MPG and side window wind deflectors

speedbird1

2019 CX-5 2.2D, GT Sport, Nav + AWD
I'll very quickly skirt over this as there's not much more to say. I just did the first 'long' run (500 miles) in the new to me CX5 and got an average of 50.4 MPG motorway and A roads TBH but i'm happy with that.

The second issue is far more of a pain for me. The previous owners fitted wind deflectors and I hate them, they are in my opinion for doddery old farts who go at 30mph everywhere, PLUS they create wind noise, when Mazda designed the CX5 they will have used aerodynamics on the calculations of the build and will have the car as 'smooth' as they could get it. Why someone thinks that by sticking on some plastic is going to improve any characteristics of the vehicle is beyond me. Sorry Rant over!.

I want to remove them but cannot work out how. There are youtube vids showing various makes and all requiring a different method of fitting but I think going by the trim level and condition of the car, the previous owners will have chosen OEM parts so, any one any ideas? there are no markings at all on them but i can't work out if something was first removed before these were installed and are subsequently missing.

Long gone are the days in the UK where the log book (now called V5 Document) used to show the details of previous owners otherwise i'd call them up and ask.

Just chirp in if you have anything please guys.

Stay safe all

Why someone thinks that by sticking on some plastic is going to improve any characteristics of the vehicle is beyond me.
The purpose of side window deflectors is to keep rain out of the car when driving with the window cracked. Some folks use sun roof deflectors to reduce wind noise and turbulence in the cabin.

The purpose of side window deflectors is to keep rain out of the car when driving with the window cracked. Some folks use sun roof deflectors to reduce wind noise and turbulence in the cabin.
@HardRightEdg
Exactly my point, the deflector on the sunroof is fitted by Mazda, it pops up like magic when you open the roof, surely no-one fits another secondary. If they were required on the side windows, would they not be fitted as standard?

@HardRightEdg
Exactly my point, the deflector on the sunroof is fitted by Mazda, it pops up like magic when you open the roof, surely no-one fits another secondary. If they were required on the side windows, would they not be fitted as standard?
I don't think this requires any more discussion but as far as sunroofs go I was not referring to any particular vehicle. Some might find benefit in a manufacturer or aftermarket add-on if not so equipped from the factory which is a lot more common now than it used to be.

I don't put side window deflectors on my cars but some might find benefit, others not, or some don't like the look. If somebody is not in the habit of driving in the rain with the window cracked, or paying at a drive-thru in the rain for that matter, they won't find any use for them.

Of course they are not "required" which doesn't need to be said. It should not need to be said that cars come in a variety of trims with option packages and all manner of specific items you can add that are not "required". Pick your poison with whatever cost-benefit considerations may apply.

Hey, I agree with HardRight Edg. I think they functionality is minimal and that most get them because they like the look.

Can't tell if you were joking, I hope so They're all over the place on cars

@hal2 I wasn't actually joking but feel that there is maybe some misunderstanding.
Initially I never made reference to any sort of roof deflector only window deflectors it was another contributor who introduced such things.
For clarity, my idea of a sunroof deflector is the thing that pops up when one opens their sunroof, the thing fitted on the production line. I am not aware of, or indeed know why someone would want to fit another over and above that one.
Listen, life's too short to fall out, have a nice evening and stay safe.

@hal2
For clarity, my idea of a sunroof deflector is the thing that pops up when one opens their sunroof, the thing fitted on the production line.
I question the functionality and design of the oem sunroof deflector. If I reach up and retract it with my hand while driving there is a noticeable decrease in both noise and turbulence.

@hal2 Initially I never made reference to any sort of roof deflector only window deflectors it was another contributor who introduced such things.
Actually, no, you said "wind deflectors." A sun roof deflector is just that. Since you said "windows" pluraI I reckoned you might mean side windows even though those are not wind deflectors.

PS: I don't have a sun roof and wouldn't want one if you gave it to me for free.

@HardRightEdg considering you started your second post by saying "I don't think this requires any more discussion" you can't resist coming back can you?
For clarity, my thread is titled

MPG and side window wind deflectors​

What other types of deflector could I possibly be talking about other than side windows (plural).
Let's just agree to differ and leave it there.
Finally tho', just out of curiosity, what do you call them if not as you say "even though those are not wind deflectors." as on my car they create so much wind noise, hence me wanting them off.
Stay safe and be happy.

Keep the discussion civil folks. If you don't like what someone has to say, you can simply ignore it instead of replying to it. This goes both ways.

@Frank_Zuccar
Sorry, does that mean 50.4 MPG is not good, or is good?
I'm pretty happy with that to be honest, maybe I could get more but keeping to about 56mph can become a pain and that is what I have done but on shortned trips circa 100 miles (2x50 work and return)

My response was meant to suggest that 50.4 mpg is very good, far in excess of any mileage I have attained. However, I see now that your car has a diesel motor, while mine is fueled with gasoline. A significant detail that I overlooked.

Still, very good economy, I believe.

Thanks..................... Frank

No one else is amazed at 50.4 MPG?!!!
2.2 diesel and I would guess @speedbird1 is talking about  imperial gallons being in UK?

So... 50.4÷1.201 = 41.97 US mpg equivalent?

Still a very efficient number IMHO and in line with what I see on my North American 2.2 diesel. I'm right around 35.5 US mpg running interstates at 70-75 mph and easily into low 40's on slower roads with 55mph limits.

The Mazda diesel is a very efficient motor for sure!

@HyFlyer
Doh! and that's the reason whenever i'm in the US that the 'Gas Miles" always appears low to me, forgetting to do that calculation. Thank you.

2.2 diesel and I would guess @speedbird1 is talking about  imperial gallons being in UK?

So... 50.4÷1.201 = 41.97 US mpg equivalent?

Still a very efficient number IMHO and in line with what I see on my North American 2.2 diesel. I'm right around 35.5 US mpg running interstates at 70-75 mph and easily into low 40's on slower roads with 55mph limits.

The Mazda diesel is a very efficient motor for sure!
Thank you for this further explanation. As you said, very good indeed................... Frank

I recently got 39.2 mpg US with my 2018 na engines on snow tires, no A/C, at 55 mph. So the figures for a diesel seems plausible. Now my combined is only 26 mpg but on the highway this has great fuel efficiency. What kinda of mileage is everyone else getting?

Back