Driving style question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
So I was talking to a sales guy who seems to know a good amount about cars while my cx5 was being serviced, and he said that it isn’t good to get rpms above 4k except for when needed. Is this true? I don’t constantly have it over 4k, but it’s fun to mash the gas a couple times on a drive (where it’s safe to). Should I stop flooring it except dire circumstances, or is this guy just too cautious? Thanks for any help, idk whether this guy is credible or not and i’ve been having lots of fun revving right up to redline manyyyy a times in my cx5’s 14k miles.

So I was talking to a sales guy who seems to know a good amount about cars while my cx5 was being serviced, and he said that it isn’t good to get rpms above 4k except for when needed. Is this true? I don’t constantly have it over 4k, but it’s fun to mash the gas a couple times on a drive (where it’s safe to). Should I stop flooring it except dire circumstances, or is this guy just too cautious? Thanks for any help, idk whether this guy is credible or not and i’ve been having lots of fun revving right up to redline manyyyy a times in my cx5’s 14k miles.
This is in warm weather and the NA engine btw

Only rev up when engine is warmed up (meaning oil reaches every parts in engine).
Revving a cold engine accelerates wear inside.
Other than that, engines need exercise too. (what I say to my wife when I drive with passion :D)
That is called "Italian tune-up".... you can look it up on google.

Only rev up when engine is warmed up (meaning oil reaches every parts in engine).
Revving a cold engine accelerates wear inside.
Other than that, engines need exercise too. (what I say to my wife when I drive with passion :D)
Of course, thanks!

Your sales guy may sound like he knows what he's talking about but clearly he does not.

As long as the motor is at operating temps you can rev to 4k and all the way up to the redline without worry.

Your sales guy may sound like he knows what he's talking about but clearly he does not.

As long as the motor is at operating temps you can rev to 4k and all the way up to the redline without worry.
Gotcha, thanks. He was really making me regret how I was driving those 14k miles. Guess 50 years of driving doesn't mean everything! I'll floor it all day today just for him :D

I think the sales guy is correct. Since our engines turbo produce max torque at ~ 2,000 rpm, there is little need to exceed that unless your having fun or need to pass safety. Bounce it off the red line if you want and as often as you want. Ed

…there is little need to exceed that [2000 rpm] unless your having fun…

Bingo. If I wanted a basic boring driving experience I’d have purchased a Toyota. The CX-5 is a lot of fun if driven correctly, I use manual mode most of the time to keep the revs up when I want them. The OP’s salesman sounds like a typical office drone….

I think the sales guy is correct. Since our engines turbo produce max torque at ~ 2,000 rpm, there is little need to exceed that unless your having fun or need to pass safety. Bounce it off the red line if you want and as often as you want. Ed
OP said NA engine.

Its fine, I agree don't rev up a cold engine too much, but once up to temp, do whatever, it's fine. I drive mine pretty spirited. There's no reasons to drive like a granny.

I'll floor it all day today just for him :D
The above responses are to the point. But all day? Would that be every day? Not a good idea. But if you can't help yourself change the oil every 3,000 miles.

OMG I remember the old days of pre fuel injection and leaded gas.
My dad used to drive like a granny, so whenever I got the chance to take the car out, I would drive it with a little spirited action, and my goodness, the crap that flew out of the exhaust when I pushed it was unbelievable. It was so fouled and carbonated up that running the snot out of it cleaned everything out.
When I finally got it home, it was running 100% smoother. Ah, the memories.

The Italian Tune up never really worked and what it sort of did was clean the center and side electrodes on the spark plugs. That has been one of the top 10 biggest MYTHS of all times regarding vehicles.
Actually it can and did caused broken piston rings performing the "Italian tune up" because of carbon in and around the ring lands of the piston cause the ring to lock in place and break. We didn't have the WWW to tell all those tales so the MYTH survives and is still growing.

RED lines on factory engines were established for the highest safest engine operation for a short period of time. Constantly running up and down to red line does accelerate engine wear.

"Italian Tune Up" is all about burning off carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. :) It's a must for an RX-7.
If it hurt the car to rev it to 4k then the redline would be 3900rpm.

Once its warm, go at it. If there's a problem, it's on Mazda because revving it to 4K isn't abuse. No way.

"Italian Tune Up" is all about burning off carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. :) It's a must for an RX-7.
If it hurt the car to rev it to 4k then the redline would be 3900rpm.

Once its warm, go at it. If there's a problem, it's on Mazda because revving it to 4K isn't abuse. No way.
I worked closely with Rotary Research when I raced Mazda's with rotary engines in the late 70's into the 80's . The practice of Italian tune up on the rotary engine did more damage then most think. First off there really is very little carbon that gets uniformly hot enough while doing the "Italian tune up" to be of any real value. Most of the carbon that come off using that practice is top layered and resent build up not the condensed old carbon build over time. You would have been much better off to find a vacuum port or directly through the carburetor(s) the slow introduction of water while keeping the engine slightly above idle speed. The water would vaporized and had cleaning effect which does not harm an engine unlike the "Italian tune up. The other problem with the Italian tune up on rotary engine is the in consist heat and hot spots created by super heating the carbon deposit quickly again using the Italian tune up. Basically if you want to warp engine parts in a rotary the best way to achieve it is by the Italian Tune up. Some have gotten away with it a time or two but consider that luck.

But I really don't care those days are gone for me and rotary engines. I only used them in professional racing not really street except my RX2 which was a rare factory hand ported engine.

About the only thing one could say to rev and engine up like the Italian job would be a vane attempt to re-seat piston ring that by babying an engine created a cylinder wall glaze preventing the ring form functioning at optimum. So a good run at RED line on a well warmed engine form about 2-3 miles flat out often times then not will break the glaze and suddenly the engine stops smoking and has a hell of lot more power. As a disclaimer this was an unofficially approved suggestion procedure by Suszuki on 1000's . But it works on automotive engine as well just not as fun. On the Susuki's RED line was 165MPH....... :D

Last edited:
When I lived in Alaska, with ice on the roads for much of the winter, winter driving had to be timid and often failed to even bring the engine up to temperature. The one DD engine I tore down in the 80s had major carbon deposits on the piston and cylinder head - how much was caused by low temps and gentle driving I don’t know. In the Spring it was de rigeur amoung enthusiasts in my autocross club to warm up the engine fully, park then spray a quart of water into the carb using the throttle to keep the engine running. Did it do any good? No one I knew actually knew so from fact, it might be more effective than an Italian tune up - but I never did one of those just to “clean out the carbon”.

I will see if I can find the articles for reference but they alluded to even more direct injection buildup if you don't exercise a direct injected engine more often with higher RPM use.

Just an FYI many often say that living in very cold climates that the engine never gets to operating temperature. This is incorrect maybe more inaccurate statement. The coolant may not get to the controlled engine operating temperature but the combustion chambers head cylinder sleeves and for the first 1-2 foot of exhaust system does. So, while we are driving and feeling cold inside the car the engine is well in its operating temperature.

If anyone has used or has EGT or a cylinder temperature gauge, then you would get a better idea about the engines actual operating temperature. Cooling systems primary job is to control the engine from overheating.

The most direct influence in extreme operating environments on an ECU controlled engine is the emission may be higher. The spark in the combustion chamber does not change up to about 3000 RPM at which time most ignition systems start declining in performance anyway and the fueling will still be adjusted for load, IAT and throttle position naming a few of the most common, so generally the engine will still be running pretty close at optimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back