Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

Another data point - 4098 miles since the last oil change, oil level is down 1/3rd quart. Still looks pretty clean too. Combination of suburban, freeway and city driving, in that order.

I saw my dealer and they suggested they do an oil consumption test. They will change oil and mark the level on the dip stick. They seal the dipstick so on one can add or subtract oil. They recheck the oil level over XXX miles. At what mileage do they recheck the oil level? Ed

I've never heard of a specific test for oil consumption. I always record the date and mileage for each oil change amd reference.

For the first time in my life, I took advantage of the dealer free oil change. I mentioned again about the add oil light but, turned down their oil consumption test. They changed the oil and next morning I checked the oil level and found it to be 7/16" above the full hole. I have not reduced the oil level and probable won't. This may be the way the dealer is avoiding excessive oil usage claims?

There is an oil consumption test but, getting information is difficult. Rummer(sp) is that it is a 2,000-mile test but, nothing in writing. If they start the test with an overfill, then the test is Bogus anyway.

Mazda is working on the excess oil consumption issue according to the factory. I found the consumption test and if your vehicle doesn't exceed 1,200 miles per quart, you don't have a problem=BS in my opinion. Ed

Mazda is working on the excess oil consumption issue according to the factory. ...
The TSB from last year already mentioned a probable connection to valve stem seals, so I wonder what they're still 'working on'.

.... I found the consumption test and if your vehicle doesn't exceed 1,200 miles per quart, you don't have a problem=BS in my opinion. Ed
Based on the length of time that's elapsed since of the release of the TSB last year, I've been suspecting for some time that Mazda might just bail out by taking no action at all on this issue. And they seem to be confirming that by suggesting that anything even remotely close to a usage of 1.2 quarts per 1K miles is ok for a nearly new vehicle.

Yes, it's total BS, however Mazda is holding most of the high cards in this game. They can choose to call this level of oil usage normal and not make any repair, and there's no way to force them to do anything. About the only weapon an owner has is taking them to court, which is typically going to be a RPITA, with a crapshoot result. And given that this is not a safety issue, complaints to the NHTSA probably won't get much traction either. Perhaps something emissions-related, but that's probably a stretch as well.

Not a happy prospect at all on this, but I hope I'm wrong and Mazda eventually comes through for the owners.

Maybe you should sell the POS and buy a Toyota or Honda. Oh, wait…

We may not like it, but the fact is that many modern vehicles experience excessive oil consumption, with little recourse from most of the manufacturers. There may be hope for a new trend though: Jeep Cherokee Oil Consumption TSB/Recall

I'm still waiting on the "FIX" MAZDA
How much are you burning?
I just got a new 2.5T short block, changed the oil, added 5.2qt, drove 3500 miles, low oil light came on, added 0.2qt, and light went away. I want to say this is consistent with my old 2.5T. I think the light is just very sensitive.

there is oil level sensor and the reading/value is exposed through the obdii. Easier to monitor over a period of time using this way I guess.

Long term this "oil issue" is not good though and I hope Mazda comes with a permanent solution with the Turbo engine oil consumption.
My 2018 NA barely touches any oil for 3500-4000 miles and its with the thinner 0w20
but its not a Turbo.

My ‘15 doesn’t show anything noticeable either at 4-5K miles with 0w-20

My GX and G35x don’t consume anything noticeable on dipstick either.
My 2018 NA barely touches any oil for 3500-4000 miles and its with the thinner 0w20
but its not a Turbo.

Not a Mazda but.....my 2007 Duramax Diesel Turbo Charged has never needed
to be topped off in 230K mikes. OCI are less than 10k typically.
Just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back