Autogefühl drives and reviews new Mazda CX-60 PHEV

I wasn’t sure about the exterior styling when it was first revealed, but I think it looks fantastic in this spec! The interior looks great too, and I love the new digital instrument cluster. Performance looks very strong, and of course being a PHEV it will have very low running costs.

It was interesting (and a little disappointing) to hear the reviewer say to stick with the CX-5 if you wanted a sportier driving feel, but I think overall this will make an excellent replacement for our CX-5 GT Turbo when it arrives in Australia later this year.

I wasn’t sure about the exterior styling when it was first revealed, but I think it looks fantastic in this spec! The interior looks great too, and I love the new digital instrument cluster. Performance looks very strong, and of course being a PHEV it will have very low running costs.

It was interesting (and a little disappointing) to hear the reviewer say to stick with the CX-5 if you wanted a sportier driving feel, but I think overall this will make an excellent replacement for our CX-5 GT Turbo when it arrives in Australia later this year.
Australia might be the only place that Mazda makes all four SUVs available....
*might*, that is.

1651009474273.png

Yes although I imagine there would be a lot of overlap if they offered all four here, especially when you consider we also get both the CX-8 and CX-9 as well. It might make more sense to bring just the CX-60, CX-80 and CX-90 which could act like a premium range to the CX-5, CX-8 and CX-9.

Did I miss it or was there not much discussion on the new RWD architecture? Also, the discussion seemed rather limited on the 8 speed transmission as well.

If one wants to know more, here is a good read.

Did I miss it or was there not much discussion on the new RWD architecture? Also, the discussion seemed rather limited on the 8 speed transmission as well.
Maybe it is because CX-60 will not be available in US, and CX-70 will come in 2023. The CX-90 will come by end of 2022 if it is not delayed at all.

I feel like they took the best design elements from the cx5 while looking totally different. The roof line and how it curves into the rear window and the back from a side view look similar. Also, the rear doors fully opened it just looked like the same shape somehow. Really good looking vehicle tbh

If one wants to know more, here is a good read.

Maybe it is because CX-60 will not be available in US, and CX-70 will come in 2023. The CX-90 will come by end of 2022 if it is not delayed at all.

Yeah, it is interesting, but I was hoping for some insight into the new RWD architecture and how the ride changed. I personally can't wait for the CX-70, which I am thinking of trading my CX-9 in for (if I don't trade it for something else).

It's a wet clutch DCT per the video, as best I can tell.
Obviously it's RWD architecture as you note, but what I really think you want to know is about the transfer case and diffs and the split appropriation logic and capacity.

I am definitely watching for the CX70, and may very well trade my RDX for it. I love my RDX, and am glad I got it over a CX5 turbo, but the CX70 will just offer "more" of everything, all around, and will be a return to Made in Japan, which I am a huge proponent of.

This was the most frustrating part of the video IMO. He brings up the new 8 speed, specifically mentions that it "feels weird" and is unlike any other transmission he has experienced, then moves on and doesn't elaborate or explain those comments at all.

I assume he is not just talking about the ways that a DCT can feel odd compared to a traditional automatic because I'm sure he has driven plenty of vehicles with DCTs.

We don't even know if it feels different in a good or a bad way.

On the positive side, the full throttle acceleration pull looked pretty darn impressive. It seems to limit power in first gear and clearly shifted very early which is definitely a thing on modern cars with a lot of low end torque available, but man once it hooked up in second it was pulling hard. Choosing between the PHEV and the gas inline-6 will probably be mostly about fuel economy and preference. I suspect there won't be much if any real difference in performance between the two as far as pure acceleration goes.

On the positive side, the full throttle acceleration pull looked pretty darn impressive. It seems to limit power in first gear and clearly shifted very early which is definitely a thing on modern cars with a lot of low end torque available, but man once it hooked up in second it was pulling hard. Choosing between the PHEV and the gas inline-6 will probably be mostly about fuel economy and preference. I suspect there won't be much if any real difference in performance between the two as far as pure acceleration goes.
I noticed this too. The engine had quite the growl. My heart wants the in-line 6 but my head says the hybrid is more in line with my commute

Hopefully the can improve the shifts for the 8-speed auto.

The CX-60’s new automatic transmission shuns a traditional torque-converter configuration in favour of a multi-plate clutch - a set-up that brings benefits in packaging along with a 22 per cent drop in energy losses, Mazda claims. It doesn’t feel the smoothest, though, with a bit of judder when it starts juggling the different power sources and jumping up and down ratios.

In our car, the seven-speed automatic gearbox felt a little jerky on downshifts, however, while the brakes could’ve done with a little added bite – but we expect these to be refined by the time the car hits the market.

I bet the PHEV is faster, honestly.

When you factor in the PHEV tax credit as well(in the US), it seems like the inline-6 might be a tough sell, ironically enough.

When you factor in the PHEV tax credit as well(in the US), it seems like the inline-6 might be a tough sell, ironically enough.
Definitely. It's going to have to really be a step above, to sell. My RAV4 Prime was an absolute monster for power, although it had a lot more torque than this CX60. It would crush stuff like WRX and would hang with brand new base Camaro. Monster. Just terrible AWD.

I'm wondering if the transmission complaints aren't being fueled by issues with the transition in and out of electric power from the hybrid system. I still have some hope that the transmission itself will be good paired with the inline-6, but it seems like the majority of these DCTs everybody is switching to have refinement issues with taking off smoothly and low speed clunkiness. I'm currently driving a DCT equipped car and it's the worst transmission I've ever experienced, so it immediately became a concern when news came out that the CX-60 would have one.

I'm wondering if the transmission complaints aren't being fueled by issues with the transition in and out of electric power from the hybrid system. I still have some hope that the transmission itself will be good paired with the inline-6, but it seems like the majority of these DCTs everybody is switching to have refinement issues with taking off smoothly and low speed clunkiness. I'm currently driving a DCT equipped car and it's the worst transmission I've ever experienced, so it immediately became a concern when news came out that the CX-60 would have one.

Actually, I demoed one of the new Santa Fe's and that transmission was terrible. It felt like 8 versions of an old Chevy 3 speed.

Back