Seat moving back when I open the door (2019 CX-5)

Hi. In Mazda CX5 2019 GT- As soon as I open the door seat goes all the way back and tilts drastically towards the rear seat. Is there a way to limit this movement?

Reset the seat to the proper position then use the buttons on the seat to set the position.
If there's only one driver set both (1 & 2) to the same setting. Hold the set button then press the 1.
Repeat the process for #2.
If it continues to do it after the above then there's something wrong with the seat controls.
Might try disconnecting the negative term on the battery for a few minutes and see if that fixes it.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will check it. When I press 1 or 2 it goes back to the saved position but it is the moment that I open the door (after unlocking it) that the seat moves back, as if it is an option for ease of entrance but it basically hits passengers on the rear seat.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will check it. When I press 1 or 2 it goes back to the saved position but it is the moment that I open the door (after unlocking it) that the seat moves back, as if it is an option for ease of entrance but it basically hits passengers on the rear seat.
I have a 19 GTR and mine does not do that so something must be wrong.
You can try disconnecting the battery and hopefully that will do a reset or if your warranty is still active take it to the dealer. Disconnecting battery will probably lose all your radio pre-sets.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is programmed to got to a preset position when you open the door when unlocked with the fob. This is designed so that if there are 2 drivers and each has their own fob, the seat automatically moves to that preset (1 or2) depending which fob was used to unlock the door. Read very carefully, it's easy to miss a step. After programming the seat, you can then to sync it with the key fob - or not. To program it to a fob, I believe the last step is to press the unlock button on the fob until you hear a single beep.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is programmed to got to a preset position when you open the door when unlocked with the fob. This is designed so that if there are 2 drivers and each has their own fob, the seat automatically moves to that preset (1 or2) depending which fob was used to unlock the door. Read very carefully, it's easy to miss a step. After programming the seat, you can then to sync it with the key fob - or not. To program it to a fob, I believe the last step is to press the unlock button on the fob until you hear a single beep.

Easy way to check this would be to exit the vehicle, don't lock it then re-open the driver's door and see if the seat moves. If not it's set to the FOB. If it is then reprogram it with the instructions in the link.

Upvote 0

It's this^^

I programed 1 fob, mine, to align with memory "2". When I unlock the door and then open it, the seat moves to position "2". I did not program my wife's fob, but memory "1" is set to her position. The seat does not move when she unlocks the door and opens it.

Upvote 0
I didn’t experience the problem you mentioned.

What I did was use only 1 key fob. I set it to move the seat all the way back to make it easier to enter then press the 2 button on the seat for my normal seating position. Then press one to make it easier to exit the car.
I have back problems.

Upvote 0
Was this ever resolved, khashp?

I've had the same issue as OP for several months. For me, it seems to only happen after the car has sat overnight. On days when I have to run errands, it happens the first time. Then, throughout the day, it does not happen.

* I know how to program each seat button.
* I know how to program each key fob.
* I've changed the batteries in both key fobs.
* I've changed the battery in the car/engine.
* I've checked the 30-amp fuses, and they are fine.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks, all.

Upvote 0
Was this ever resolved, khashp?

I've had the same issue as OP for several months. For me, it seems to only happen after the car has sat overnight. On days when I have to run errands, it happens the first time. Then, throughout the day, it does not happen.

* I know how to program each seat button.
* I know how to program each key fob.
* I've changed the batteries in both key fobs.
* I've changed the battery in the car/engine.
* I've checked the 30-amp fuses, and they are fine.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks, all.
Here’s another report on the same behavior. Unfortunately there’s no solution been reported yet.

OK, so three times this week, when I unlocked my CX-5 and got in, all of my driver's seat memory settings were correct, except the drivers seat was way back towards the rear like an Easy Entry seat function.

For those of you who aren't bored of this discussion by now, I figured out the sequence. Here's the deal:

From a locked state, if I unlock all the doors of my car, either with a double press of the Unlock button on the key fob, or with a double press of the button on the Driver's door, then open the *rear* door first, when I open the Driver's door, the Driver's seat will move back without changing any other seat settings.

This is 100% repeatable on my car, as I tried it around 10 times, with various combinations of using the fob or door button to lock or unlock the car. I will further investigate if it happens regardless of which door other than the driver's door I open first.

Whether this is intentional and whether there is some inscrutable logic to it, I don't yet know. Maybe it is to insure your rear seat passenger is seated before the seat moves back? Maybe it is to insure any rear seat passenger gets their legs squished...

Its' origin and purpose still a total mystery (bonus points if you can identify what movie that phrase is from without Googling it).

Do other CX-5's with seat memory do this? I don't know--try it and see...

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info. I will print it and take it with me to my dealer tomorrow morning.
I'll update this post when I get back.

[skeptical me doesn't think they'll have an answer. 🤞]

Upvote 0
I have an answer. I have a 2023 Premium and noticed this immediatly - and wanted to stop it . Having the seat move every time I get in is absurd . I worry about it taxing the motor and system over time and want the SOB to stay put .
This is a common feature on some luxury cars - Benz etc where the seat moves back to facilitate entry and then returns to the correct position. I personally would rip 80% of the electric garbage off this car if I could -,but thats another story.
I found that not locking the car , say in my garage - stopped it from occuring . However when out in public , I lock it and it happens - So somewhere I got the answer-but forget where -
Once the seat is programmed for a position- then chose a remote that you will use - simeoultaneously push #1 and unlock one time . Then when you unlock the car - hit unlock 1 time ( if you are using #2 its the same step ) - get in and if you need other doors open , use the door switch- it then wont move .
If you find another fix - please post it .
Mazda is in my opinion taking this computer stuff to far / its confounding and my workup to prepare for a drive is longer than preparation checklist on my Cessna 172 - im looking for someone factory trained to shut a long list of stuff off permanantly #1. is DRLs - a majorly idiotic feature - which often has people driving at night without regular headlights snd no running lights on because the DRLs trick you into thinking the headlights are on - after all they are called " Daytime running lights " and should have a night sensor that shuts them off so you must use headlights - ( yes off topic rant )

I hope this works - as you have a 2019 and mine is 2023 - so....we shall see !
Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The dealership did not find any issues (electrical, software, or settings.)
I have to video my car every morning to 'catch it' doing it, so they can submit it Mazda.

Upvote 0
I have an answer.

Once the seat is programmed for a position- then choose a remote that you will use - simultaneously, push #1 and unlock one time .

Then when you unlock the car - hit unlock 1 time - get in and if you need other doors open , use the door switch- it then wont move .
Dang! Thanks for sharing this. I'll play around with mine, and see if it works.

Well done, to find a fix and share it.

Upvote 0
Back