Off Topic New TV suggestions

Yeah, they joined Saturday and lie in wait to advertise a Sony OLED TV 2 days later. :rolleyes:

In a thread started by a mod, no less.. lol. If they are a bot, they'll be dealt with.

Anyway, @LouisBailey, in the first post and on the previous page, I had mentioned that I was initially considering the Sony A80J, but instead decided on the LG C1/C2. It just seems like a better TV and value.

Last edited:
I worked at Future Shop when they were operating here some years ago. You could haggle there no problem, and sometimes Best Buy customers would come to Future Shop, get a quote in writing, then take that quote back to Best Buy, which they would use to match or beat prices. So I suppose it's not technically "haggling", it's more along the lines of price-matching against a competitor's quote. Since Future Shop is no longer operating here, I'd be going to other local stores that allow haggling, then taking that quote to Best Buy if necessary (to pad my friend-of-a-friend's sales numbers). But you guys are right, Best Buy does not haggle.
I will say, I do kinda wish haggling was a more of a thing besides for just car purchases.

In a thread started by a mod, no less.. lol. If they are a bot, they'll be dealt with.

Anyway, @LouisBailey, in the first post and on the previous page, I had mentioned that I was initially considering the Sony A80J, but instead decided on the LG C1/C2. It just seems like a better TV and value.
Been dealing with web bots for a long time, I promise you we won't hear from this 'guy' again. I'll bet on it.

It would be great to see pics if possible. 😁

How reliable are recent high-end Sony and LG TVs? Any issues with the latest screen tech (oled, micro-led, quantum dot, high frame rate etc)?

What model/tech currently produces the deepest colors?

Ps…Hope I’m not opening a can of worms here lol 🤣

Ps2…Saw the post from @HardRightEdg, looks like both LG and Sony are reliable with Sony having the edge in that department currently..?

It would be great to see pics if possible. 😁

How reliable are recent high-end Sony and LG TVs? Any issues with the latest screen tech (oled, micro-led, quantum dot, high frame rate etc)?

What model/tech currently produces the deepest colors?

Ps…Hope I’m not opening a can of worms here lol 🤣

Ps2…Saw the post from @HardRightEdg, looks like both LG and Sony are reliable with Sony having the edge in that department currently..?

Only issue with OLED tech is the risk of burn-in, but this is mostly only a problem if there are static elements that remain on screen for a long period of time, like the scrolling news bar on a news broadcast or some sports highlights channels. Or the heads-up display or heath bar on a video game. But the image would have to remain on the screen for a long time to cause any significant burn-in.

AFAIK, OLED tech has the deepest blacks, while QLED, micro-LED etc can get brighter overall.

I'd give a very slight edge to Sony on reliability, but it's very, very close. Fun fact: Sony uses LG Display's panels in their OLED TVs. They're the same panels that LG Electronics uses in theirs.

All these TV's are built to last. Literally none will be more reliable then any other. There are no moving parts and these 3 companies (LG, Sammy, Sony) all know how to make good product. What can get you is poor software support. Notice I never mentioned Vizio... y'know, the OLED that I bought?!? It is SO glitchy I would never recommend Vizio for anything. I can't even TURN IT ON sometimes without unplugging it. And Vizio has been trying to quash this bug for over a year...

All these TV's are built to last. Literally none will be more reliable then any other. There are no moving parts and these 3 companies (LG, Sammy, Sony) all know how to make good product. What can get you is poor software support. Notice I never mentioned Vizio... y'know, the OLED that I bought?!? It is SO glitchy I would never recommend Vizio for anything. I can't even TURN IT ON sometimes without unplugging it. And Vizio has been trying to quash this bug for over a year...
Wow, thanks for the note on what not to buy.

Pretty much why I joined this thread to ensure NO ONE WAS RECOMMENDING VIZIO. :D (And why I recommend LG as it is the one I wish I had gotten).

That is what you want. LG ALL DAY.

One of those 2. Both are EXCELLENT.
I know TVs. Sony is excellent too, but LG is the best.

I got a Vizio and I regret it so much. I should have gotten the LG.
Yep- my 65" LG OLED is hands down the best TV I have ever seen. Amazing picture. I have had mine for 18mths. Very good built in sound for a flat screen too. Highly recommended!

Have a Sony AF8 65 oled so a few years old now. X80 is two generations on.
Things I like about the Sony
Oled has outstanding picture for movies.
Andriod OS has great flexibility for apps … but user interface is a bit slow
Doesn’t need a sound bar for normal tv viewing. Uses screen speakers and small bass unit which has a more than acceptable sound.

Used toslink originally for old receiver so basic Dolby Digital for Netflix but Disney wouldn’t do 5.1 , just defaulted to 2.0 pcm.

Replaced receiver with late model Yamaha A2A, so now get atmos via Netflix but not Disney . My model has arc so limits atmos to lossy version. X80 has ARCe so has lossless audio support which is important going forward.

4k 120hz gaming mode a must if your looking to get PS5 or Xbox X. Sony supports this via latest hdmi spec.

If I was buying again I’d go X85 series mainly for xtra processing power. I think it will mean more future Android system upgrades. But x80 is a fine TV

Haggling. I have done it myself as well as other family members. Just ask for a manager.

Interesting. When you haggle, are you negotiating the price of the product by itself, or is it as a package that includes other high margin items or services like Geek Squad installation, extended warranty, etc.?

Maybe they relaxed their no haggle policy after they shut down their Future Shop stores. I haven't been to Best Buy in many years.

Oof, just checked pricing on the 65" C2. I was hoping it would come in around $2700-$2800, but it's priced at $3300 everywhere. I'll just go with the C1 as it's around $2200. Then I'll be able to upgrade the receiver a little sooner too :)

I'll most likely get it from Costco as their warranty is excellent, and I can extend it out to 5 years for an extra $100 if I wanted to.

Will likely be picking the TV up after we starting moving in next weekend.

Interesting. When you haggle, are you negotiating the price of the product by itself, or is it as a package that includes other high margin items or services like Geek Squad installation, extended warranty, etc.?

Maybe they relaxed their no haggle policy after they shut down their Future Shop stores. I haven't been to Best Buy in many years.
When it's a high priced item like a TV, just the item itself.

Got the TV, a 65" LG C1. Fit right in the back of the CX-9 with the 2nd row folded flat.

20220526_190739.jpg

Will post again once I have it all set up!

Back