How to get rid of OEM rims?

:
CX5 '21 GTR
Looking to replace my OEM wheels (200mi), they look really not cool, compared to my '16 GT+Tech at least
Called a couple of wheel services and they were not looking to take my OEM wheels
What's the most efficient way to get rid of the new OEM wheels? (hopefully not posting on ebay or taking to junk yard)

Are you hoping to get some money for them? Or are you just trying to give them away? If it's the latter, I'd just put them on the side of the road with a FREE sign next to them.

Listing something on Kijiji/Craigslist/FB Marketplace is ridiculously easy, I'm sure some random passerby would be more than happy to make a few hundred dollars for 5-10 mins of work.

Thanks for suggestions
By getting rid I meant selling in the most convenient way without having to store or ship them
Ideally at the same time I switch, but as I mentioned wheel services were not looking to buy
Google "sell oem rims" produces many options, nothing local to me though
Will have to find a storage I guess and try CL or ebay

Thanks for suggestions
By getting rid I meant selling in the most convenient way without having to store or ship them
Ideally at the same time I switch, but as I mentioned wheel services were not looking to buy
Google "sell oem rims" produces many options, nothing local to me though
Will have to find a storage I guess and try CL or ebay
Try selling to junkyard. They will want to profit but you can at least see what they'll offer, if anything. Or post local ebay. Thats how I bought my BBS rims... traveled 2 hours to pick up.
Most people will travel 1/2 hour to hour.

Craigslist should be pretty quick and painless, especially if you aren't trying to get top dollar. Somebody will want them for winter tires, if nothing else. I think I sold my OEM wheels from my 18 for $700 or so relatively quickly. I had them in my garage for a week or two.

I've been keeping this on CL for several months already, no interest.
Is there something wrong about it?

Very simple, if it hasn't sold keep lowering the price until it does. Those sellers you're comparing prices with have them for sale constantly... who knows if they ever sell?

Very simple, if it hasn't sold keep lowering the price until it does. Those sellers you're comparing prices with have them for sale constantly... who knows if they ever sell?
Agree with above.

There are two types of sellers. Those that want to sell and those that will wait til the get the price they want.

I once saw a ranch house listed for $500 k while others were going for $200 k. Nothing special about it. So it sat and sat and sat until the housing bubble burst. And it still sat.

Do you want to sell ? If so, lower the price. I got a used set of great aftermarket BBS rims for $500. You can find other sets of used name brand rims for $700, etc. You can get some brand new aftermarket sets for between $ 500 and $700. You need to list on ebay and rethink your pricing strategy.

To me a set of original car maker rims, no matter the manufacturer, holds a value of $ 150 tops.
I can go to most junkyards and get those for the price I want.

Update: can get your rims(grade A) at junkyard for $200 a piece or $800 set (alot more than I would pay) That's before trying to negotiate them down.

Maybe you should try setting price at $800 or $850 and then try lowering it by $50 increments every week after that.

Last edited:
Maybe you'll have better luck selling the wheels individually and advertise / ship nationwide. I'm thinking about most people looking for an entire set are aftermarket shoppers and someone breaking/cracking/bending/scuffing a factory wheel is just looking for one.

An exception to that would be someone wanting a factory set to mount winter tires (you are in a region for that) but I think they're priced too high for a set.

I’d list them on Facebook Marketplace. I think you’ll have better luck there along with dropping the price some. Good luck!

Just a thought to ponder:
If you aren't going to be keeping the car for a very long time, when it's time to sell it, a car that is unmodified is worth more that one that has been customized. And this goes double for factory wheels vs aftermarket.

That said, if you plan on riding this thing until it dies in 15-20 years, well, that's not a problem then!

Just to show how little interest there is, I have had my low mileage19" GT-R rims up in the classifieds here and on local Craig's List for 4-5 weeks and only asking $300 for the whole set. Crickets!

I'll give it thru the summer and then off to the local recycle center for $0.60/ lb.

Just to show how little interest there is, I have had my low mileage19" GT-R rims up in the classifieds here and on local Craig's List for 4-5 weeks and only asking $300 for the whole set. Crickets!

I'll give it thru the summer and then off to the local recycle center for $0.60/ lb.
Yeah the top amount I'd ever pay for OEM rims is $ 150 per set. Most people get aftermarket for a reason. So there is a surplus of OEM rims and no buyers. Also most people looking for OEM are looking for 17" cheapo's to use for winters. You should still try to get $150 to $200 for them. Leave it up for a couple weeks. Or if you have the space, keep them in your garage like "theblooms" said. That's where my 19" OEM are.

Or if you have the space, keep them in your garage like "theblooms" said. That's where my 19" OEM are.

Honestly, they make good wall hanger decorations. If you have a "man cave", you can easily turn them into bar stools, as well. Using the wheel as the base, bolt a stained 4x4 to it, then attach a seat to the top. Quick, easy, cheap, and attractive.

Back