Cracked cylinder head (2018 CX-5)

Apparently, its not that unusual. Are u reading the posts?
While the OP has left us, it's worth digging into the above statement.

First, there are a few threads that address this matter with a lot of posts, but how many have actually experienced the problem relative the 100,000's of 2.5L NA's with cylinder deactivation sold since 2018? Forums are magnets for people with problems. The vast majority go blithely on their way of problem free driving without checking in.

In looking back at a old posts, mine and others, sometime in the last 10 months the Consumer Reports reliability rating for 2018 CX-5 "engine--major" has dropped from their highest rating to merely average. 2019 forward maintain the highest rating. Could it be that as this engine ages, as with the OP's 2018 with 40,000 miles, cracked cylinder heads start cropping up?

Perhaps. Typically, one problem with Consumer Reports' ratings is they blend all trims into one rating. We don't have that problem here since the turbo was not introduced in CX-5 until 2019.

So, how concerning should this drop to average be? You should be aware that in Consumer Reports data across all makes and models of 4 year old cars, the average reported "engine--major" issue constitutes "<1%." So going from 5-out-of 5 to 3-out-of-5 means going from some small fraction of 1% to a larger fraction of 1%. And some of these issues may be one-offs or two-offs engine failures unrelated to cracked cylinder heads that may have never made their appearance in forums. Some may be attributable to poor maintenance or abusive driving.

So how concerned should one be about having this problem in the future? Not much in the great scheme of things, though it bears watching over the coming years.

As for the issue being specific to cylinder deactivation, if one wants to go by forum posts I believe a cursory review of the CX-9 forum shows the turbo in those vehicles has more reported issues than here while having much lower sales volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per that TSB on the other page. It appears the cylinder head problem began in 2018+ with the new cylinder deactivation system Mazda introduced in 2018.

indeed and its worth mentioning that all the TSBs for the non-turbo model dont seem to mention cracked cylinder head.
All those TSBs started showing around the time of the CD recall in 2019 and till 2021. There were cars that had fallen rocker arms, noisy lifters, etc.
May be Mazda redesigned the cyl head with all the internals inside (thats what the TSB is about) but never officially said anything about cracked heads. If it is indeed a more widespread issue ..it was kind of swept under the rug

indeed and its worth mentioning that all the TSBs for the non-turbo model dont seem to mention cracked cylinder head.
All those TSBs started showing around the time of the CD recall in 2019 and till 2021. There were cars that had fallen rocker arms, noisy lifters, etc.
May be Mazda redesigned the cyl head with all the internals inside (thats what the TSB is about) but never officially said anything about cracked heads. If it is indeed a more widespread issue ..it was kind of swept under the rug

Good points. Timeline makes sense. When CD came out & I read about the complexities of it, I wanted nothing to do with it as the tech was too new and too complicated. Hence why I bought a 2017 instead of the 2018.

Mazda didn't want ant bad PR so it kept it quiet.

Thanks for this. It’s not so much a new cylinder head but it’s only as good as the mechanic that fits it. I cringe at some of the things I see on YouTube done by so called professionals. Not only that but I don’t really want a reworked new car. I’ve cancelled my order on a 2.5 AWD, not specifically for this but my situation has changed and I’ll go for an energy efficient hybrid Yaris Cross. This just makes me feel better about doing it.

Raised hand here for cracked cylinder head on 2018 CX-5. Currently with the mazda dealer while i decide if i am going to swallow the cost.

Does the TSB offer any recourse for me or is it just Mazda releasing them to cover themselves for newer purchases. I.e ts for me, should have seen the bulletin when i bought the car in the 2019.

Raised hand here for cracked cylinder head on 2018 CX-5. Currently with the mazda dealer while i decide if i am going to swallow the cost.

Does the TSB offer any recourse for me or is it just Mazda releasing them to cover themselves for newer purchases. I.e ts for me, should have seen the bulletin when i bought the car in the 2019.
The TSB is basically an informative whats wrong and how to fix. You are clearly within 5 year period but whether they will fix for free depends on how many miles over warranty you are, and their goodwill feeling. Based on other forum members posts, you can try to see if Mazda will goodwill. Some have been lucky and had partial or fully covered. Others not so lucky having to pay full repair cost. You can also file a report with the NHTSA which if enough are recieved may force a recall and/or reimbursement.
Lastly you could speak to a lawyer.
The BBB is a waste of time so don't waste time there.

As far as repairs, see if Mazda will cover it first, if not, you could get the cylinder head replaced by your local mechanic. Or if the engine is toast, then get a salvage engine, or reman engine and have it installed by local mechanic or engine shop which would save on labor.

Last edited:
The TSB is basically an informative whats wrong and how to fix. You are clearly within 5 year period but whether they will fix for free depends on how many miles over warranty you are, and their goodwill feeling. Based on other forum members posts, you can try to see if Mazda will goodwill. Some have been lucky and had partial or fully covered. Others not so lucky having to pay full repair cost. You can also file a report with the NHTSA which if enough are recieved may force a recall and/or reimbursement.
Lastly you could speak to a lawyer.
The BBB is a waste of time so waste time there.

Ask far as repairs, see if Mazda will cover it first, if not, you could get a salvage engine, or reman engine and have it installed by local mechanic or engine shop which would save on labor.
Whats the 5 year period? I thought the manufacturer warranty was 3 years. FYI i am based in Ireland and bought the car in the UK. Previously that would not have been an issue but now Mazda are claiming since brexit they are separate entities and i dont qualify for any goodwill.

BBB?

Whats the 5 year period? I thought the manufacturer warranty was 3 years. FYI i am based in Ireland and bought the car in the UK. Previously that would not have been an issue but now Mazda are claiming since brexit they are separate entities and i dont qualify for any goodwill.

BBB?
Whoops. In US there's a 3 year bumper to bumper whole car warranty and a 5 year engine /transmission warranty. Even though your on Europe, check and make sure you may have a 5 year powertrain warranty on the engine.

We have a BBB, better business bureau which doesn't do anything and is basically funded for by the corporations, hence no results on complaints.

See if you have an equivalent country safety board which will take compliant like our NHTSA.

If it was me and uncovered, i would try to find a local mechanic or engine shop who can fix you're cylinder head. If the engine has been ruined then I may get a reman or salvage engine put in.

Whoops. In US there's a 3 year bumper to bumper whole car warranty and a 5 year engine /transmission warranty. Even though your on Europe, check and make sure you may have a 5 year powertrain warranty on the engine.

We have a BBB, better business bureau which doesn't do anything and is basically funded for by the corporations, hence no results on complaints.

See if you have an equivalent country safety board which will take compliant like our NHTSA.

If it was me and uncovered, i would try to find a local mechanic or engine shop who can fix you're cylinder head. If the engine has been ruined then I may get a reman or salvage engine put in.
Thanks. WIll check the extended warranty stuff for Europe. We have a Motor Insurance Bureau in Ireland where a % of everyones car insurance premium funds it i beleive. I think that is more for insurance claims. This might be more consumer based. WIll do some more research.

In my case when the warning first appeared and i pulled over i checked and saw the coolant level was very low. I have asked the service dept in the mazda dealer is this part of the cause and why did a warning not come on to give me some kind of heads up. And if the coolant level was already low and no leak then why did they not spot this on the recent service.

Thanks. WIll check the extended warranty stuff for Europe. We have a Motor Insurance Bureau in Ireland where a % of everyones car insurance premium funds it i beleive. I think that is more for insurance claims. This might be more consumer based. WIll do some more research.

In my case when the warning first appeared and i pulled over i checked and saw the coolant level was very low. I have asked the service dept in the mazda dealer is this part of the cause and why did a warning not come on to give me some kind of heads up. And if the coolant level was already low and no leak then why did they not spot this on the recent service.
Your manual and paperwork you got with the car should advise how long the powertrain engine and transmission warranty is and whether it's a 5 yr/60000 mile.

Good luck with everything.

If the cylinder head crack and coolant leak just started and the engine hasn't been damaged, then you could just have a new head installed.

Is it a turbo model engine or na cylinder deactivation engine and how many miles/km ?

Also maybe get a second opinion from a trusted local mechanic as to what's wrong and how bad it is, f.i. if just the head needs replaced or if the whole engine is burnt.
Change the oil and get it towed there if you're having a local do the work.

Last edited:
Your manual and paperwork you got with the car should advise how long the powertrain engine and transmission warranty is and whether it's a 5 yr/60000 mile.

Good luck with everything.

If the cylinder head crack and coolant leak just started and the engine hasn't been damaged, then you could just have a new head installed.

Is it a turbo model engine or na cylinder deactivation engine and how many miles/km ?

Also maybe get a second opinion from a trusted local mechanic as to what's wrong and how bad it is, f.i. if just the head needs replaced or if the whole engine is burnt.
Change the oil and get it towed there if you're having a local do the work.
Mazda service dept saying it is just the head needs replacing. Approx 80000 miles on it. It is not the turbo model, not sure if it is the other model either, it is a Mazda Cx-5 2.0 Se-L Nav 165ps.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Mazda service dept saying it is just the head needs replacing. Approx 80000 miles on it. It is not the turbo model, not sure if it is the other model either, it is a Mazda Cx-5 2.0 Se-L Nav 165ps.

Yw.

It appears its not a turbo nor a diesel. It is a 2.0 liter naturally aspirated engine that does not appear to have cylinder deactivation that was sold in Europe.

So now we have:
turbo engines(CX-5 and CX-9), American 2.5 NA cylinder deactivation engines (CX-5),
and Europe 2.0 NA engines(CX-5) with cracked cylinder heads.
So it appears to be systemic across the whole line.

Hoping Mazda would address these defective engines at no cost to customer as my own is a 2018 CX-5 NA.

Good luck. Hope they can at least make the head, gaskets and parts available to you at cost or half-price.

Hmm. Take note, friends, this is neither a turbo nor the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. For anecdotal hair-on-fire types with other engines, perhaps you should tear into your engine and check the thickness of your cylinder head. :rolleyes:

Hi, I have a 2018 CX-5 25k miles with the same issue. Cracked cylinder head. Mazda had it 3 week. Got it back for a day and had to bring it back. They had it for another week got it back. Yesterday I noticed a lot more leaking than before and that same burning smell. Mazda is having it towed back to them today. Has anyone actually had theirs fixed?

Hi, I have a 2018 CX-5 25k miles with the same issue. Cracked cylinder head. Mazda had it 3 week. Got it back for a day and had to bring it back. They had it for another week got it back. Yesterday I noticed a lot more leaking than before and that same burning smell. Mazda is having it towed back to them today. Has anyone actually had theirs fixed?
It might help if you can post pictures of whatever paperwork they gave you. Just cover your personal information, before taking the pics.

It might help if you can post pictures of whatever paperwork they gave you. Just cover your personal information, before taking the pics.
I think you'd want to know which engine. There were 4 globally in 2018.

I think you'd want to know which engine. There were 4 globally in 2018.
But there’s only one engine, the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation for the 2018 CX-5 in the US. And we’ve seen too many reports about this problem everywhere.

But there’s only one engine, the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation for the 2018 CX-5 in the US. And we’ve seen too many reports about this problem everywhere.
Well, you tell me which engine DebQ has. That's the vehicle in question.. She didn't say where she bought it. Funny--she put a like on my post but didn't answer the question. I know you'd like all engine issues to be related to CD but that is not necessarily case.

Back