Starter issue?

Need a little insight, 2010 CX9, 3.7 eng, 155000 miles. Issue I’m having is, first start up of the day it starts like a top, as the engine heats up(running approximately 20 min -1/2 hour), 2nd start up is labored(sounds like a bad battery), Battery numbers are;
-Resting 12.7
- while cranking 10.8
-Once running 14.5( alt. Seems to be charging)
Had the battery tested at auto store/ load tested, everything looked good, I was told it could be corrosion on the starter wires, cleaned up starter connections, tested voltage to starter-12.7 resting, did anyone ever run into this with any car? Digging on the internet I found some possibilities, one being that heat from the engine over time solidifies the grease in the starter, now I may see that happening but, first start of the day starts fine, actually starts fine again after engine cools down, sorry this is so long but trying to be descriptive where it helps
Thanks in advance..

Just because the battery voltage looks good does not mean it is good under a full load. !0.8 seems low to me. You need to make sure is was tested under a full load. Do you have another vehicle you could use to jump start it and see? Ed

Upvote 0
Just because the battery voltage looks good does not mean it is good under a full load. !0.8 seems low to me. You need to make sure is was tested under a full load. Do you have another vehicle you could use to jump start it and see? Ed
I will bring it to another auto parts and try them( the one I brought it to was the one I purchased the battery from)to see any discrepancies,Thx

Upvote 0
Sounds like a starter issue. Could do a load test, but would need to warm it up first, so might be tricky to do.
I’m leaning starter issue myself,I just can’t get past the fact that on initial startup it’s great, I will warm it up and try another load test at different auto parts store, thx

Upvote 0
What do you mean by 2nd startup is labored ? Does it crank slowly, or does it crank fine but takes a long time for the engine to fire ?

If it is the second option i would guess something with the fuel system, maybe a fuel pump.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by 2nd startup is labored ? Does it crank slowly, or does it crank fine but takes a long time for the engine to fire ?

If it is the second option i would guess something with the fuel system, maybe a fuel pump.
Yeah, 2nd it cranks like the battery is very weak(slowly), almost to the point of just a click, again though, I’ve checked the resting voltage( just before second start) 12.7/12.8, cranking 10.8
(as low as 10.5), than running 14+(lights on, A/C on)

Upvote 0
-Resting 12.7
-Once running 14.5

Shows that the charging system is OK.

My vote is with a worn out starter motor. Heat will harden grease, but it'll be the same all day, maybe even harder in the cool morning.

Upvote 0
-Resting 12.7
-Once running 14.5

Shows that the charging system is OK.

My vote is with a worn out starter motor. Heat will harden grease, but it'll be the same all day, maybe even harder in the cool morning.
That’s where I’m leaning, although I agree weird as in the morning one would assume if the grease is solidified, the initial start would be labored. I had the battery tested again today and numbers were pretty much the same…I guess the next step is to pull the starter, Thanks All, appreciate the thoughts and input.

Upvote 0
Back