Automatic Emergency Brake Impact on Car?

sodasui

2020 CX-5 Sport AWD Jet Black Mica
My CX-5 (2020 Sport) has the automatic emergency brake which for some reason, in the 3 times it's happened so far, kicks in only when I'm already braking and not even that close to the car in front. Anyway, does this system kicking in once in a while have any negative impact on the brake pads, brake system as a whole, etc?
I'm assuming it was designed as a feature so it would be used, and so it won't damage the car...but that grating sound, the pedal hitting the floor, and the lunge forward sounds to me worse than the nails dragging down the blackboard...

It won't hurt anything. Sounds like you should go into the settings and change the activation setting to 'near.' It only activates as a last second thing so maybe your driving style is riding up close behind the car front of you

It won't hurt anything. Sounds like you should go into the settings and change the activation setting to 'near.' It only activates as a last second thing so maybe your driving style is riding up close behind the car front of you
Oh I didn't know you can change the setting, will do that. I don't tail people, but all the times it's happened, its when the car in front stops in a road suddenly to turn left into a plaza etc and doesn't go, even though there's a gap in the oncoming traffic. I'm coming along from behind at the slower speed expecting him to turn by the time I'm a car's length away so I'm riding the brake but not very hard, but they just don't go. That's when the auto brake kicks in, only when I'm already braking and I could very well come to a full stop before hitting the other car lol

Oh I didn't know you can change the setting, will do that. I don't tail people, but all the times it's happened, its when the car in front stops in a road suddenly to turn left into a plaza etc and doesn't go, even though there's a gap in the oncoming traffic. I'm coming along from behind at the slower speed expecting him to turn by the time I'm a car's length away so I'm riding the brake but not very hard, but they just don't go. That's when the auto brake kicks in, only when I'm already braking and I could very well come to a full stop before hitting the other car lol
The system continues to track a car until it’s completely clear of you’re hypothetical lane. You have to remember that it doesn’t assume you can see it. It could be dark and foggy or have no tail lights. The radar cruise control will also react badly to somebody cutting across your lane.

I noticed my automatic braking continues AFTER the car in front of me has made the turn. I find this annoying and strange. Ed

@sodasui , for your question of is it causing harm, no I don't believe any harm will happen to the braking system. Increased wear, yes.

Along the lines @Anchorman is describing, the system also doesn't have the intuition to assume the turning vehicle ahead is going to continue to turn. You, being a human being, over time has learned to trust that the vehicle ahead will continue on it's way (which could/will bite you one day).

The system is just a computer doing math, crunching numbers of distance and speed and when the answer to that math problem = x then the system activates. It's just a basic, simple system.

Fortunately, there is also a very quick and equally simple way to prevent "the system" from slamming on the brakes ... Just press slightly on the accelerator pedal. That tells "the system" you've got this :). Same with @erhayes situation or anchorman's car cutting through lane whilst on radar cruise ... just a slight bit of pressure on the gas pedal will "calm" the uptight system.

Additionally, if you find you are having this situation happening frequently with cars ahead turning, you may want to adjust your timing to leave a little more gap. You are likely timing it out with the assumption the car ahead continues to turn. Why leave your safety (and insurance rates) in the hands of another? It's completely free to leave just a little more space. Doesn't even cost you any time.

Back