Blown rear shocks on a 2018 CX5 with only 28K miles!

Yes, and since Mazda admits these shocks are defective, and since blown shocks can affect stability when driving, I've filed a report with the NHTSA asking for a recall!

Everyone with a CX5 should inspect their rear shocks when on a lift, even if low miles, and file a report with the NHTSA if their shocks are leaking or weeping.

None at this time but that is only because the leak is just starting. But, if both rear shocks were completely gone, wouldn't that cause handling issues?

A shock absorber seeping oil might not qualify as a recall.

None at this time but that is only because the leak is just starting. But, if both rear shocks were completely gone, wouldn't that cause handling issues?

How do you know the leak is just starting? You have 28k miles and it could have started many miles ago.

I would imagine if this issue was widespread and caused a number of related traffic accidents the NHTSA would announce a recall. Yours has just a hint of what could amount to something in a few more years, about the time many will replace the shocks as routine maintenance.

True, but the potential for instability because of a defective part is there. I look at it this way, our CX5 has been recalled for a defective low flow fuel pump yet I have no issues. Many have more miles on their CX5s than I do and have no fuel pump issues. But they will all be replaced, just in case.

we have yet to see about the fuel pumps.
local dealer mentioned they would inspect it first and may not change :) but at the moment there are no parts available anyway.
And we dont know how many CX5 have failed so far. Logic is if they issued the recall (after more than 1 year since the fuel pump issue was reported) there are likely some that failed.
Probably same with the shocks. If leak is not big they leave it as it is.

That would be fine if they would inspect the rear shocks at no charge and then replace only if needed.

Sure, can ask the dealer to check them for diagnostics charge I am sure! What I'm gonna do is get the next oil change at the dealer and ask them to look while they are changing the oil.

Today I had an oil change at my local shop and they found that one of the rear shocks was leaking oil! Our 2018 CXR 5 has only 28K miles and is out of warrantee as of this past summer.

Has anyone heard of shocks failing so soon? Any suggestions or ideas?
I hve just discovered the same issue, leaking shocks on 2018 CX5 with less than 20K Miles on it, contacting corporate to get it fixed even though out of warrenty

I hve just discovered the same issue, leaking shocks on 2018 CX5 with less than 20K Miles on it, contacting corporate to get it fixed even though out of warrenty
Please post a f/u with what Mazda says. I still have not addressed my leaking shocks. Waiting for the next oil change, which I'll do at the dealer this time.

Update: Wanted to add an update here too in case anyone is in this same situation and comes across this thread.

I checked with someone who is a professional mechanic and not looking to sell anything. He suggested that the shocks should be replaced since weeping is a sign of failure, no matter what the Mazda TSB states.

Recently got new tires and did not want failing shocks to cause odd wear. I checked about the issue with camber that was mentioned above (had slightly more wear on the inside of the old tires) but it seems camber cannot be adjusted on the rear of our CX5s. Anyone hear that too?

Anyway, had the rears replaced yesterday....price was all over the place....Private shop $515, Meineke $444, and Mavis $270. Went with Mavis (Monroe shocks...hope that was not a mistake!)

Service writer at Mavis said the OEM shocks were shot (now at 32K miles)...leaking and soft. Why Mazda would use inferior shocks in our CX5s is beyond me.

CX5 seems to ride better, and the rear is up a little higher. With the new tires and rear shocks, it feels and sounds like a new car! All the road noise from the Toyo OEM tires is gone!

Today I had an oil change at my local shop and they found that one of the rear shocks was leaking oil! Our 2018 CXR 5 has only 28K miles and is out of warrantee as of this past summer.

Has anyone heard of shocks failing so soon? Any suggestions or ideas?
Our 2018 CX5 had both rear shocks replaced at 8,000 miles. There were no similar incidents I could find online at the time. Now I see it’s a real issue. I heard and felt a different bumping from the rear then stuck my head under rear bumper and noticed maybe 8 inches of fluid weeping down. Took to dealer and was replaced under warranty no problem. However, now we have the spider cracking and ghost touch issue on the infotainment screen. Warranty has run out. Happy days.

However, now we have the spider cracking and ghost touch issue on the infotainment screen. Warranty has run out. Happy days.
That's a shame, however Mazda now offers a repair kit to fix that issue by replacing the screen, much cheaper than replacing the whole display unit.

Details and kit part# in this SA:

Attachments

• SA-041-22.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
Our 2018 CX5 had both rear shocks replaced at 8,000 miles. There were no similar incidents I could find online at the time. Now I see it’s a real issue. I heard and felt a different bumping from the rear then stuck my head under rear bumper and noticed maybe 8 inches of fluid weeping down. Took to dealer and was replaced under warranty no problem. However, now we have the spider cracking and ghost touch issue on the infotainment screen. Warranty has run out. Happy days.
8,000 miles! Yikes. Glad you had it covered by the warranty!

Wonder why the screens are failing? Heat?

Back