What did you pay for your CX-5?

This was quoted in-person after a test drive, so I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't willing to honor it as written. Always a possibility I suppose, but fairly unlikely in this case IMO.
I concur, with one exception. Only after you think you're reached your deal, they throw on the dealer DOC fee in the finance office. While you can negotiate your price taking that in to consideration, once you've 'struck your deal' with the salesman, the F&I manager usually can't do anything about the added DOC, so have that in consideration before your deal.

Short version. The salesman gives the sales price to the F&I manager, who is out of the sales loop, then he adds all the DOC as well as TT&L.

I concur, with one exception. Only after you think you're reached your deal, they throw on the dealer DOC fee in the finance office. While you can negotiate your price taking that in to consideration, once you've 'struck your deal' with the salesman, the F&I manager usually can't do anything about the added DOC, so have that in consideration before your deal.

Short version. The salesman gives the sales price to the F&I manager, who is out of the sales loop, then he adds all the DOC as well as TT&L.
Just ask for a detailed OTD quote. Don’t let him quote ‘sales price’ and leave you at the mercy of the finance pirañas. If finance won’t honor the OTD quote walk straight to an honest dealer.

Some states have cap on doc fees.
For those which don't, you, living in those states, need to ask for all fees before you sign or even walk into the dealerships.
Just my two cents.

Just ask for a detailed OTD quote. Don’t let him quote ‘sales price’ and leave you at the mercy of the finance pirañas. If finance won’t honor the OTD quote walk straight to an honest dealer.

Yep that's what I finally started doing. Doesn't matter what the doc fees or dealer options were, as long as the final OTD price was around MSRP + tax, I was fine with it.

Just got the following quote from a dealer. Seems good (excellent?) given the current market, still nervous about pulling the trigger:

2022 CX-5 2.5 Turbo

MSRP: $37885
Dealer Discount: $2250
Loyalty Rebate: $500
Doc Fee: $175

Total: $35,310 + TTL
Just bought the car, the dealer didn't try to sneak anything in at the last minute, paperwork matched this exactly. Called about a dozen other dealers in the area, and none were willing to come close, much less match it. Closest offer I got was $1500 off MSRP.

Fairly happy with the deal, got a car that was pre-$350 MSRP price bump and 1.9% financing through Mazda.

^^^^ Yup.

Kind of long, but I think some of of you will find value in this.......

I bought my 2020 Signature and 2021 Signature all over email, the dealer the sent a proforma invoice with all number down to the penny as to what I had to bring in.

They want you "to come in, we're close to that price". No reason other than beating you up for that last $500 - trust me, once you're in the dealership they know that in about 97% of the cases you'll give in, they have the numbers and have studied this thoroughly.

Currently, I'm emailing a dealer on a CX-50. Told him, I'll buy it for MSRP - TOTAL after all dealer adds, and doc fee, but before TT&L.

He asked "if I can sell you the car for that when would you come in" - I said "Saturday".

Then again today he wrote...

"I do not deal directly with price. That designated to my mangers. My job is to ensure that you are choosing the correct vehicle and making an educated decision. What time do you plan on coming in?"

replied - literally this........

"Unfortunately I don't do the "come in and let's talk". Your dealer sells cars all week long and someone at the dealership knows if this is doable. If it is, great, if not, I completely understand."

Again, they already know what they can sell you the car for, but once you're in the dealerhsip they can read how much you want or don't want the car. Fortunately my purchases have always been a want, not a need, and i am ready to say "this is my offer, if you want it, great, if it's too low, I understand, bye.

Oh, i also loathe the "if you come in then my manager will know you're serious" - BS, the price you can sell me the car is independalt on how serious I am. What changes is how desperate you think I am to drive away with a shiny and new $4,000 lb piece of metal.

WOW, update. As I wrote the above, this just came in.....

"I spoke with my manger. We are willing to honor your offer. What time tomorrow can you come down and do the test drive?"

If true, then that means dealer can, if they choose, do MSRP - TOTAL after all doc and dealer BS add-on, but before TT&L.

Now I just need to decide if the CX-50 is an upgrade to my nearly brand new CX-5

With Mazda incentives and dealer discounts we were able to obtain MSRP minus $6,500 on our 2020 GT back in June, 2020. This time around in Spring of 2022 we're paying MSRP plus $250 for dealer-required add-ons for a Signature model.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the market has changed in less than 2 years?!?

:cry:

WOW, update. As I wrote the above, this just came in.....

"I spoke with my manger. We are willing to honor your offer. What time tomorrow can you come down and do the test drive?"

If true, then that means dealer can, if they choose, do MSRP - TOTAL after all doc and dealer BS add-on, but before TT&L.

Now I just need to decide if the CX-50 is an upgrade to my nearly brand new CX-5

Nice!! Sounds like you'll be taking a test drive soon?

eventually what goes up goes down and vice versa :) patience.
Yep. When I bought mine, I think I got $1100 off the sticker price (paid 25.5k, sticker was 26.6k - AWD Touring with no add-on packages) + fees and taxes. At the time the 2014 model with the brand new 2.5L engine vs the 2.0L of the 2013 was the hot ticket item and there wasn't much in terms of deals to be had in my area.

Yes it is. I paid $26.5k (plus TTL) for a 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD back in 2017. I went in to the Mazda dealer to get some oil and they had a 2023 CX-50 and it was listed for $55k. Wow! :oops:

Last edited:

April 2020, I bought a new Signature for $6,000 under MSRP, an excellent price even then. And that was a month after lockdown. I nearly fainted.

Yes it is. I paid $26.5k (plus TTL) for a 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD back in 2017. I went in to the Mazda dealer to get some oil and they had a 2023 CX-50 and it was listed for $55k. Wow! :oops:
This is exactly why I bought the CX-5 over the CX-50.. The dealerships were upselling the 50 for too much. There were plenty of new CX-5's on the lot, and the differences wasn't that significant to me, so I'm happy going with whichever one was cheaper.

This is exactly why I bought the CX-5 over the CX-50.. The dealerships were upselling the 50 for too much. There were plenty of new CX-5's on the lot, and the differences wasn't that significant to me, so I'm happy going with whichever one was cheaper.
I add the upselling dealers to my list of dealerships I won't be doing business with. Personal experience has shown them to also not be flexible under normal times.

I'm in the market now and looking but finding no Chicago area dealer at sticker, or without dealer add-ons. I bought a 2021 Corvette after ordering it in 2021, for sticker, no add-ons, nothing. Process was so much easier.

Inventories are shrinking again after a couple of months of balancing out. It's going to be very rare to find a deal at MSRP for at least the next 3 months

I may have found a dealer who will let me order at MSRP. They are at $500 over, plus a dealer added $1400 protection package. I will pay for neither.

I may have found a dealer who will let me order at MSRP. They are at $500 over, plus a dealer added $1400 protection package. I will pay for neither.
Oddly enough I'd respect a dealer (marginally) more if he just said "Market Adjustment $1,400". What bothers me is that they'll convince an un-informed customer, with a straight face, that this package that costs them $300 has any real value

I don't even care that much if they're greedy (no one is forcing me to buy a car from them), its the damn lying that makes me walk away.

Back