A/C only working on passenger side

I have a Mazda 2014 GT 2.5L with fully automated dual zone climate control system. The air conditioner works on the passenger side and not on the driver side. And I know the driver-side air mix actuator is working fine. I am looking for idea on what could be the problem please.

As you can see in the attached table below (all temperature in F), I have placed 4 temperature sensors, one in each of the 4 air vents. I have set the dual zone temperature to different temperature with and without the A/C on. As you can see, when the A/C is ON and the driver side temperature is dial to low temperature, the air coming out on the left is by far not as cold as if I do the same for the right side. I have looked at the driver-side air mix actuator and I do see it moving when I change the driver side temperature dial from cold to hot. I have also looked at the passenger-side air mix actuator and I do see it moving as well. The air flow mode actuator is also working fine as I can change where the air comes out and it works fine.

From what I can see, there is only one A/C unit in the car, correct ? If so, what do you think the problem can be ?

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 150
Could it be the cabin temperature sensor for each zone (left or right) causing the issue? I figure it must have separate sensors somewhere.

Upvote 0
I have a similar situation in my 2013 CX-5 but I don’t use automatic climate on. I just have it set to the lowest temp all the time. How do you observe the actuators? I’ve also noticed that the heater exhibits similar behavior except the opposite. My conclusion was that the left actuator door is stuck halfway open so it lets outside air in all the time causing the left vent to push out lukewarm air no matter if the AC or heater is on.

Upvote 0
OP you are low on freon. Common issue with a/c systems today when you have cold air on the pass side but not drivers. Buy a can with a gauge and put some in the low side under the hood. You may have a very small leak but it's common to lose some over many years as a/c systems are not completely sealed due to compressor seals designed to leak a little.

Upvote 0
I have a similar situation in my 2013 CX-5 but I don’t use automatic climate on. I just have it set to the lowest temp all the time. How do you observe the actuators? I’ve also noticed that the heater exhibits similar behavior except the opposite. My conclusion was that the left actuator door is stuck halfway open so it lets outside air in all the time causing the left vent to push out lukewarm air no matter if the AC or heater is on.
>How do you observe the actuators?
On the driver side, by removing the plastic cover by the gas pedal, I see it. I see the "arm" moving back and forth when I change the temp from cold to warm (regardless of A/C ON or not).
Now that I think about your question, I see the "arm" moving, but is it really moving the trap / door inside ? hmmm... I have to assume so since I feel the difference in temperature on that side when the actuator moves.
But I will have a closer look at that too.

Upvote 0
OP you are low on freon. Common issue with a/c systems today when you have cold air on the pass side but not drivers.
Tchman2016, I forgot to mention that I had a leak last year and the dealer fixed it. Well, now I hope they did and not forgot a leak somewhere.

That would be unfortunate if that is my problem.

Upvote 0
OP you are low on freon. Common issue with a/c systems today when you have cold air on the pass side but not drivers.

Agree, for many vehicles the under dash evaporator design uses the air flow from one-half of the evap for left side and the other half of the evap for the right vents. If the evap is shy on liquid refrigerant, the entry (high pressure) end is the coldest and the exit (low pressure) end is much warmer. A well-charged system keeps the entire evap with a few degrees end to end.

Upvote 0
Hi GTEyes. I did not. I start to think it is really low on freon. But now that we have cooler weather, it doesn't bother me anymore... until next summer.
Thinking to sell the car anyways.

Upvote 0
Hi GTEyes. I did not. I start to think it is really low on freon. But now that we have cooler weather, it doesn't bother me anymore... until next summer.
Thinking to sell the car anyways.
Thanks for the update!

Upvote 0
Back