What have you done to your CX-5 today?

2 hours for a shop to replace a wheel hub? That sounds super speedy to me. I would expect a shop to keep the car until the next day for something like that.

I was try'n attach a few pics to ^^^ 2.2 diesel fuel filter post but wasn't working out. I'll just repost the whole thing and delete the previous ...

R & R'd the fuel filter on my 2019 North American 2.2 diesel.

When it was done the first time at the Mazda Dealership (under the 2 years / 30k miles free maintenance), they told me about how hard it is to do and they needed to keep my car an extra day because it took the tech a half of a day just to change the fuel filter. I thought it was odd because it looked like I could just reach in there and grab it with my hand. (it lives on the passenger side firewall and seems easily accessible).

Pffffffft, changed it myself in 10 minutes at home. No fuel spilling or leaking. Hardest thing was just squeezing the little plastic cable anchor tabs back together to push through the hole to release it for the wiring on the sedimentor / water switch. The filter itself is a spin-on like an oil filter and is just hand tight. Came off very easy and plenty of room to pull it out without spilling anything. Swap the water switch onto the new filter, get the assembly back into position and fill the filter with about 8oz of diesel (make sure the fuel and funnel/tube are clean clean clean!) Started the car up, it ran a few seconds and stalled. Took about two series of long cranking for it to work the air out of the system and back to normal.

I'll make a video sometime if I ever get a chance. Only videos I found on youtube were of older models and the filter was behind the battery. Looked more involved getting those out.

For a 2019 cx5 diesel, changing the fuel filter is as easy as an oil filter IMHO

20220522_194227.jpgScreenshot_20220522-194400~2.png20220522_192519_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Is it a regular maintenance item for diesel?
Yes, the fuel filter on the diesel is a regular schedule maintenance item with an interval of 22,500 miles.

IMHO, you could trash a filter with one bad fill up of dirty fuel or it could last a lifetime if taken to the other extreme. In my experience, a clogged fuel filter on an engine usually shows itself with reduced power during high flow demand situations ... High RPM, full power pulls. There's plenty enough warning to feel that and change out your filter when needed.

The fuel filter on the diesel is a pretty nice package for $36. All in one unit with the filter element and a water/sediment/fuel separator that has a drain valve and nipple on the bottom of it. Pretty slick setup really.

That filter change I did takes it through the end of the powertrain warranty. I don't have any fears of running the filter longer than 22.5k miles.

The carbon finder door handle window lift panels and center console just got delivered. Can't wait to get them applied. Not a big fan of the gloss black interior trim for high touch areas. Scratches way too easily.

R & R'd the fuel filter on my 2019 North American 2.2 diesel.

When it was done the first time at the Mazda Dealership (under the 2 years / 30k miles free maintenance), they told me about how hard it is to do and they needed to keep my car an extra day because it took the tech a half of a day just to change the fuel filter. I thought it was odd because it looked like I could just reach in there and grab it with my hand. (it lives on the passenger side firewall and seems easily accessible).

Pffffffft, changed it myself in 10 minutes at home. No fuel spilling or leaking. Hardest thing was just squeezing the little plastic cable anchor tabs back together to push through the hole to release it for the wiring on the sedimentor / water switch. The filter itself is a spin-on like an oil filter and is just hand tight. Came off very easy and plenty of room to pull it out without spilling anything. Swap the water switch onto the new filter, get the assembly back into position and fill the filter with about 8oz of diesel (make sure the fuel and funnel/tube are clean clean clean!) Started the car up, it ran a few seconds and stalled. Took about two series of long cranking for it to work the air out of the system and back to normal.
Thanks for the write-up although it's for the rare CX-5 diesel in the US.

The Mazda dealer doesn't need to lie to you on how difficult the free maintenance work is as they don't collect money from you. My guess on why your Mazda dealer took a half of a day to change the fuel filters on your 2.2L diesel is because they also changed the pre-filter inside of the fuel tank. That requires removing the rear seat to open the fuel tank and took the fuel sending unit out, a lot more work on that.

After about 4 months of waiting, the Maxton Designs spoiler extension arrived... From Poland!

Installed and fits really well.

I have a feeling it's actually for the "facelift" KE, whatever that is. But everything lines up, and fits well.

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_162811084.jpg
    PXL_20220611_162811084.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220611_162523126.jpg
    PXL_20220611_162523126.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Recently did a brake job. Prices on basic full brake kits are back down to the $110-$150usd point on ebay.
Interesting you should say that. A year ago an oil change at a Mazda dealer cost me $64.49 + tax This past week at the same dealer with the same part numbers, same synthetic oil, same 5 qts., came to $57.81 + tax.

Interesting you should say that. A year ago an oil change at a Mazda dealer cost me $64.49 + tax This past week at the same dealer with the same part numbers, same synthetic oil, same 5 qts., came to $57.81 + tax.
Wow, paid $109 (Denver area) after $15 off on 4/19 for same.

In anticipation of my upcoming move, I went ahead and installed a roof rack. I had already ordered the OEM Mazda crossbars from med center Mazda on ebay, and when my baby gifted me a 2 hour nap today, this became my naptime task.

It's easy, but a pain to do if you use the enclosed T30 L-wrench, but much less of a pain if you use a ratchet wrench, a flexible extension, and a T30 bit socket. I started them off with the L-wrench, and tightened them down with the ratchet wrench.

And pics!

IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg

FWIW, when I installed my roof rails and cross bars I use same size hex head bolts instead of the included torx bolts. Not only easier to install with a ratchet, but will be tons easier to remove if needed. Well worth the trip to Hone Depot , imo

FWIW, when I installed my roof rails and cross bars I use same size hex head bolts instead of the included torx bolts. Not only easier to install with a ratchet, but will be tons easier to remove if needed. Well worth the trip to Hone Depot , imo

I didn't think about it at the time, but in retrospect, it's something that definitely would've made the install easier. For now, it's on there quite solidly, and since our car is parked outside overnight in the middle of the city, it's just a little bit more peace-of-mind that the cross bars use a more obscure bolt that a thief won't likely have available.

Back