2014 Mazda3 i-ELOOP Battery imminent failure warning

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
A couple of weeks ago, the orange triangle with exclamation mark in center popped up on the dash. Using the infotainment system display, I found the issue description to be "i-ELOOP System Malfunction". The dealership found that the (slightly more than) 3 year-old battery was near total failure, so they pro-rated it for a discount of $150. The total with tax and labor for installing a new battery came to $406.

Jesus. Is that a special battery?

Never had a battery cost more than $150 with a free installation from a Big Box Auto Parts store.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a deep-cycle battery that works with the i-ELOOP super capacitor to power steering and other electrical motors. Gas mileage is better than Mazdas without this system. I think Mazda used the system from 2014-2016 model years for their high-end models.

Some people have used deep cycle AGM batteries but I believe the dealership has a tool to turn off the warning light/reset the system.

It's not a code that can be accessed and reset using a common OBD II reader.

Last edited:
Got a '16 Mazda 6 GT. Battery replaced in 2019 (3+ yr). Same error on the dash for a couple month.
Got the dealer to pay for it. (I have three Mazdas... loyalty counts for something, right?)

It has been almost 4 yrs since... the clock is ticking again.
I hope they replaced it with a better one 4 yrs ago.

My first replacement was in 2019 at 5 years of age, but the replacement one lasted only 3 years. The good news is that there should be that warning light which means you are risking having a no-start condition if you wait too long. If you do have to get a jump start, make sure the I-ELOOP light goes out before you start the car.

Last edited:
Back