From 17” Wheels To 19” Wheels

While I was trying out the different Mazdas CX-5’s I noticed the ones with the 19” wheels sat higher which for health
reasons I truly appreciated.
Question is this has anyone gone from 17” to 19” and if yes was there a significant change in gas mileage.
Thanks in advance.

There is a slight difference in gas mileage.

I went from 19" rims to 17" rims(soon to be 16") and got better gas mileage. I forget exact figures it in my other thread/posts somewhere.

My move to 17" and soon to be 16 inch was mainly for ride/comfort, increased acceleration, and off-roading.

At the point you are wondering about saving pennies in gas mileage, you are better off getting a Toyota RAV4 hybrid gas/electric or pure electric vehicle.

As far as height, 19 inch barely makes a difference in height to be of any use.

My current plans are to raise suspension and get running boards for easier entry.

Also different year cx5 have different ground clearances.. some are lower /higher. Most likely not the tires but the year that you notice

There is a slight difference in gas mileage.

I went from 19" rims to 17" rims(soon to be 16") and got better gas mileage. I forget exact figures it in my other thread/posts somewhere.

My move to 17" and soon to be 16 inch was mainly for ride/comfort, increased acceleration, and off-roading.

At the point you are wondering about saving pennies in gas mileage, you are better off getting a Toyota RAV4 hybrid gas/electric or pure electric vehicle.

As far as height, 19 inch barely makes a difference in height to be of any use.

My current plans are to raise suspension and get running boards for easier entry.

Also different year cx5 have different ground clearances.. some are lower /higher. Most likely not the tires but the year that you notice
Thanks good luck finding hybrids at this point and I’m averaging 27mpg so that’s not too shabby

Sometimes the listed height differences between the 17" and 19" sizes are even greater due to whether the tire pressures have been adjusted after transport. It's common for new vehicles to have overinflated tires, so the ride height difference between a properly adjusted 17" tire and an overinflated 19" tire could be significant enough for anyone to notice.

Sometimes the listed height differences between the 17" and 19" sizes are even greater due to whether the tire pressures have been adjusted after transport. It's common for new vehicles to have overinflated tires, so the ride height difference between a properly adjusted 17" tire and an overinflated 19" tire could be significant enough for anyone to notice.
I would think an over inflated 17" would show a bigger difference than an over inflated 19". There's more sidewall to expand on the 17's.

I changed from 17" to 19" early January. I'm unsure of any fuel mileage change, but tire selection makes much more difference than wheel diameter. I switched to an A/T tire, too. Logically, larger diameter wheels and shorter sidewalls that flex less should return higher fuel mileage.

There was no detectable change in ride height.

2016 and older had 8.5 inch ground clearance.

2017 and newer are 7.5 inch ground clearance.

Hence why I need to raise mine.

We have a 2013 Mazda cx-5 sport with the 17inch wheels and a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT with 19inch wheels. All am gonna say is that when I change the oil on both of them. I can crawl under both of them without a jack and change oil with wheels on the ground for both. But the 2016 GT with the 19inch wheels has a lot more ground clearance then the 2013 with 17 inch wheels. You have to really look too see the 2016 is like a Inch or 2 higher then then 2013.

A few observations: 16 17 18 or 19 inch rims technically shouldn't make any difference to the ride height. Any difference should come from the tire size/circumference.
If you are switching rim sizes, it's always a good idea to try and keep the tire circumference as close to the same as possible. Too much difference can mess up your speedo readings among other things. You also want to be careful about clearance inside the wheel well. Too big and your tire could rub on the wheel opening under certain conditions.
As for ride quality, I can only give you my personal experience with the car. I have 19 inch summer rims, and 17 inch winter rims with snow tires. The 17 inchers are smoother, and absorb bumps much better. The 19's look better, but also have a harsher ride.

A few observations: 16 17 18 or 19 inch rims technically shouldn't make any difference to the ride height. Any difference should come from the tire size/circumference.
If you are switching rim sizes, it's always a good idea to try and keep the tire circumference as close to the same as possible. Too much difference can mess up your speedo readings among other things. You also want to be careful about clearance inside the wheel well. Too big and your tire could rub on the wheel opening under certain conditions.
As for ride quality, I can only give you my personal experience with the car. I have 19 inch summer rims, and 17 inch winter rims with snow tires. The 17 inchers are smoother, and absorb bumps much better. The 19's look better, but also have a harsher ride.
Thanks and the ride is important…..👍🏾

I'm not planning on doing any swapping but am curious about how much of a difference there would be between sizing as far as speedo accuracy goes. I know the higher sidewalls on the 17's will help minimize the change in the tire's actual circumference but it seems even a small change would throw things off. When I went to a slightly different tire size on my motorcycle the change in accuracy was significant, like reading 5 MPH low at 70 MPH or so.

I'm thinking more about things like the odo and MPG calculations than the actual speed readout.

Anyone have a clue?

I'm not planning on doing any swapping but am curious about how much of a difference there would be between sizing as far as speedo accuracy goes. I know the higher sidewalls on the 17's will help minimize the change in the tire's actual circumference but it seems even a small change would throw things off. When I went to a slightly different tire size on my motorcycle the change in accuracy was significant, like reading 5 MPH low at 70 MPH or so.

I'm thinking more about things like the odo and MPG calculations than the actual speed readout.

Anyone have a clue?
There are a million tire size calculators on the internet. If you change sizes properly, the difference is pretty much nonexistent.

Anyone have a clue?
There are a dozen or more factors that come into play for MPG that are alot more important than tire size.

Gross vehicle weight, unsprung weight, rim weight, Tire weight, (hard rubber & stiffer sidewall = better rolling resistance but less grip) and vehicle speed(55 to 65 mph) affect MPG alot more than a slight difference in tire size.

For instance, a 245 65r17 lightweight tire/rim combo with low roll resistance tire will get alot better gas mileage than a 225 55r19 heavier combo that has a crappy roll resistance tire.

The slight difference in tire diameter/height should have minimal effect on MPG.

As for odometer, as mentioned in previous post above, there are many calculators on internet.

Going from a stock 225 55r19 to a 245 65r17 would increase height by almost an inch but only change speedometer reading by 2 mph where a 72 mph speed would only show as 70 mph on odometer.

Going from a stock 225 55r19 to a 245 65r17 would increase height by almost an inch but only change speedometer reading by 2 mph where a 72 mph speed would only show as 70 mph on odometer.
That was my question, not actual MPG but how accurately the car would calculate MPG and remaining miles in the tank. I don't think the rolling resistance would factor into the cars calculation since it's looking at fuel consumed over the actual distance travelled to come up with it's (somewhat questionable) MPG / remaining mileage display. On a per tank basis it doesn't amount to much for sure But if that approximately 2.8% lower MPH reading is linear across the board it seems like the odometer would read about 1350 miles low for every 50K miles traveled. Still not a big deal though.

But, if you went from a 225 55r19 to a 225 65r17 you would only be off by less than .6 mph at 70 (69.44). It's just under a quarter inch less in diameter, so makes a better match than the 245 17's.

I went from the 17" with 225/65/17s to 18" 235/60/18 and gained about .4"s over the 19" wheel option with 225/55/19 tires. I like the ride, look and the additional height/clearance

YMMV

Back