Replace rear brake pads and Rotors @40,000 Miles?

I'm pretty sure brakes make a screeching noise when there is metal on metal from completely worn pads.

I gotta say it sure is nice to have tools and knowledge to do these things. Just 5 years ago I knew nothing about brakes!!!

When it's time to change my pads I'll gain this knowledge too. There's so much free information out there from people generous enough to share it (y)

There's so much free information out there from people generous enough to share it (y)
This is true, but my age, life experiences and the Debbie Downer in me suggests that you still need to be careful who you listen to and take advice from. Check, search as much as possible before proceeding.
As someone mentioned on here earlier, no two Youtube videos are the same, and many of those videos never mention maintenance mode. There are a lot of so called experts posting how-to videos that actually don't have a clue. Anyone can post a video taken in their garage and pass it off as knowledgeable information, when in reality, they are just winging it.

This is true, but my age, life experiences and the Debbie Downer in me suggests that you still need to be careful who you listen to and take advice from. Check, search as much as possible before proceeding.
As someone mentioned on here earlier, no two Youtube videos are the same, and many of those videos never mention maintenance mode. There are a lot of so called experts posting how-to videos that actually don't have a clue. Anyone can post a video taken in their garage and pass it off as knowledgeable information, when in reality, they are just winging it.

Absolutely, that is part of what I meant when I said that there is so much info out there. A single YouTube video isn't enough - but you can learn a lot from combing the comments section, searching discussion forums or social media communities, manufacturer's instructions/recommendations, etc. Sometimes it can be information overload, but generally you can find a resource and then find people or testimonials that validate what's being presented. At the end of the day, it's up to the person making sure that they do their due diligence.

Going by the official documentation is good to follow. The YouTube videos are sorta needed for newbies for more of a visual demo.

You first NEED the knowledge from official documentation to verify if said YouTube video deviates from the process.

1. Time investment. You have to read the official documentation. Analyze the various components for your brake system. Allocate excess time for doing the actual job, messing up on your steps, doing things the long way, ect. Learn the different types of grease and when/where to use them. Learn all ancillary tasks (lubing slides, brake fluid, ect.). Spend time shopping online or driving to he local car parts shop to get items needed.

2. Money. You have to pay for good tools to help you do your job. Car jacks, screwdrivers, brake caliper push tools, impact wrenches, hammers, ratchets, lighting, torque wrench, ect. Buying the actual brake component parts both primary and ancillary.

3. Technique. Learn how to work smart not hard. Learn how to use leverage. Learn how to use a torque wrench. Develop a system of prepping your work area so its well lit, clean, and safe. Learn when to use sheer force (hammering out stuck rusted rotors) vs using fine motor skills (carefully greasing the corners of brake pad backing plates).

Back