Anyone take the finish off Factory Wheels?

I would like to get them chromed or just take the finish off. Thoughts please, thanks.

E9D3B448-5F52-4198-AF3D-2759016DE772.jpeg

The finish is just paint I believe. You can have the wheels sandblasted and refinished in a different colour, or further prepped to be chrome-dipped after being sandblasted. But if you're going to go through all that trouble, it may be cheaper/easier to just buy a new set of wheels.

I personally like the finish they currently have.

Most likely redoing your wheels in chrome will be prohibitively expensive and may be difficult to find a local source for the work, due to environmental restrictions. It will also add considerable weight. Have you looked into respraying them with a faux chrome? Not nearly as shiny but it might get you close enough to the chrome finish at a reasonable price.

Sell them and use the $$ to buy a set you like.

Or if you really like the rim style then get them sandblasted and powder-coated somewhere.

Walnut blasting or
glass bead blasting is preferred.

Cut glass blasting might be a little too abrasive.

Some shops will want to use cut glass because it leave pits in the wheel for powder coat to adhere to as well as it is less costly /more profitable for them than other media blasting. But if the media is leaving pits, guaranteed it may be leaving micro-fissures/cracks in the metal as well.

Look around for a good shop that uses less abrasive blasting methods like glass bead or walnut, etc.

Powder-coat is a little more difficult.
Read my threads on powdercoat.

Most run high temp cure which alter/ weakens the wheel somewhat.

Finding a low temp cure especially a local one is proving difficult.

They are out there but you may have to parcel delivery them out of state with added shipping costs.

Some posters mentioned that the high temp cure may not weaken the wheel enough for it to be detrimental to normal highway commuter driving.

However I am concerned about offroad wheel failure.

You choice but at least make an informed
decisions.

I still may buy new rims that I want as the strength would not be compromised.

Last edited:
Most likely redoing your wheels in chrome will be prohibitively expensive and may be difficult to find a local source for the work, due to environmental restrictions. It will also add considerable weight. Have you looked into respraying them with a faux chrome? Not nearly as shiny but it might get you close enough to the chrome finish at a reasonable price.
I didn’t realize chrome would add weight thanks

If you really want to do this, Aircraft Remover will take the paint right off, no problem. Then you can polish them, make them shine.
Thanks sounds like the best option as someone stated chrome would add weight and added weight means reduced gas mileage 👍🏾

Your wheel may be powder coated? I would at least find out before jumping into the project.

To preference my experience with powder coating.. there is not a week that goes by that I don't send something to be powder-coated.! And this includes a few set of wheels each year.

Powder coating is not difficult to remove. If you know what you are doing. We use Aircraft paint remover as was mentioned earlier and it work jusssss fine!!!
Sand blasting a none steel wheel would never be my first choice for a number of reasons. DONT DO IT! Light media blasting and again as mentioned using none sand abrasives like walnut shell is far better on the alloy's.
Powder coating has never EVER shown to weaken a wheel. While there is no real proven direct evidence either way . I might add that there are dozens of OFF-ROAD shop all across the US that will often buy top brand wheel and have them powder coated for special POP sales. There has to the best of my knowledge any mention from reputable sources indicating a powder coated wheel Integrity may be reduced for having a wheel powder coated? Most all off road none steel wheels are powder coated or anodized.
Speaking off, anodizing this may be an option for you to consider along with your other choices. They do have a Nickel color and you can even get the wheels hard anodized . And here is a good point to support why powder coating does not hard a wheel. Hard anodizing removes less then a fraction of surface material which in most an cases can not be measured in the usual way. NO anodized wheel has ever been reported damaged from off road use or street even racing because of the process.

Powder coatings unlike a few decades ago now each have different temperature application recommendations from the manufactures of the powder coats. Find a powder coating shop that has experience powder coating wheels should you go that route.

Chrome DOES NOT ADD CONSIDERBLE WEIGHT... sorry but this one gets a rolling eye emo :rolleyes:
I literally on my none street SHOW 1967 Chevelle chromed every suspension including the rear end housing , almost everything but the engine block, re chromed ALL the factory chrome and NO it did not add "considerable weight to the car! hahahaha!@ Just when I almost thought I had read everything on forums.

There is new powder coat that looks very close to chrome.

What all this means is $$$$$$$ the best response I read is go shop for a new set of custom wheels that will personalize your MAZDA.

Your wheel may be powder coated? I would at least find out before jumping into the project.

To preference my experience with powder coating.. there is not a week that goes by that I don't send something to be powder-coated.! And this includes a few set of wheels each year.

Powder coating is not difficult to remove. If you know what you are doing. We use Aircraft paint remover as was mentioned earlier and it work jusssss fine!!!
Sand blasting a none steel wheel would never be my first choice for a number of reasons. DONT DO IT! Light media blasting and again as mentioned using none sand abrasives like walnut shell is far better on the alloy's.
Powder coating has never EVER shown to weaken a wheel. While there is no real proven direct evidence either way . I might add that there are dozens of OFF-ROAD shop all across the US that will often buy top brand wheel and have them powder coated for special POP sales. There has to the best of my knowledge any mention from reputable sources indicating a powder coated wheel Integrity may be reduced for having a wheel powder coated? Most all off road none steel wheels are powder coated or anodized.
Speaking off, anodizing this may be an option for you to consider along with your other choices. They do have a Nickel color and you can even get the wheels hard anodized . And here is a good point to support why powder coating does not hard a wheel. Hard anodizing removes less then a fraction of surface material which in most an cases can not be measured in the usual way. NO anodized wheel has ever been reported damaged from off road use or street even racing because of the process.

Powder coatings unlike a few decades ago now each have different temperature application recommendations from the manufactures of the powder coats. Find a powder coating shop that has experience powder coating wheels should you go that route.

Chrome DOES NOT ADD CONSIDERBLE WEIGHT... sorry but this one gets a rolling eye emo :rolleyes:
I literally on my none street SHOW 1967 Chevelle chromed every suspension including the rear end housing , almost everything but the engine block, re chromed ALL the factory chrome and NO it did not add "considerable weight to the car! hahahaha!@ Just when I almost thought I had read everything on forums.

There is new powder coat that looks very close to chrome.

What all this means is $$$$$$$ the best response I read is go shop for a new set of custom wheels that will personalize your MAZDA.

Thanks I watched a couple of YouTube vids using the aircraft remover pretty simple. I have looked at custom rims and the one place had I believe only 18’s and 19’s.
Got a quote of 900 to get my wheels chromed. I want to stick with my factory 17’s as it’s better for mileage also it would be quite unique being one of the few Mazda’s with tricked out factory wheels.
thanks

Thanks I watched a couple of YouTube vids using the aircraft remover pretty simple. I have looked at custom rims and the one place had I believe only 18’s and 19’s.
Got a quote of 900 to get my wheels chromed. I want to stick with my factory 17’s as it’s better for mileage also it would be quite unique being one of the few Mazda’s with tricked out factory wheels.
thanks
Before you do this, check with the business that's chroming.

Based on my experience with powder-coaters, some business won't touch rims and powder-coat unless the wheel was sandblasted(or media blasted, i.e. walnut, glass, etc.)

*** My use of sandblast is general in reference to all types of blast removal.

Some places wouldn't even do unless they do the blasting themselves to ensure complete control. Again this varies by owner.

Some would do the powder-coat but not guarantee the work unless they sandblasted.

Last thing you wanna do is spend all that time stripping the wheels and then need to get them blasted anyway.

as chroming is electroplate process, this might be same as powder-coat needing a complete virgin-like naked rim.

also, chrome adds three(3) thin layers of metal and thus will add weight to the vehicle, however negligible it may be.

Anyone who has owned the old chrome bikes versus steel bikes versus aluminum bikes can tell you there is a noticeable difference between all three.

However on a car, will it be noticable and enough to affect performance? That's your call.

Me, I've been reducing weight everywhere possible to gain better performance, acceleration and mileage.

but again the weight is probably negligible so that's your call.

Chrome probably adds several ounces to a few pounds per wheel.

Keep in mind this is adding unsprung weight to your vehicle and both bicycle enthusiast and car track enthusiast won't run chrome wheels for this reason as every ounce matters, especially during races. But if your not tracking the vehicle...

Maybe you could weigh the wheel before and after to let us know if the rim gained more than 1 pound and how much weight it gained ?

Last edited:
I highly recommend if you are going to Chrome them talk to the plater you are intending using before you do anything to the WHEEL.

Don't bother weighing before plating and after its ridiculous! :ROFLMAO: It takes at least 10lbs per wheel to make ANY notable difference and that is mostly if you sport drove the vehicle regarding the handling. Nothing will change to increase the MPG unless you start saving over 300+ lbs in the total vehicle weight. Its a pure MATH formula thing....taking into account so many factors its a waste of time when all you really need to do is drive no faster then 65mph.(after about 60mph the force of nature, aerodynamics starts to challenge all your efforts) Better at 55mph which was proven in the US years ago saving billions of gallons of fuel.

I think IMHO when I read where people are trying to increase their MPG they do not first understand how the sticker from the manufactures got their fuel usage rating?

Well you have a lot to think about. I personally am looking forward to seeing a set of FACTORY MAZDA WHEELS CHROMED! (y):cool:

I highly recommend if you are going to Chrome them talk to the plater you are intending using before you do anything to the WHEEL.

Don't bother weighing before plating and after its ridiculous! :ROFLMAO: It takes at least 10lbs per wheel to make ANY notable difference and that is mostly if you sport drove the vehicle regarding the handling. Nothing will change to increase the MPG unless you start saving over 300+ lbs in the total vehicle weight. Its a pure MATH formula thing....taking into account so many factors its a waste of time when all you really need to do is drive no faster then 65mph.(after about 60mph the force of nature, aerodynamics starts to challenge all your efforts) Better at 55mph which was proven in the US years ago saving billions of gallons of fuel.

I think IMHO when I read where people are trying to increase their MPG they do not first understand how the sticker from the manufactures got their fuel usage rating?

Well you have a lot to think about. I personally am looking forward to seeing a set of FACTORY MAZDA WHEELS CHROMED! (y):cool:
I’m going to see how the Airplane remover works if the wheel look good without anything else being done hey it’s LA we trick our cars out a little 👍🏾

After you strip the paint, get a Dremel with some polishing wheels and some rouge. After some work, they'll shine like you can't believe.

After you strip the paint, get a Dremel with some polishing wheels and some rouge. After some work, they'll shine like you can't believe.
(y)Yes and then he would need to clear coat them.
But polishing would look almost as good as chrome...not exactly but it would be a nice luster.

Most polishers would charge about 100-150 per wheel plus clear coating them say another 150 for all 4. (y)

You don't *have* to clear coat them, but if you don't, you'll have to polish them pretty regularly. Luckily, after the initial polish which is fairly labor intensive, the follow ups aren't nearly as hard.

Back