Replace rear brake pads and Rotors @40,000 Miles?

skinnerback

:
2017 CX-5 GT
At dealer for oil and filter change, tire rotation. Of course, they always try to up sell other service items needed or not...that's how they roll.... I was told among other things that the rear brake pads....now get this..... and the ROTORS need replaced with just 40,000 miles on them. Rotors replaced @ 40,000 miles? Really? Thoughts?

Thank you

No way. Unless they somehow got warped. And even then, they can still be turned to true them up.

>inb4 NEVER TURN ROTORS
That's not true at all. Mazda's own service manual clearly states that turning rotors is perfectly acceptable.

40,000 miles on rear brakes on your vehicle is perfectly normal. They wear out before the fronts.
My 2017 6 GT only has about 17,000 miles on it, and my rear rotors are shot already. They are garbage.
As for turning them, I still wouldn't do it. They are thin and cheap (inexpensive). Taking some material off them will only shorten the life even more. It would probably cost just as much to turn them (increased labour costs) as it would to replace them. Just throw new ones on there if you are going to replace the pads.

At dealer for oil and filter change, tire rotation. Of course, they always try to up sell other service items needed or not...that's how they roll.... I was told among other things that the rear brake pads....now get this..... and the ROTORS need replaced with just 40,000 miles on them. Rotors replaced @ 40,000 miles? Really? Thoughts?

Thank you
I recently moved from Eastern Massachusetts (18 miles from Boston) to the Western part of the state (Note: Giving up free every other oil change as part of the purchase agreement with the dealership I purchased the vehicle).
I had scratched my front bumper and got it repaired. The body shop strongly suggested I get the car calibrated to ensure all safety alerts, radar, etc. were working to spec. I made an appointment at the closest dealership 45 minutes away, and got oil changed, wheels aligned, and tires rotated. I also paid for the Mazda Connect firmware update for $44. (The dealership where I bought my 2017 CX-5 GT performed updates for free). This Western Mass dealership asked if my cruise control worked properly, I replied that it did and that all other alerts were in order. So they said no need for any calibration. Following service, however, with 22,500 miles on the car, they recommended - at the next service after 5000 miles - Quote: "Brake Pads (OEM) Rear - Replace; Machine Rotors." So, if 40,000 is an issue, approximately 27,500 in my case would be more of a concern.

Not unreasonable, depending on usage.

2016.5 CX-5 AWD, here, pre-owned. Recently had the front brakes done at a tad over 90Kmi. Will likely be doing the rear brakes in the next few months. And it's the second time brakes have been done on the car since new.

Not unreasonable, depending on usage.

2016.5 CX-5 AWD, here, pre-owned. Recently had the front brakes done at a tad over 90Kmi. Will likely be doing the rear brakes in the next few months. And it's the second time brakes have been done on the car since new.
I'm questioning the replacing of the rear rotors @40,000 miles not the rear pads. At what mileage did you replace your rear rotors?

A lot of variables involved and not enough information to conclude what the state of wear is. I can tell you my brakes last 100k miles + but your driving environment and style are likely totally different. It is very possible to need rotors replaced. But without actual measurements/data then you're just taking the tech's word for it. I'm sure there are specs for minimum thickness of pads (likely 1mm) and also rotors. (Stamped into the rotor)

What year is your cx5? Some year(s) (2106?) had issues with rear calipers hanging up. Are you having any pulsing issues? Vibrations? Does it drive normally?

When technicians tell me I need new brakes the first question I ask is "what did you measure the thickness to be?" Which usually is answered with something like "well, I didn't actually measure them but they'll need done soon". I do (most) all of my own work but it's entertaining to listen to the stealerships play their game.

I'm questioning the replacing of the rear rotors @40,000 miles not the rear pads. At what mileage did you replace your rear rotors?
Maybe remove the rear wheel and look at the rotors and the pads. If the rotors are severely rusty or pitted, or especially if warped, you could use new rotors.

You could take some pics and post them.

I had to replace rear the pads and rotors on my 2018 CX5 at about 30,000 km (19,000 miles). The independent shop I have been using for the past 5+ years showed me the parts out in garage while the car was on the hoist before replacing them, they were toast.

Yes, I know.

Car was owned by one person prior to me. He had the brakes' rotors+pads done before I bought the car at ~80Kmi. This past few months, I've done the front rotors+pads, and within the next 6mos I'll need to do the rear rotors+pads. So, by ~100Kmi it'll have had both the front and rear brakes' rotors+pads done twice.

Yes, I know.

Car was owned by one person prior to me. He had the brakes' rotors+pads done before I bought the car at ~80Kmi. This past few months, I've done the front rotors+pads, and within the next 6mos I'll need to do the rear rotors+pads. So, by ~100Kmi it'll have had both the front and rear brakes' rotors+pads done twice.
Thank you for the information

Rears are garbage. I had to have pads and rotors done in June of 2020 with only about ±50k kms. Which isn't terrible but the car was only 3 years old at the time.

Thank you
Our 2014 had to have the rears replaced about 20-25K miles, I cannot remember. We since gave the car to a family member, and there is about 55K miles on it, and rears need replacing again.

Our 2014 had to have the rears replaced about 20-25K miles, I cannot remember. We since gave the car to a family member, and there is about 55K miles on it, and rears need replacing again.
63k miles on my 16.5 GT. Took it to Brakes Plus for an alignment and had them do a brake check while it was there. They said rears were 65% and fronts were near 100%!

I do coast LOTS to hypermile, and downshift on all grades, but I’m very pleased with the secondary effects of limited brake wear.

My rear pads made it to 60k miles. I could have run them a little longer, but I had a good mechanic working on it and had him replace them.

Thank you
I eliminate external misinformation by checking the condition of the brakes myself. Its easy to do as long as you remove the wheel. There's window openings in the calipers to view the depth of the brake pads.

...There's window openings in the calipers to view the depth of the brake pads...

20211210_150558_HDR.jpg

When that channel / groove in the middle is all gone, you've got about 1mm remaining and time to replace :)

Outer pad you can lean your head in (you DO have it on jack stands, right? 🤔) and look with a flashlight.

20211210_151159_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I eliminate external misinformation by checking the condition of the brakes myself. Its easy to do as long as you remove the wheel. There's window openings in the calipers to view the depth of the brake pads.

View attachment 308855

When that channel / groove in the middle is all gone, you've got about 1mm remaining and time to replace :)

Outer pad you can lean your head in (you DO have it on jack stands, right? 🤔) and look with a flashlight.

View attachment 308857

This is how I check my brake pad life every time I swap to/from my winter wheel setup. Good ol' trusty eyeball.

This is how I check my brake pad life every time I swap to/from my winter wheel setup. Good ol' trusty eyeball.
Correct, upon rotating my wheels I do the pad inspection. Since the wheel is off I can even bleed my brakes and add new brake fluid (done every 3-4 years). Another thing I like to do while I have access to the calipers is to actually test how well they slide. Apply new silicone grease to the pins if needed.

- I gotta say it sure is nice to have tools and knowledge to do these things. Just 5 years ago I knew nothing about brakes!!!

Back