New Mazda5 transmission won't engage after install

Hi, it's me again, with this endless transmission installation 🥳

I installed a "new" used automatic transmission from a 2005 Mazda 5 on my 2006 Mazda 5

The transmission won't engage and the wheels won't turn...in drive and reverse, nothing is happening....

I did not put any oil in the torque converter when I reinstalled it and I flushed the old transmission fluid with a new filter. I put new ATF, only 3.5 quarts and its already full. I started the car and let it run for 5minutes. I don't think the level has been down...

I'm wondering if the transmission pump is not working, so there is no oil in the torque converter... so the transmission won't engage.

I'm also wondering if there is a procedure, when we install a new transmission, to do with a computer? I have a small basic OBD2 and I reset any code but I'm wondering if the new transmission has to be reprogrammed to the new car?

Thanks🙏

So I've never done and automatic transmission swap or rebuild...but the pump is internal and integral to the transmission. If it's bad, you need a new transmission.

Apparently some Torque Converters need to be primed before re-installing the transmission. Don't know on this car. This means you have to remove the transmission and prefill.

Otherwise, if it can be filled dry, you need to fill the thing while the engine is running and it should fill the Torque Converter. Have 12qts ready. The way the most of these pumps work is the crank of the engine, spins them and they fling fluid around internally and some gets in the torque converter. I imagine, don't expect it to be speedy.

Car won't move anywhere until the TC has some fluid in it.

I suggest watching lots of youtube videos on torque converters and reinstalling automatic transmissions.

No idea on the TCM...sorry if I can't be anymore help.

Back