I’m certain that the OP’s CX braking as described is not normal. Was his windshield or grill ever replaced? What year is his CX? Regardless he needs to head to the dealer.

The first thing I do when I rent a vehicle is to turn off everything that screams warnings at you. Makes driving civil again.

May be worth exploring.
There is also an alarm with volume settings and an on/off setting. Try turning it on. If the alarm goes off and you hit the brake soon enough the auto braking will not engage. Assuming the vehicle is properly calibrated, if your reaction time after the alarm is not fast enough to avoid emergency braking then you're probably driving too aggressively for your following distance.

If you put a slight bit of pressure on the accelerator pedal, it won't (not supposed to afaik) slam the brakes for you.

I think your system is operating as designed it's just your urban jungle environment driving style doesn't jive with it. (Not judging your driving style, I live in the midwest corn and bean fields ... I'd be scared to drive in NY City lol 😊)

Tell me if this is a good description of the scenario that you experience all the time ...

You're driving along in traffic and the car ahead is making a right turn. You've got it all timed out, maybe even easing to the left portion of your lane a little to pass by the turning car. It may still be in your travel lane slightly as you go by but the car ahead is still turning so all is good. You've done it a thousand times. No issues. Your timing is great (46 years of driving without hitting anyone is proof enough for me!) When this scenario is happening, I imagine you are slightly on the brakes making the final small corrections to your timing and also ready to stop if things turn sour for some reason as you go on by the turning car. But now, with this Mazda, in this situation, it goes nuts with it's fast high pitched beep beep beep and rapidly flashing BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE then slams on the brakes for you. Saving you from yourself.

The problem (IMHO) is the simple system on the Mazda (and other cars as well) doesn't have the intuition of 46 years of driving experience like you do to assume the car ahead is going to continue to turn. It's simple computer box is just calculating speed and distance (and it wants to have the whole entire lane clear to pass by as well) and coming up with an answer that equals COLLISION! and responds accordingly by slamming the brakes full on.

You can simply press on the accelerator slightly in those situations and it won't slam the brakes on. That "overrides " the safety system.

Yes, you can set the sensitivity of the safety feature to "Near" to give yourself more of a buffer. If that still isn't good enough, you can take it to the dealer and ask them to recalibrate the system. Request a service tech to go on a ride along with you so they can see the issue firsthand. If they agree, they'll recalibrate, but if not, you'll probably be out of luck.

I can't speak much to permanently disabling the feature. If you are willing to disable it yourself, you should make yourself aware of the potential consequences and legal mess you'd be diving into in the event of a collision.
After a car cut in front of me and caused the auto brake to stop on a dime, the car behind all most rear ended me as well. Based on one of the forum members, I think it might have been you Smike, I turned the sensitivity down and haven't had any issues since. If you are still having issues after adjusting for the sensitivity, you may want to modify your driving habits because it means you are most likely driving too close.

It's your car but if you rear-ended someone and it is found you turned of or bypass the safety system, you could face lawsuit , and possible legal violations especially if their is loss of life or limb and or major injury.

Better to go just get an older beater car from pre 2010 to drive around in if you don't want the safety system.

Last edited:
If you put a slight bit of pressure on the accelerator pedal, it won't (not supposed to afaik) slam the brakes for you.

I think your system is operating as designed it's just your urban jungle environment driving style doesn't jive with it. (Not judging your driving style, I live in the midwest corn and bean fields ... I'd be scared to drive in NY City lol 😊)

Tell me if this is a good description of the scenario that you experience all the time ...

You're driving along in traffic and the car ahead is making a right turn. You've got it all timed out, maybe even easing to the left portion of your lane a little to pass by the turning car. It may still be in your travel lane slightly as you go by but the car ahead is still turning so all is good. You've done it a thousand times. No issues. Your timing is great (46 years of driving without hitting anyone is proof enough for me!) When this scenario is happening, I imagine you are slightly on the brakes making the final small corrections to your timing and also ready to stop if things turn sour for some reason as you go on by the turning car. But now, with this Mazda, in this situation, it goes nuts with it's fast high pitched beep beep beep and rapidly flashing BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE then slams on the brakes for you. Saving you from yourself.

The problem (IMHO) is the simple system on the Mazda (and other cars as well) doesn't have the intuition of 46 years of driving experience like you do to assume the car ahead is going to continue to turn. It's simple computer box is just calculating speed and distance (and it wants to have the whole entire lane clear to pass by as well) and coming up with an answer that equals COLLISION! and responds accordingly by slamming the brakes full on.

You can simply press on the accelerator slightly in those situations and it won't slam the brakes on. That "overrides " the safety system.
I agree with this. One has to realize there are a lot of older people(in their 80's) still driving who actually almost do come to an almost complete( slow as Moses) stop as they are turning. I would say the safety system may be a little too sensitive (which can be adjusted) but that it is working just fine.

The reality is there are alot of over 80 driver's from the Baby boomer generation on the road who sometimes do almost come to a complete stop as they are turning. After I adjusted the sensitivity, the car is working fine. If you are still having issues, you may want to look at adjusting you driving style. You say the computer brakes the car cause it anticipates( that the car in front of you is stopping(instead of turning) where as you keep driving. In your scenario, what if the car stopped ? Or a pedestrian was in the road? Would you keep driving anticipating the pedestrian would get out of the lane? I think the system is working fine and like it should, albeit after adjustments. Try the least sensitive adjustment and drive it for awhile. If it's still bothering you, you may want to grab an older car pre 2010( or whenever these systems weren't in cars)

Last edited:
I've never had the brakes engage, but I have seen the message on the HUD. I'm still thinking yours may be out of cal.
Same here.

Same here, HUD display but never had the brakes engage automatically. I do tap the brakes when i get the display, maybe that turns off the autobraking also? I also go back on the gas slightly as soon as i can tell it's just a car turning right.

That is a very good description of what happens. I have read that pressing on the accelerator or the brake prior to the automatic braking taking affect will prevent the slamming on of the brakes. I think the problem with that is that it's just not really an intuitive thing to do at that moment. Like you say, it's a simple system that is only capable of looking at what could happen if neither vehicle alters its course.

Back