PSA - Mazda looking for navigation SD cards?

So from the looks of it, these vendors copy genuine Navigation SD cards and sell them online. Or they deciphered the algorithm that creates the internal ID, and they copy the looks of the real card.

As you need to insert the card in the car first, I assume the car does the check to see if the card is genuine. The car does an offline check and approves the card.
And when you update, there are two possibilities:
1) If they copy genuine SD cards, you don't see any issues as long as you're the first one to update a card with that ID.
2) If they create their own "working" internal IDs, Mazda Toolbox doesn't compare the internal ID to a database containing all IDs when updating, so updates go through. Every now and then someone at Mazda or NNG does a manual check and flag the invalid serial numbers they can find.

Either way, it seems like not everyone gets these warning notices so it's a deterrent more than anything. However, I've heard stories of VINs getting locked out, but that would mean that the car does an online check when you install a new card. Perhaps it only locks the card, and only when you attempt to update the map. Confusing.

Mazda uses a white-label version of iGO for navigation, and I find that to be really funny as it shares so much in design with the iGO I had installed on my HP PDA back in 2008. NNG, the company behind the program, makes quite a lot of money from these navigation solutions. NNG has iGO for iOS devices and the North American map only costs $29.99 -- and it has free updates. I doubt it'll happen anytime soon, but they should switch to a modular map system where the infotainment updates parts of the map that need updating.

1648061832258.png

Indeed. Your '22 CX9 GT should come with the GPS SD card.

When I drove my '16 Mazda6 home from dealer, I found the GPS SD card missing.
I went back to dealership and asked my salesman for it.
He gave me the same excuse.... they did it to avoid it being stolen by test-drivers.

For '22 CX5, though, only Turbo-Signature has it as standard.
For S Premium Plus, it is optional.
I bought a SD card online and plugged it into my Turbo model (not Signature, one model below).
It works as expected .... sign recognition, GPS, more info in the dash, the whole nine yards.

There must be a cut off date that all previously purchased counterfeit cards are "grandfathered" in because I purchased a card on Amazon as well in 2019. I updated my map last week using Mazda Toolbox and it updated just fine, no lockout.
So is it safe to update now? Latest map is:

version: Map of North America
2021 Q2 22CW02 (November 2021)

Release: March 2022

Yes, it's safe. Worst case scenario they deny your upgrade. They cannot take the chance of bricking your card.

Got a SD card off of amazon as well. Installed it, let it work to configure itself to the car, then removed it to update. It looked like the updater crashed the first time but the 2nd time it went through without any issues. Easiest 50 dollar investment for a true sat nav system to be used as a backup for when out of cell range.

Got a SD card off of amazon as well. Installed it, let it work to configure itself to the car, then removed it to update. It looked like the updater crashed the first time but the 2nd time it went through without any issues. Easiest 50 dollar investment for a true sat nav system to be used as a backup for when out of cell range.
It's worth having for the cross street thing alone. Love that feature. And nearly everyone comments on it. And if you care about resale why wouldn't you add it for $50? ;)

It's worth having for the cross street thing alone. Love that feature. And nearly everyone comments on it. And if you care about resale why wouldn't you add it for $50? ;)
It's just too bad it can't hold a candle to Google or Apple Maps. They're just updated way faster and are way more accurate.

Glad I came across this now, car is in the shop for SI, told them to look at my NAV unit which quit a few months ago, corrupted sd card. Options were apple Play installation at $395 or a new SD card. Checking to see if the card is covered under my extended warranty which would still be $100 deductible. Think I'll try the $50 Amazon card first.

Damn, that Mazda card is $399 with a $26 installation fee, labor rate must be $5 a minute, lol.

Damn, that Mazda card is $399 with a $26 installation fee, labor rate must be $5 a minute, lol.

You need to be factory trained to pull that lil flap open and push the card into the slot man!

Just imagine all of the things that could go wrong without training. As an example, a woman could break a nail trying to open the flap, did you think of that? ;)

You need to be factory trained to pull that lil flap open and push the card into the slot man!

Just imagine all of the things that could go wrong without training. As an example, a woman could break a nail trying to open the flap, did you think of that? ;)
Or accidentally dropping the removed SD card under the seat & having to reach into the petrified French fries to retrieve it.

Or accidentally dropping the removed SD card under the seat & having to reach into the petrified French fries to retrieve it.

You're right! Only a trained professional should attempt installation.

Knowledge is the power to save money.

I once gave my boss a ride to pick up his MB E-class. He had all four tires replaced at a MB dealership. I asked "how much?" on the way. He said, "only $4k".... I shut up. He probably makes 5X than I do. Who am I to comment on how he spends his money. Dealers make good livings from customers like him. Rich people focus on making more money than spending less.

Last edited:
Just got my Amazon card, worked right off the bat. I was surprised all my favorite locations were restored. I thought that would've been something that was save on the card. Anyway, saved myself $50.

It was mentioned some time ago that almost all cards on ebay and amazon are pirated but nobody believed back then.
As far as we have seen reports it was possible for those to be updated before but since the sale and cloning became so widespread eventually. Mazda (and the Map creator/vendor) it seems figured out a way to block those along with the cars VINs. So now if an update is tried it seems it locks your account and map card cannot be uipdated as well.
Kind of similar happened with the Infotainment updates. They are paid service. Thus the reason why all free downloads were taken offline by Mazda request.
...I am looking for SD card with East Europe maps for Mazda 3 (2011) for multipourpes screen

Back